Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Hi! Before I start some more threads, a few high-level questions...

* Can FS1 + 2 be re-assigned, the way 3 (+ 4, 5) can? Right now, it seems not, but is it ever planned?

* Can the Tuner be decoupled from the Tap button?

* I'd like for the Tuner to ALWAYS be available on a long-press of FS3, but I do not need the Tap button at all

* I'd settle for re-assigning the Tuner to a long-press of FS4 or FS5 but that's not in the options

Cheers!

19 hours ago, pott24 said:

Hi! Before I start some more threads, a few high-level questions...

* Can FS1 + 2 be re-assigned, the way 3 (+ 4, 5) can? Right now, it seems not, but is it ever planned?

* Can the Tuner be decoupled from the Tap button?

* I'd like for the Tuner to ALWAYS be available on a long-press of FS3, but I do not need the Tap button at all

* I'd settle for re-assigning the Tuner to a long-press of FS4 or FS5 but that's not in the options

Cheers!

FS1 & FS2 cannot currently be reassigned.

The tuner can't be decoupled from the tap button but tap/tuner can be reassigned to FS4 or FS5.  FS3 can be reassigned to do quite a few things too.

6 hours ago, DarrellM5 said:

FS1 & FS2 cannot currently be reassigned.

The tuner can't be decoupled from the tap button but tap/tuner can be reassigned to FS4 or FS5.  FS3 can be reassigned to do quite a few things too.

Thanks; that's indeed exactly what's in the manual and options. Guess there's no override then. Shame; here's hoping future updates allow us to do that! It'd be great to have FS3 always be Stomp 3 (or whichever) + Tuner on long press... or have the Tuner on any footswitches!

I'm hoping someone can answer a question I have about connecting the HX Stomp to studio monitors. I'm planning on buying a pair of M-Audio BX8 D3 8" studio monitors for use with the Stomp. Am I able to use Balanced 1/4" TRS to XLR cables to connect to the studio monitors? Sorry if this is a newbie question, I am trying to get as much info before I pull the trigger on this beautiful piece of gear

This is a fabulous looking product, but once again LINE 6 loyalists that have bought into the Variax products still have ZERO options other than the flagship models if they want to take full advantage of their guitars features. The lack of a VDI port is very disappointing. 

I just bought an HX stomp.  After a few days I have decided it is pretty cool, but trying to figure out the practical use.  for a year now I have used my Helix for gigging, studio, and band practice.  I thought this could be used in place of Helix at band practice and maybe even gigging. But with only 3 foot switches not sure how I will pull this off.  Anythoughts from the forum the best way to do this.  In the Helix world I have several presets with a few snapshots each.  

1 hour ago, creesenator said:

I just bought an HX stomp.  After a few days I have decided it is pretty cool, but trying to figure out the practical use.  for a year now I have used my Helix for gigging, studio, and band practice.  I thought this could be used in place of Helix at band practice and maybe even gigging. But with only 3 foot switches not sure how I will pull this off.  Anythoughts from the forum the best way to do this.  In the Helix world I have several presets with a few snapshots each.  

Well, if you find the foot switches aren't enough, I think then the ability to add two more switches is the first option I'd look at.

13 hours ago, Emperor_Samoth said:

I'm hoping someone can answer a question I have about connecting the HX Stomp to studio monitors. I'm planning on buying a pair of M-Audio BX8 D3 8" studio monitors for use with the Stomp. Am I able to use Balanced 1/4" TRS to XLR cables to connect to the studio monitors? Sorry if this is a newbie question, I am trying to get as much info before I pull the trigger on this beautiful piece of gear

Yes.

XLR and TRS are just connectors. What goes in the cable is the same.

I use XLR to TRS balanced cables in my system too sometimes, depending on which monitors and cables I have handy at the time.

Those M-Audios also have TRS inputs, so you could also go TRS->TRS on the cable if you wish.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rikio said:

I just got the HX Stomp. It's pretty slick but unusable without the HX Edit. When will the software to support editing be released, or I'll have to return this. I don't have hours to edit patches on a 2" screen.

The new firmware and HX Edit should be out any day now. I'd hardly say the Stomp is unusable without the editor, though. I mean, I've had access to Stomp and HX Edit via the beta for the last few months, and I still edit on the unit more often than not. It's not difficult at all if you take a few minutes to get the hang of it. Renaming things is the main time saver with the editor, imo.

Hi, I have a question which I don't think have been directly addressed yet.  My objective of asking is to understand if there is any difference in INPUT and OUTPUT levels between HX Stomp and HX Effects:

Question: If I configured HX Stomp with say 3-6 pedal effects in a chain (no amp or cab) and plug it into front of a real amp, can I expect it to sound exactly the same as HX Effects with the same 3-6 pedal effects (at the same settings) in a chain plugged into the same amp, or will it sound different because the INPUT/OUTPUT levels/impedance may be different between the two boxes?

16 hours ago, phil_m said:

I mean, I've had access to Stomp and HX Edit via the beta for the last few months, and I still edit on the unit more often than not. It's not difficult at all if you take a few minutes to get the hang of it. Renaming things is the main time saver with the editor, imo.

That's good to hear... I was wondering about that. For me this is very similar to how I program the HX Effects... 95% on the unit, then I use the editor for mass naming updates only.

I'm not home and can't try it, so I'm sorry for being impatient and asking on here :)

Can the HX Stomp run 2 x amps in parallel?

I saw nothing prevent it from happening. DSP limitations will come into play, but that's not a huge deal for me.

I come from the AX8 where this isn't possible at all, hence my curiosity.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, tbmaurer said:

Hey,

first post. I got my HX stomp yesterday. Everything sounds great. However, It won't connect to HX Edit. Says no device present. My Helix connects no problems. Stomp firmware is 2.65.0 and HX Edit is 2.60. Is this a defective unit or am I just waiting for the 2.70 update?

Same here!!!

On 10/10/2018 at 9:48 AM, tbmaurer said:

Hey,

first post. I got my HX stomp yesterday. Everything sounds great. However, It won't connect to HX Edit. Says no device present. My Helix connects no problems. Stomp firmware is 2.65.0 and HX Edit is 2.60. Is this a defective unit or am I just waiting for the 2.70 update?

2 minutes ago, Kborg said:

Same here!!!

There's no HX Edit support for the Stomp yet. It will be available with the soon-to-be-released 2.70 update.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/14/2018 at 9:55 AM, Kilrahi said:

Well, if you find the foot switches aren't enough, I think then the ability to add two more switches is the first option I'd look at.

Maybe, but I already have the Helix and I am trying to get smaller.  By the time I add an external foot switch and expression pedal, now I need a pedal board, and I am basically back to my Helix.

I like the stomp, lots of power in a little box, the tones are great, and maybe I will figure out when to use it.  For now the Helix is probably a better fit for home studio, guitar rig, gigging, etc.. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, phil_m said:

There's no HX Edit support for the Stomp yet. It will be available with the soon-to-be-released 2.70 update.

A little challenging to build and work with presets in HX stomp without HX edit.  It can be done, but difficult, especially if you are used to HX edit.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, phil_m said:

The new firmware and HX Edit should be out any day now. I'd hardly say the Stomp is unusable without the editor, though. I mean, I've had access to Stomp and HX Edit via the beta for the last few months, and I still edit on the unit more often than not. It's not difficult at all if you take a few minutes to get the hang of it. Renaming things is the main time saver with the editor, imo.

With respect, I agree with rikio in this regard: I have both the Helix Floor and the Helix LT.  I have patches on them that should work on the Stomp, and I'd like to use HX Edit to do as much of the work of copying those 100 or so patches as possible.  I use those  patches at gigs.  Certainly, the Stomp is a useable device right out  of the box.  One can try the stock patches and fairly easily build custom patches right on the Stomp itself.  But for the brute force effort of recreating 100 patches efficiently, the promised ability of HX Edit 2.70 to allow copying blocks is indispensable.  In fact, I wish one could copy entire paths; where an element of the path won't work, it could flag that for the user, or correct it if possible.  For example, if the path input is a Variax, that could easily be corrected automatically to Guitar.  Sends and Returns could be flagged for user decision how to handle them.  Copying an entire path would surely make things pretty easy.  I got my Stomp on Friday, and haven't even plugged a guitar into it, partly because I've been flat out busy, but also because I need the editor to move my gig patches project along as efficiently as possible.  I'd really like to know when 2.70 will be released.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/14/2018 at 12:37 PM, codamedia said:

This is a fabulous looking product, but once again LINE 6 loyalists that have bought into the Variax products still have ZERO options other than the flagship models if they want to take full advantage of their guitars features. The lack of a VDI port is very disappointing. 

Playing devil's advocate here, but given that the Helix LT, which isn't a flagship, has a VDI port, is that really fair?

I'd mention that the Firehawk FX has VDI too, but it does very much look like Line6 has abandoned that line.

I have a Variax but, to be honest, I very seldom use it with my Helix LT and given the diminutive size of the HX Stomp I can appreciate why finding space for a VDI port on the Stomp wasn't high on their list of priorities. 

1 hour ago, foxmeister said:

I have a Variax but, to be honest, I very seldom use it with my Helix LT and given the diminutive size of the HX Stomp I can appreciate why finding space for a VDI port on the Stomp wasn't high on their list of priorities. 

I think it's a huge strategical mistake from L6.

I had a firehawk with my variax before and i've bought a Helix LT to improve my rig. Those solution were coherent to work with a Variax, it's able to feed it, but more than that, it can provide to command the model, the tuning etc....

When i gig i can play the rythm on a spank model capo 3 and clear tone and change it by one click for solos with a gibby P90 normal tuning and tone knob on 5....

With the stomp, nothing attracted me more than another brand, i loose all those benefits (i don't even speak about the midi command or L6 link abscence).

If i want a backup, i will meet the same matters as another device, today i would probably go to MOOER G200 to do this......

38 minutes ago, SteveFrance said:

I think it's a huge strategical mistake from L6.

It's not... The first shipment of Stomps sold out pretty much everywhere the first day they were on the market. Retailers have said that interest in the Stomp is off the charts right now in the sense that more people are calling and asking about than any other product. The number of Variax users is a tiny sliver of the guitar market.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, phil_m said:

It's not... The first shipment of Stomps sold out pretty much everywhere the first day they were on the market. Retailers have said that interest in the Stomp is off the charts right now in the sense that more people are calling and asking about than any other product. The number of Variax users is a tiny sliver of the guitar market.

Well, a bunch of places sold out but as far as I can tell only Sweetwater and Musician's Friend were immediate, and you can still find it in places.

Now, with that said, I don't disagree with you.  It seems to be a very popular product. I'm one of those saddened by the lack of a Variax port, but if they really couldn't find a way to add it without increasing the size I get it.  The fact is this little device is aimed for a slightly different target audience.

What they need to do is invent a product for Variax owners that lets them use a phone app to tweak it on the fly however they want.  Then it will largely be a non issue. The smaller percentage of Variax users fall in love with the excellent control abilities on the Helix and Firehawk lines and it's hard to go back to the slow modification method on the Variax itself.

Oh, and I ordered my stomp from Musician's Friend. Tragically they say it won't be available until 11/15 . . . I'm hoping that's an overly pessimistic estimate . . .

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

Well, a bunch of places sold out but as far as I can tell only Sweetwater and Musician's Friend were immediate, and you can still find it in places.

Now, with that said, I don't disagree with you.  It seems to be a very popular product. I'm one of those saddened by the lack of a Variax port, but if they really couldn't find a way to add it without increasing the size I get it.  The fact is this little device is aimed for a slightly different target audience.

What they need to do is invent a product for Variax owners that lets them use a phone app to tweak it on the fly however they want.  Then it will largely be a non issue. The smaller percentage of Variax users fall in love with the excellent control abilities on the Helix and Firehawk lines and it's hard to go back to the slow modification method on the Variax itself.

Oh, and I ordered my stomp from Musician's Friend. Tragically they say it won't be available until 11/15 . . . I'm hoping that's an overly pessimistic estimate . . .

You can have mine.  After a week I have decided this is not for me.  I am a big fan of the Helix and I was looking for something smaller that I didn't need to haul around.   Thought this was it, but after playing with it for a week it is too small and not enough foot switches.  Sure I could add an external pedal and foot switch, but now I need to break out my pedal board and I am back to something the size of the Helix and I need to worry about cables and power.   Sounds great, but tough to similate the Helix.  If you are a Helix user you probably won't enjoy this.  If you have never used the Helix and you are more of a pedal board guy, which most people are, this is probably a great option.     The perfect unit for me would be something more like the sizeof the Helix effects, with the power of the Helix.  

31 minutes ago, creesenator said:

You can have mine.  After a week I have decided this is not for me.  I am a big fan of the Helix and I was looking for something smaller that I didn't need to haul around.   Thought this was it, but after playing with it for a week it is too small and not enough foot switches.  Sure I could add an external pedal and foot switch, but now I need to break out my pedal board and I am back to something the size of the Helix and I need to worry about cables and power.   Sounds great, but tough to similate the Helix.  If you are a Helix user you probably won't enjoy this.  If you have never used the Helix and you are more of a pedal board guy, which most people are, this is probably a great option.     The perfect unit for me would be something more like the sizeof the Helix effects, with the power of the Helix.  

Pretty much exactly the conclusion I came too.

I'd love a Helix in that form factor, audio quality  & price. I could probably live with no expression-pedal, and 3 snapshot switches. However, this won't take my Helix presets due to not enough blocks, etc. Maybe there will be a G2...

11 hours ago, foxmeister said:

Playing devil's advocate here, but given that the Helix LT, which isn't a flagship, has a VDI port, is that really fair?

The Helix LT is $1500 here in Canada, just $500 less than the full blown Helix and still double the price of an HX Effects or HX Stomp. Just because a handfull of I/O's have been removed doesn't make the unit any less powerful than it's big brother.... I would still consider it a flagship. Not to mention, it is pretty much the same size and weight as a Helix which is a problem for some users. 

11 hours ago, foxmeister said:

given the diminutive size of the HX Stomp I can appreciate why finding space for a VDI port on the Stomp wasn't high on their list of priorities. 

This is something I fully understand.... but they could have if they wanted to :)    (eg: TRS Returns like the sends are done would have provided the necessary real estate)

I'm not stupid... I know that L6 has a plan and a VDI port was likely discussed several times in R&D meetings. I just find it odd that a company doesn't provide more options for one of their own products. Not including a VDI port on the Stomp or Effects won't hurt those product sales, but it certainly doesn't generate any Variax interest or sales! 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

I'm not stupid... I know that L6 has a plan and a VDI port was likely discussed several times in R&D meetings. I just find it odd that a company doesn't provide more options for one of their own products. Not including a VDI port on the Stomp or Effects won't hurt those product sales, but it certainly doesn't generate any Variax interest or sales! 

I actually don't think a VDI port ever considered. Originally, the Stomp was conceived as an even smaller device. I saw the very first prototype rendering saw back in 2016 and it had two buttons and was about the size as one of the two-button Strymon pedals. It was tiny. They made it wider because they couldn't actually fit all the electronics in that form factor. As it now, everything is crammed in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

I actually don't think a VDI port ever considered. Originally, the Stomp was conceived as an even smaller device. I saw the very first prototype rendering saw back in 2016 and it had two buttons and was about the size as one of the two-button Strymon pedals. It was tiny. They made it wider because they couldn't actually fit all the electronics in that form factor. As it now, everything is crammed in there.

That hardly implies it wasn't discussed.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:54 AM, pott24 said:

I'm not home and can't try it, so I'm sorry for being impatient and asking on here :)

Can the HX Stomp run 2 x amps in parallel?

I saw nothing prevent it from happening. DSP limitations will come into play, but that's not a huge deal for me.

I come from the AX8 where this isn't possible at all, hence my curiosity.

Just got some time and tried it. It works. Mixing Mardhalls and non-marshall models work pretty well! More to come.

The AX8 doesn't allow you to do that. The HX Stomp does. So much to explore just from that...

It does, however, seem to use a TON of CPU... I only managed to put an OD and 2 x amp + cabs on my preset. Not even a Reverb fits.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, codamedia said:

I just find it odd that a company doesn't provide more options for one of their own products. Not including a VDI port on the Stomp or Effects won't hurt those product sales, but it certainly doesn't generate any Variax interest or sales! 

This is exactly what i'm thinking.

And yes, i think it's a bad strategy !

Of course, it's a good product that will attract new customers but that's just another (light) modeler among so many others......But nothing tell that those customers will stay with L6.

The Variax Owners are more linked to the brand and really believe in the  modeling world. This new stomp box don't prevent them/us to go elsewhere.

The two last devices don't provide a VDI port. The HX FX  corresponds to a stomp box so it's not incoherent to be absent

What does it mean ? Variax is surrendered ? We have enough money to throw that we just have to buy the more expensive device or the old ones ?

I'm really disapointed, i feel like i was wrong to trust in their products, there's no cheaper new solutions that works as that i have !!!!!

11 hours ago, pott24 said:

Just got some time and tried it. It works. Mixing Mardhalls and non-marshall models work pretty well! More to come.

The AX8 doesn't allow you to do that. The HX Stomp does. So much to explore just from that...

It does, however, seem to use a TON of CPU... I only managed to put an OD and 2 x amp + cabs on my preset. Not even a Reverb fits.

One option is to merge the 2 paths after the amps and share a cab or IR.  That frees up some room for a couple of effects.

2 hours ago, SteveFrance said:

Of course, it's a good product that will attract new customers but that's just another (light) modeler among so many others......But nothing tell that those customers will stay with L6.

The Variax Owners are more linked to the brand and really believe in the  modeling world. This new stomp box don't prevent them/us to go elsewhere.

The two last devices don't provide a VDI port. The HX FX  corresponds to a stomp box so it's not incoherent to be absent

What does it mean ? Variax is surrendered ? We have enough money to throw that we just have to buy the more expensive device or the old ones ?

I'm really disapointed, i feel like i was wrong to trust in their products, there's no cheaper new solutions that works as that i have !!!!!

VDI would have been nice but it would have blown up the size of the unit.  I can still use my JTV-69 with the HX Stomp via the 1/4" cable.  True I have to manually switch models but it's not a big deal for me.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Line 6 come out with some sort of separate Variax interface that could integrate with the HX Stomp; They are reserving a couple of the USB paths for something.  Also, I keep expecting to see a new Variax based on the Revstar guitars.

2 hours ago, SteveFrance said:

The Variax is not being abandoned in any way, shape or form... It's just that the Stomp was not designed for that particular use case. The Stomp was designed to provide Helix-level modeling in a small form factor that could fit on pedalboards or be thrown into a gig bag. I mean, I do get how it would be convenient for Variax users to have tiny all-in-one rig. I just think those users don't represent enough of a market to justify trying to squeeze a VDI port in.

I actually think that adding proprietary inputs on devices can backfire on companies. There are many users who have no interest in buying a Variax, so from their perspective, they may not the like the fact they were paying for an extra input that they're never going to use.

10 hours ago, DarrellM5 said:

One option is to merge the 2 paths after the amps and share a cab or IR.  That frees up some room for a couple of effects.

That doesn't work either. If I have Timmah or kinky boost in front, I can do 2 x amp+cabs, or 2 amps + 1 cab, but either way I can't add anything else to the chain... not even a looper!

Same with two clean amps. Just room for an OD, and two amps, and that's it. So it's fairly limited if you wish to use effects.

For a good, dry tone however, it really opens up a lot of options.

• Upvote 1

I've been using Helix Native for about a year, and, until recently, I wasn't in love with it. Then, I started watching some videos on YouTube, and got a deeper understanding of how to actually edit and create presets, and now...I love it.

So, I decided to buy the HX Stomp to use as a quick "go-to" device for my studio, for tracking guitars directly. I have a fairly well-equipt room, with lots of amps, cabs, mics, etc., so I have a lot of options to choose from, when tracking guitars.

I unboxed the HX Stomp, plugged it into a mic pre, opened my DAW (Pro Tools HD), turned on the device, plugged in a guitar, and...was immediately disappointed.

The output sounds nothing like the realistic, rich sounds that I am getting from Helix Native. I checked to make sure I was using the correct inputs and outputs, made sure I had the input set to instrument, and the output to line. Everything is set up correctly, but the output sounds thin and fizzy...really abd!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

1 hour ago, tdawgg said:

I've been using Helix Native for about a year, and, until recently, I wasn't in love with it. Then, I started watching some videos on YouTube, and got a deeper understanding of how to actually edit and create presets, and now...I love it.

So, I decided to buy the HX Stomp to use as a quick "go-to" device for my studio, for tracking guitars directly. I have a fairly well-equipt room, with lots of amps, cabs, mics, etc., so I have a lot of options to choose from, when tracking guitars.

I unboxed the HX Stomp, plugged it into a mic pre, opened my DAW (Pro Tools HD), turned on the device, plugged in a guitar, and...was immediately disappointed.

The output sounds nothing like the realistic, rich sounds that I am getting from Helix Native. I checked to make sure I was using the correct inputs and outputs, made sure I had the input set to instrument, and the output to line. Everything is set up correctly, but the output sounds thin and fizzy...really abd!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If you’re going through the factory presets, be aware the first bunch of preset banks are all effects-only with no amp or cab modeling, so if you play through those direct, they’ll sound bad. They all have “FX” in the preset name.

6 minutes ago, phil_m said:

If you’re going through the factory presets, be aware the first bunch of preset banks are all effects-only with no amp or cab modeling, so if you play through those direct, they’ll sound bad. They all have “FX” in the preset name.

I did a lot of research online, before I purchased the unit, so I am aware that there are "FX" and "DIR" presets, as well as artists presets.

I'm going to try using some of the Ownhammer IR's I have and see if that sounds better...I know that I had to do a lot of "tweaking" with the Helix Native plug-in, to get it to sound the way I wanted, hping I can do the same with the HX stomp

3 minutes ago, tdawgg said:

I did a lot of research online, before I purchased the unit, so I am aware that there are "FX" and "DIR" presets, as well as artists presets.

I'm going to try using some of the Ownhammer IR's I have and see if that sounds better...I know that I had to do a lot of "tweaking" with the Helix Native plug-in, to get it to sound the way I wanted, hping I can do the same with the HX stomp

Well, all the modeling algorithms are exactly the same on the Stomp and Native. The main difference in your case would be the interface you’re using for Native.

I'm using the input to my UAD 4-710 preamp as an input for  HD Native,into the DAW ,guitar plugged straight into the pre and...same input for the HX Stomp output...which could be the problem..I'm thinking I need to run at least one balanced TRS from the Stomp to the line in of the UAD, although I did run the out of the HX straight into the patch bay and into the interface, but, with an instrument cable, bypassing the pre..I'll try a balanced cable into the mic pre line in..I did open a session with Native on one (stereo) track and the HX on one (from the Hi-Z input on the UAD), and there is definitely a difference

6 hours ago, tdawgg said:

I'm using the input to my UAD 4-710 preamp as an input for  HD Native,into the DAW ,guitar plugged straight into the pre and...same input for the HX Stomp output...which could be the problem..I'm thinking I need to run at least one balanced TRS from the Stomp to the line in of the UAD, although I did run the out of the HX straight into the patch bay and into the interface, but, with an instrument cable, bypassing the pre..I'll try a balanced cable into the mic pre line in..I did open a session with Native on one (stereo) track and the HX on one (from the Hi-Z input on the UAD), and there is definitely a difference

When you're recording with Helix Native, do you have a dry guitar track recorded ?

If so, can you run that back through the Stomp (via USB), to see if the Stomp modelling sounds the same as what you have on Native ?

That is, for comparison purposes, use your existing input hardware through the Stomp.

In the future, I think I'd be looking to use the Stomp IO with your native set-up