Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

sudden howling sound

darkkillity

my yamaha loudspeaker suddenly start a howling sound and the volume was increasing non stop while i was editing patches on pod hd pro x, i put the master volume of the pod down but the noise was increasing so i turned off the speaker.... i have no idea what went wrong and if it was pod problem or the speaker? 

any help would be greatly appreciated 

thanks

On 10/5/2018 at 12:51 AM, brokenbones said:

I doubt it's the speaker. Make sure buttons aren't sticking then I'd check cables and their connections. I'm not too familiar with Pro X. Can you try a different input? XLR or 1/4"?

i was using XLR cable, I'll try 1/4 and see how it goes. but after turning the master volume of the pod all the way down didn't stop the howling sound increasing made me wonder if it's the speaker fault. 

and I've noticed the patches change randomly then go back to the main screen while I'm playing guitar. I'm not lucky with line 6 :\

21 hours ago, silverhead said:

Is your firmware up to date? I recall reports of similar sounding issues long ago. They were resolved, also long ago, with a firmware update.

i updated the firmware one month ago i think. I'll check if it's up to date. 

15 hours ago, pfsmith0 said:

Could you be using SPDIF somewhere in your system? Master volume doesn't control that. I don't think it controls the CD/MP3 input either, in case you're using that. 

i don't know about the SPDIF but while playing normally i change the volume of the master, only when the howling sound came all of sudden the master volume didn't have any effect. 

btw... i remember changing the LIFT and GRD switch, is it possible to cause that sound or it only remove the hum noise? 

I suppose that's possible. Howling is usually a feedback problem, so I'd ficus on that (although it is a simple experiment to switch those GND switches. Another idea, use headphones instead of the Yamaha speakers. Does it howl with that? It maybe feeding back from external speakers to microphonic pickups on your guitar.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2018 at 4:25 PM, pfsmith0 said:

I suppose that's possible. Howling is usually a feedback problem, so I'd ficus on that (although it is a simple experiment to switch those GND switches. Another idea, use headphones instead of the Yamaha speakers. Does it howl with that? It maybe feeding back from external speakers to microphonic pickups on your guitar.

i tried everything and no howling sound.. hopefully it stays this way. i turned the volume of the speaker as low as possible to make sure if it happen again it won't destroy my ears :|