Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FAQ

Digital_Igloo

8 minutes ago, zachdrummond said:

I don't want the front end effects blocks (pitch, dynamics, drives) to be stereo. Can I go in through the HX Stomp's L input, and out the L output for this signal chain? I imagine leaving this routing always connected to my board. I won't always run a stereo amp. I normally play my AC30/6 in mono. I don't currently have a second amp to complete my stereo rig.

The stereo is simply an option for some (not all) effects. The effects that do have it you don't have to use it (which saves on DSP). Yes, you can go in through the left mono input and out the left mono output for this chain. Simply set the pitch, dynamics, drives to be mono blocks, not stereo.

My pedalboard is routed in stereo with a Goodwood Audio Interfacer at the end that sums my L and R signals to mono. I cancel this summing when I want to send stereo signals to two amps. I would like to be able to send the R channel out of the Interfacer to the R input of the HX Stomp. Then process that signal with amp modeling blocks and IR's. Then send that signal to FOH out the R output of the HX Stomp.

Here's where you start to hit a few speed bumps. Assuming you did the first thing above (used left mono input in to out left mono output) you would have to have this second path go in the HX Stomp's left mono return/aux in, hit whatever amp modeling/IRs you want, then out the Send Stereo jack (but even though it has a stereo option it can still be mono, it's one jack) on the HX Stomp to the front of the house.

We're talking about sticking things in different holes here, but up to this point I think the holes available will cause you to hit the same musical high points you're looking for.

Is this routing possible? Would I still have 2 more pathways of processing? I would like to use the effects send/return IO on the side of HX Stomp for delay processing if possible. 

Beyond that, no, you don't have 2 more pathways of processing power since the Stomp, currently as far as I can tell, can only do two pathways at any one time probably as a result of it having only two signal chains possible. This means you run out of the ability to do delay processing on the FX loops.

Am I asking too much of this device? 

Perhaps.  It depends on how vital each function you describe is. You should also consider the 6 block limitation of the Stomp. I have no idea how much you're hoping to do in path A or B, but if it gets too crazy you run out of blocks pretty quick. If it's just amps, then that's not a big deal at all. .  It certainly does some of it, but it breaks down at external delay loops. You may be able to think of another way to accomplish essentially the same thing with a little ingenuity (i.e. is there any way you could use the Stomp's delay abilities instead?), but if you get too complex with you're routing then you're starting to get into the territory of the HX Stomp's older brothers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zachdrummond said:

Another question: do the delays in Helix family products offer stereo ping pong for every algorithm? I currently use a Strymon TImeline as my main delay. I find it mildly infuriating that the only delay algorithm on that device that offers ping pong is the dual delay. I want that on EVERY kind of delay if I'm running a stereo signal. 

This goes kind of with my question posted above. I see the HX Stomp useful for processing my signal before the current pedalboard, and as a stereo amp. If it could take over delay duties from the Timeline though, oh man I would buy that!

The entire Line 6 modeling thinking is largely to mimic real world amps and effects. Consequently, because not all real world delays have a ping pong ability the Helix Effects don't always have that either.  Line 6's thinking is probably, "If you love a delay with ping pong effects, we certainly have a solid version of that here."

I've never personally been a huge fan of ping pong effects so off memory I can't say how many have a ping pong effect, but in my personal opinion its assortment of delays can more than handle what the Strymon TimeLine (which is a respectable pedal, no doubt) brings to the delay table.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

The entire Line 6 modeling thinking is largely to mimic real world amps and effects. Consequently, because not all real world delays have a ping pong ability the Helix Effects don't always have that either.  Line 6's thinking is probably, "If you love a delay with ping pong effects, we certainly have a solid version of that here."

I've never personally been a huge fan of ping pong effects so off memory I can't say how many have a ping pong effect, but in my personal opinion its assortment of delays can more than handle what the Strymon TimeLine (which is a respectable pedal, no doubt) brings to the delay table.

Thank you for your insight! This helps a lot!

On 11/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, zachdrummond said:

Thank you for your insight! This helps a lot!

Hi,

I’ve only just spotted your question about “ping pong” effect on delays in Helix family of products. If you really wanted to add some movement to your delays, you could add a stereo panner to create a pseudo version of the effect. The another way to fake the panning is to use a stereo tremolo effect. Not really a true ping pong, but it will throw your signal around. Give it a try, it may not be exactly what you are looking to achieve, but it could be fun.

Regards

LATE EDIT:

I must be going mad, because I already knew this to be correct. Stereo delays do move around!

I have just switched on the Helix in the studio and selected a stereo simple delay, and the repeats bounce around from speaker to speaker. In fact every stereo delay model does the same. The scale and spread control how much the signal leaps around.

I won't say forget about my previous suggestions regarding panning and tremolo because they work great with a mono signal feed (I use that tremolo/auto pan trick on mono signals in Logic all the time).

So, to clear up the confusion - YES! stereo delays do auto pan from side to side, depending on how you set them with scale and spread.

Right - I will go back to sleep again!

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone has used the return-in as an aux-in for an mp3 player.

I connected my ipad with a 3.5mm stereo to two 1/4inch cable and found the volume of the tracks very low despite the ipad being at full volume.

The only adjustment I gathered from the manual is to change the return type to 'aux in' in the global settings, unless there was something else I had missed.

I get round this by lowering my preset's volume and raising the volume knob on the stomp.

While this would work on my own presets, the factory presets will then be too loud.

Wanted to know if this is normal before I spring for another cable to try again.

13 hours ago, sundance_kiddsg said:

Just wondering if anyone has used the return-in as an aux-in for an mp3 player.

I connected my ipad with a 3.5mm stereo to two 1/4inch cable and found the volume of the tracks very low despite the ipad being at full volume.

The only adjustment I gathered from the manual is to change the return type to 'aux in' in the global settings, unless there was something else I had missed.

I get round this by lowering my preset's volume and raising the volume knob on the stomp.

While this would work on my own presets, the factory presets will then be too loud.

Wanted to know if this is normal before I spring for another cable to try again.

Just wanted to update that I’d gone and got myself a new cable and the situation has improved significantly. Must have had a faulty one earlier.

• Like 1

Hello there.

Is there any way (without hooking up external switch) to change preset by foot in the play view? (I would say, eg. press two right buttons simultaneously to go up, two left simultaneously to go down)

If not, then:

Is there any compact midi controller you would know, that would fulfill those:

1) three buttons

2) small

3) can be programmed so that one button changes between play/preset view, and the other two are page up/page down.

Thank you very much in advance!

Mike

14 minutes ago, groovadile said:

Hello there.

Is there any way (without hooking up external switch) to change preset by foot in the play view? (I would say, eg. press two right buttons simultaneously to go up, two left simultaneously to go down)

If not, then:

Is there any compact midi controller you would know, that would fulfill those:

1) three buttons

2) small

3) can be programmed so that one button changes between play/preset view, and the other two are page up/page down.

Thank you very much in advance!

Mike

Well, "Play View" has four modes, and since 3 of the 4 modes have this ability (simply pressing FS1 + FS2 or FS2 + FS3) I assume you mean in the stomp mode of play view.

As far as I know, no, if you can't or don't want to hook up an additional switch you have to bend over OR, I think, you can set FS3 to cycle somewhat but then you loose the tempo/tuner ability (I think on that last part - I have only kind of fiddled there).

If you want a midi controller that can do it, my research indicates this is the best one and that it can do it:   https://www.morningstarfx.com/mc6-mkii

It's a pricey little beast but it sure seems like it can do a lot. I've been tempted to put it on a Christmas wish list, but then I have to ask myself why if I need that to enjoy my Stomp I didn't just buy an LT.

Hindsight, 20/20, and all that.

• Sad 1

I just got a Onstage exp pedal (model is KEP100), can't seem to make it work with any of the volume/wah/pitch blocks...tried adjusting every parameter I could think of, and followed the instructions in the manual, as well.

Will this exp pedal work with the HX Stomp? 

Is there a comprehensive list of 3rd party pedals that will work with the HX Stomp?

24 minutes ago, tdawgg said:

I just got a Onstage exp pedal (model is KEP100), can't seem to make it work with any of the volume/wah/pitch blocks...tried adjusting every parameter I could think of, and followed the instructions in the manual, as well.

Is there a comprehensive list of 3rd party pedals that will work with the HX Stomp?

There was a bug introduced with the latest firmware. It's made it difficult to have expression pedals or switches function properly. It's possible your issues are related to that. I know I struggled getting two additional switches to work last night.

Supposedly a patch is on the way soon.

6 hours ago, tdawgg said:

Not sure about a complete list but i’m using the Dunlop DVP4 Mini Volume X to keep to a small footprint. 

As a single pedal I got it to work without a hitch. 

My problem came when adding a second pedal. Both pedals kept registering as EXP2, due to a bug Kilrahi mentioned. The temporary fix was to go into Global Settings and set FS4 to “All bypass”. If it is already in “All bypass”, scroll it to something else and back to “All bypass” again. That did the trick for me for now until the bug is fixed, hopefully in the next update. 

Hi,

I would like to buy Stomp version but I’m not sure about blocks, can I do this:

1-    1 stereo amp, 1 stereo cab or IR and 4 stereo effect. + stereo aux Input from FOH, witch will go only for headphone out for my inear monitor?

or

2.    2 different amp, 2 different cab or IR and 2 stereo effect. + stereo aux Input from FOH, witch will go only for headphone out for my inear monitor?

Thanks for all replies.

7 hours ago, sundance_kiddsg said:

Not sure about a complete list but i’m using the Dunlop DVP4 Mini Volume X to keep to a small footprint. 

My problem came when adding a second pedal. Both pedals kept registering as EXP2, due to a bug Kilrahi mentioned. The temporary fix was to go into Global Settings and set FS4 to “All bypass”. If it is already in “All bypass”, scroll it to something else and back to “All bypass” again. That did the trick for me for now until the bug is fixed, hopefully in the next update. 

Based on your mention, I just ordered 2x DVP4 Mini Volume X- I have 2x mini DODs but they feel flimsy and loose and I cannot adjust the tension so I want to find another mini pedal that works for my smaller board I am building. Also what cable are you using for the stomp to run both?

5 hours ago, Gnollozorr said:

Hi, I still couldn´t find out how the signal is processed by the HX Stomp. Is the pedal all digital and turns everyting in 1s and 0s and back or is it more like "analog dry trough" where the effects are mixed to the clean analog signal.

It’s all digital, although the variable impedance circuit on the input is analog. But there’s no analog dry path. That doesn’t really work with multi-FX pedals where you have drive pedals and amp models.

9 hours ago, sundance_kiddsg said:

The exp pedal I'm using is hard-wired, with a TRS end. It does have a polarity switch, and also a knob to control parameter.

I tries the "bug workaround", still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

The reason I bought this pedal is because a) it was inexpensive (won't be gigging w/the HX) and b) an online retailer showed it as part of a "bundle", along with the HX, so I figured they must have tried it, before offering it as part of a bundle.

I only intend on using the pedal occasionally.

I did buy a relatively cheap two-button switch, that works fine for turning blocks off and on. It also uses a TRS cable, the only "issue" is you have to step on FS5 (the two button switch) twice, to get the block to turn off or on..not a big deal.

1 hour ago, tdawgg said:

The exp pedal I'm using is hard-wired, with a TRS end. It does have a polarity switch, and also a knob to control parameter.

Any suggestions?

The reason I bought this pedal is because a) it was inexpensive (won't be gigging w/the HX) and b) an online retailer showed it as part of a "bundle", along with the HX, so I figured they must have tried it, before offering it as part of a bundle.

I did buy a relatively cheap two-button switch, that works fine for turning blocks off and on. It also uses a TRS cable, the only "issue" is you have to step on FS5 (the two button switch) twice, to get the block to turn off or on..not a big deal.

Honestly, I think until they actually fix the bug in question it's going to be hard to trouble shoot anything. In all likelihood problems are the bug, but in rare occurrences it might be the pedal. I'd bank on the bug right now.  I know it's frustrating but we're kind of stuck sitting on our hands for now. 

22 hours ago, macnevine said:

Based on your mention, I just ordered 2x DVP4 Mini Volume X- I have 2x mini DODs but they feel flimsy and loose and I cannot adjust the tension so I want to find another mini pedal that works for my smaller board I am building. Also what cable are you using for the stomp to run both?

Prelude:

My unit was still on firmware 2.65 when I started using 2 DVP4 Minis as expression pedals. I couldn't figure out why both pedals kept registering as EXP2. I spent last weekend soldering and resoldering my TRS>2XTS cable but nothing worked until I stumbled upon the FS4 trick.

Like an idiot I went and update my firmware to 2.7 and then the FS4 trick didn't work.

Happy ending:

I recalled reading on gearpage that there was another fix. Credit to gearpage member Disaster Area who suggested the following:

Go to Global settings and select Footswitches
Set FS3 Function to TogglEXP
Exit from Global settings (eg click View)
Tap FS3 until the display shows "EXP1 Active!"
Go back to Global settings and reset FS3 back to whatever you had before. Mine was TAP/TUNER

Voila! Back in business!

My cable was a self made one using and old audio stereo cable.

TRS_2XTS_zpsldukpdxx.jpg

I am waiting the arrival of my morningstar mc6 to setup my pedalboard.

HX_Stomp_001_zpsk0q8opdo.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tdawgg said:

Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear your expression pedal didn't work. I'm afraid I don't have an answer.

All I can think of is to test the unit with another effects unit to see if the problem lies with the expression pedal itself.

I didn't have issues using the dunlop dvp4 as a single expression pedal, only when using 2 of them.

Hope somebody else has an answer for you. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Maikilove said:

Hi.

Is it possible to connect an audio player to the HX Stomp to study a song and play on it?

For example, connect a stereo cable and listen to an mp3 song with the headphones while playing the guitar at the same time.

Yes you can. That’s exactly what I was doing as described a few posts earlier. I used a 3.5mm to 2xTS cable to plug my iPad into the Return jacks on the HX Stomp.  Just remember to set the Return as “Aux In” in the Global Settings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maikilove said:

Hi.

Is it possible to connect an audio player to the HX Stomp to study a song and play on it?

For example, connect a stereo cable and listen to an mp3 song with the headphones while playing the guitar at the same time.

Yes it is. I do this rather frequently. If your device has a USB out instead of a headphone jack then you'd use the Stomp's USB in. You'd probably have to buy the right cord connections for it, but it's doable.  If it has a headphone jack then you'd probably need an adapter so that the cord will fit into a standard guitar input, but those are pretty cheap ($6 for 4 on Amazon when I bought them).

• Like 1

I have Native. Can HX Stomp control Native? I want to be able to change snapshots and presets with the Stomp. It would be a great way for me to use presets with more than 6 blocks when needed.

Edited by taracatac
Can't reply to response

9 hours ago, taracatac said:

I have Native. Can HX Stomp control Native? I want to be able to change snapshots and presets with the Stomp. It would be a great way for me to use presets with more than 6 blocks when needed.

Hi,

Simple question - Why?

If you want to change presets and snapshots, and use more than 6 blocks, you can - it’s called Helix Native and you already have that.

I really don’t comprehend why you would need to use HX Stomp to do this, it’s completely unnecessary.

16 hours ago, taracatac said:

Instead of having an audio interface and midi controller, to control Native,  I was thinking I could use the HX Stomp in place of both. So I am hoping I can control Native via MIDI through the Stomp. I could also use the stomp as an ultra portable rig.

Hi,

Re: MIDI control messages etc.

You need to read the reply from forum user “soundog” to the question you posted in the Helix Native Forum pages. When cross posting you may miss the info you need.

See:

https://line6.com/support/topic/37545-can-i-control-native-with-hx-stomp/?tab=comments#comment-273963

I liked the HX STOMP so much I decided to return it to get the full sized helix floor that better fit some of my needs.  I do have 2 x Morningstar MC6's that I am now going to sell.  If you are interested hit me up.  They are about 220 new. Make me a reasonable offer to save you some $.  Mine are the original MC6.

Struggling to find good power for this.... I have a strymon Zuma a Voodoo labs current doubler (two to 1 y cable) and a 2.1mm dc cable that i use for my h9. plug it all together into hx stomp and nothing, won't even power up.   The reason I bought this was because in the manual it says that it seems to work fine of a Zuma r300 with two outputs doubled together and the outputs on that are the same to a standard Zuma so I'm a bit confused either I am doing something wrong or have the wrong cables can anyone help as I really want to get this onto my pedalboard.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Re: MIDI control messages etc.

You need to read the reply from forum user “soundog” to the question you posted in the Helix Native Forum pages. When cross posting you may miss the info you need.

See:

https://line6.com/support/topic/37545-can-i-control-native-with-hx-stomp/?tab=comments#comment-273963

That doesn't really answer my question either, which is why I posted here. AFAIK, the midi control capabilities for the HX Stomp are somewhat limited, and probably won't work for my intended purpose. It appears an interface and MIDI controller is the way to go.

56 minutes ago, lewisguitardude said:

Struggling to find good power for this.... I have a strymon Zuma a Voodoo labs current doubler (two to 1 y cable) and a 2.1mm dc cable that i use for my h9. plug it all together into hx stomp and nothing, won't even power up.   The reason I bought this was because in the manual it says that it seems to work fine of a Zuma r300 with two outputs doubled together and the outputs on that are the same to a standard Zuma so I'm a bit confused either I am doing something wrong or have the wrong cables can anyone help as I really want to get this onto my pedalboard.

Polarity is the issue. The H9 requires a center positive connection, and that little 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapter reverses the polarity so that the polarity at the barrel is center positive. The Stomp requires a center negative connection. You can still use that little adapter, but you need to reverse the polarity again so it goes back to center negative. Get one of these cables to put between the current doubler and the adapter, and you'll be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 6:02 PM, perrymusica said:

Buenas tardes, tengo la HX stomp y me encanta!! la consulta que tengo es que al conectarla por Usb y usarla como placa de sonido para grabar, el audio se corta por momentos usando cubase. Tengo la X3 live y no pasa eso. Que puede ser?

Hola, 

Si pudiera proporcionar más información, sería más fácil encontrar una solución. 

¿Qué versión de Cubase? 

¿Qué computadora y sistema operativo - Windows o Mac?

9 hours ago, emec0612 said:

Looking for recommendations for footswitches to do the FS4/5 connection on the HX Stomp. The smaller the better. I'm a Helix first time owner. Thanks!!

Was using two Dunlop tap tempo switches with my Boss MS3 a while ago. 

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m199-7-10137-08777-4.do

They are tiny and should work. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roberttheprole said:

I'm wanting to get a couple momentary switches for the stomp. I'm wondering weather the switch needs to be normally open or closed??? Anybody?

Either one will work. You can change the polarity in the Global Settings menu to accommodate either. At the normal polarity, it's set up to work with normally-open switches.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, emec0612 said:

Looking for recommendations for footswitches to do the FS4/5 connection on the HX Stomp. The smaller the better. I'm a Helix first time owner. Thanks!!

This about the least expensive dual switch I've found:http://saturnworkspedals.com/product/amp-device-switches/

Select "Momentary Double Switch Normally Open Soft Touch TRS" from the pulldown. It's $27 plus $2 shipping (to the US).

trs-soft-touch-2-web.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, emec0612 said:

The recommendations above are probably the best choices if you have the patience to wait for them. I bought the Boss FS-6 because I wasn't feeling particularly patient that day and all the local music stores had one. It's price wasn't absurd either at about $60.

Things I like about it, it's not the smallest pedal, but it still has a decently small footprint, and it runs for a pretty solid while on a 9 volt battery and it feels pretty sturdy. What I don't like about it is Boss always seems to put crappy bottoms on all their pedals making it a nightmare to attach it to a pedal board.

Something to consider though:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-fs-6-footswitch/421384000000000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP