Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FAQ

Digital_Igloo

On 12/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, phil_m said:

This about the least expensive dual switch I've found:http://saturnworkspedals.com/product/amp-device-switches/

That's the one I ordered, but I think 

I ordered that same saturnworks switcher, but confused how to connect it though. I have a trs cable, but I thought the switch needs two jacks? How does that work?

2 hours ago, Roberttheprole said:

I ordered that same saturnworks switcher, but confused how to connect it though. I have a trs cable, but I thought the switch needs two jacks? How does that work?

It can be really confusing.  

A TS cable is a cable that sends one signal. A TRS cable sends two signals. The Stomp can take either a TS cable OR a TRS cable, but if you want to have a dual footswitch or dual pedals you need a TRS cable - because that's two signals, not one.

As for the switcher, if it's going to be a dual switch it has to either have two TS jacks (i.e. it goes from dual signal single jack in Stomp to one signal dual jack for the dual switch) or one TRS jack (i.e. dual signal jack to dual signal jack).  In the picture I can't see what type of jack the above switcher has, but if it has only one jack then it means you have a TRS connection.

To take advantage of that you would need a single TRS cable. A link to one is below.  Notice how the tips have two rings instead of just one?  That's for the dual signals.

https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-SATRX-3-Black-Patch/dp/B0052NR4MM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545716300&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=trs+cable&psc=1

• Thanks 1

Hey all,

I'm wanting to use the Stomp as a simple multi effects unit, I don't need the amp/cab sims right at this moment, I just want to be able to dump a few pedals off of my board. I'm using a Boss effects switcher(I have an ES-5 and an ES-8)and I read somewhere that using the Stomp through a loop switcher was a tone wrecker. Is this true? If I can't run it through a loop on my ES-5, and switch that loop off without it killing my tone, I may have to look elsewhere. I love the form factor and I've heard the sounds are great, but this could be a dealbreaker for me. Any insight would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, pbass6811 said:

Hey all,

I'm wanting to use the Stomp as a simple multi effects unit, I don't need the amp/cab sims right at this moment, I just want to be able to dump a few pedals off of my board. I'm using a Boss effects switcher(I have an ES-5 and an ES-8)and I read somewhere that using the Stomp through a loop switcher was a tone wrecker. Is this true? If I can't run it through a loop on my ES-5, and switch that loop off without it killing my tone, I may have to look elsewhere. I love the form factor and I've heard the sounds are great, but this could be a dealbreaker for me. Any insight would be appreciated. 

Where did you hear that?  That's like saying running a Wampler pedal through a looper switcher is a tone killer. An HX Stomp either perfectly takes in your guitar signal and perfectly sends it out processed or unprocessed.  All an ES-5 or ES-8 does is choose which flood gates are open.  Your Stomp and tone will be just fine. 

• Like 1

I've just purchased the HX Stomp and I'm struggling to find out how to change the light rings around the footswitches for snapshots - I've done this on my Helix LT and I assumed that it could be done on the HX Stomp. So, does anyone know if it can be done and how to do it? Thanks

31 minutes ago, Kevin-M said:

This is the one I use. It's sturdy, runs great. Takes a 9 volt battery. Just make sure you purchase a TRS to split TS cable (though technically this one also takes a single TRS to TRS cable, but I prefer the former because it future proofs you in case you decide to buy the Mission Helix pedal, which is awesome).

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Maikilove said:

Hello partners.

I have the boss pedal FS7 and I would like to know how to assign blocks to the buttons FS4 and FS5.

Thank you.

There are three steps.  The first is the obvious one - connect your pedal to the HX Stomp with the appropriate cable. The second is to clarify that you want a dual footswitch connected. To do that go to the following:

Global Settings > Preferences

1. Set Exp/FS TIP to FS4 instead of the default of "EXP 1."

2. Set Exp/FS RING to FS5 instead of the default of "EXP2."

The next step is to specify what you want that footswitch to do, and it is found under "Global Settings > Footswitches."

1. Specify what you want FS4 to do (i.e. Stomp 4, bank up, down, preset up, down, snapshot up, down, etc.)

2. Specify what you want FS5 to do (same as step 1 above).

Buenos días/noches, compañeros!

Alguien me podría decir cómo borrar algunos de los tonos/presets que vienen preinstalados de fábrica para añadir en su lugar nuevos?
...o la única opción es la de "modificar y renombrar" los que trae de fábrica...

Muchas gracias!

Salu2

Good morning/night, fellas!

Could someone tell me how to delete some of the factory pre-installed tones/presets to add new ones instead?
...or the only option is to "modify and rename" the factory presets...

Many thanks and regards!

2 hours ago, Maikilove said:

Hello partners. I can not get the tempo of the delays to the rhythm of my foot. How is it configured?

Thanks

You need to set the delay time to a note value subdivision. On the unit itself, simply press the knob under the delay time and you'll see the value change from milliseconds to note values. Once you do that, you can turn the knob to select whatever note value you want. That note value will be tied to the tap tempo.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, Bapho said:

Buenos días/noches, compañeros!

Alguien me podría decir cómo borrar algunos de los tonos/presets que vienen preinstalados de fábrica para añadir en su lugar nuevos?
...o la única opción es la de "modificar y renombrar" los que trae de fábrica...

Muchas gracias!

Salu2

Good morning/night, fellas!

Could someone tell me how to delete some of the factory pre-installed tones/presets to add new ones instead?
...or the only option is to "modify and rename" the factory presets...

Many thanks and regards!

Hola compañero.

Yo he copiado y borrado presets con el software del ordenador.

En la HX Stomp no he visto esa opción.

Saludos.

Hello.

I have copied and deleted presets with the computer software.

In the HX Stomp I have not seen that option.

Greetings.

1 hour ago, Maikilove said:

Hola compañero.

Yo he copiado y borrado presets con el software del ordenador.

En la HX Stomp no he visto esa opción.

Saludos.

Hello.

I have copied and deleted presets with the computer software.

In the HX Stomp I have not seen that option.

Greetings.

It's kind of hidden. To copy a preset, select it. Then click the "view" and "action" buttons to save it, but before you actually click the final step to save it, twist the knob and it will let you select a new location, thereby copying the preset.

The only way I know of to delete a preset on the Stomp is to highlight a blank preset, and repeat the steps above to save that blank preset over an existing one.

Hello guys, it's my first new post here  

Ok, well, I have some important questions about the HX Stomp Dual FootSwitch/ Exp pedal connections

On the rear panel I see a jack Exp 1/2   FS 4/5,  my first question :

1) Can I use a double FootSwtich + the Expression pedal? For exapmple, let's say a Boss FS-6 (that I own) and an Exp pedal . I ask that because on the manual I see only the connection example of two Exp pedals, but not a combo of FootSwitch + Pedal...would it be possible?

2) The Exp 1/2  FS 4/5 jack on the rear panel has a TRS connection, so two signalscan be feed,as shown on the page 42 of the manual . In the same page I'm looking to the " One Expression Pedal"  it uses only the tip, my question: by using an Y cable inserted into the HX Stomp can I have the TIP connected to the Exp Pedal and the RING to a single Boss FS-5U ?

3) Does the Line6 FBV2 work with Hx Stomp? 

4) I have a Line 6 EX-1 Expression pedal, does it work with HX Stomp?

Let me know

Thaaank you so much!!

1) Can I use a double FootSwtich + the Expression pedal? For exapmple, let's say a Boss FS-6 (that I own) and an Exp pedal . I ask that because on the manual I see only the connection example of two Exp pedals, but not a combo of FootSwitch + Pedal...would it be possible?

If I understand you right, no. Yes, you could potentially connect them, but the port only sends two signals - using an expression pedal AND two footswitches is three signals.

You can connect them, but only one of the dual foot switches will function.

2) The Exp 1/2  FS 4/5 jack on the rear panel has a TRS connection, so two signalscan be feed,as shown on the page 42 of the manual . In the same page I'm looking to the " One Expression Pedal"  it uses only the tip, my question: by using an Y cable inserted into the HX Stomp can I have the TIP connected to the Exp Pedal and the RING to a single Boss FS-5U ?

Yes you can.

3) Does the Line6 FBV2 work with Hx Stomp? 

Nope. The FBV2 uses a cat 5 cable, which is not compatible with the HX Stomp.

4) I have a Line 6 EX-1 Expression pedal, does it work with HX Stomp?

Honestly, it should. However, there are some reports of expression pedals not working, nevertheless, if I had to bet money on it Line 6's own expression pedal works in this case.

Dear Friends,

Three questions to help me chose between the HX Effects or the HX Stomp.

1. Does the HX Stomp employ the same Transtronic Transistor & Diode Emulation (si & Ge) as does the HX Effects?

2. Does the HX Stomp employ the same Throbber virtual light bulb as does the HX Effects?

3. Do the amp and cab simulations/ IR's in the HX Stomp apply only to computer recording or to run out to a mixing board at a gig? Or, are they perfectly useable out of real Amps?  My set-up is simple. Guitar - Effects - stereo out to two amps for composing and mic recording. 

Thanks and best wishes, Matt

3 hours ago, theorboman123 said:

Dear Friends,

*Cracking Knuckles*

1. Does the HX Stomp employ the same Transtronic Transistor & Diode Emulation (si & Ge) as does the HX Effects?

Wait . . . what the what?! What did I get myself into. What does the above refer to?  All I know is in terms of sound quality and comparables it is 1 to 1 identical. So if the above is about sound . . . yes . . . if it's about how well each makes a pizza, sorry man. Can't help you there. You're more advanced than me. 

2. Does the HX Stomp employ the same Throbber virtual light bulb as does the HX Effects?

Virtual light bulb . . . did I buy the wrong Stomp? Can this thing sufficiently light my basement?

Are you talking about the blinking dudads on the foot switch thingies? 

Damn it to hell I'm useless on this one too. 

3. Do the amp and cab simulations/ IR's in the HX Stomp apply only to computer recording or to run out to a mixing board at a gig? Or, are they perfectly useable out of real Amps?  My set-up is simple. Guitar - Effects - stereo out to two amps for composing and mic recording. 

I think I can do better here. They apply to everything BUT you really don't want to use them on traditional amps, so the very thing you're curious about is usually a no go.

Based on your much more complex questions above I worry you already know this and I'm just wasting your time, but for the same reason you usually don't want to send an amp signal through another amp, you don't want to layer a virtual amp over a real one. 

4 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

[...]

I think I can do better here. They apply to everything BUT you really don't want to use them on traditional amps, so the very thing you're curious about is usually a no go.

Based on your much more complex questions above I worry you already know this and I'm just wasting your time, but for the same reason you usually don't want to send an amp signal through another amp, you don't want to layer a virtual amp over a real one. 

On that basis, it would seem that the amp modelling features in the Stomp are of no benefit; whereas all the effect modelling in the HX Effects are.

AIUI, both are kind of cut-down versions of the Helix. The Stomp offers less blocks, and a more primitive user-interface; the HX Effects is like a Helix without the amp modelling.

That would suggest the HX Effects offers better functionality for the money, to this user.

13 hours ago, theorboman123 said:

Dear Friends,

The effects on the Stomp and HX Effects are exactly the same. The Stomp has amp modeling, and the HX Effects does not. Beyond that, there are the form factor and workflow differences, as well as difference in the ins and outs. The HX Effects can change channels on your amp, the Stomp can't, for instance. The HX Effects can also be used as a formidable MIDI controller, and the Stomp can't.

Dear  Kilrahi, Scallybert & Phil-m,

Many thanks for your responses. I am now leaning toward the HX Effects.  Another week of research and try-out at Sam Ash (if they have either or both on the "floor").

Indeed, the midi functionality, having 9 blocks, and the ability to turn individual effects on and off in real time is a big positive factor. 

I just did think of one more question. 

1. Are the custom tones created by users (y'know, regular guys like us, devilishly handsome, 61/2 feet tall with far too much chest hair) "cross-useable?" Meaning, if you go to the

"customtone" downloads section on Line6's site and you have, for example, the HX Effects, can you use a "custometone" created for the HX Stomp for your HX Effects unit?

Thanks again and best wishes to all.

Matt 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, theorboman123 said:

1. Are the custom tones created by users (y'know, regular guys like us, devilishly handsome, 61/2 feet tall with far too much chest hair) "cross-useable?" Meaning, if you go to the

"customtone" downloads section on Line6's site and you have, for example, the HX Effects, can you use a "custometone" created for the HX Stomp for your HX Effects unit?

Because of the differences in all of the product ranges, the customtone section is broken down by product.

Technically, you could have cross compatibility, it just depends on how the tone is setup. For example, an HX Effects custometone that has only six blocks would be usable on a Stomp. A Stomp custometone that has no amp or cab modeling would be usable on an HX Effects. However, I think you'll find that a vast majority of the time HX Effects users use more than 6 blocks, rendering them unusable for the Stomp, and most Stomp users have some sort of amp/cab in their tone. Helix tones are also technically cross compatible, but you hit the same problems. Most have an amp - which the HX Effects can't do (you'll basically get an error message if you try), and most have more than six blocks, which kills the Stomp.

For this reason, you're best to assume that they are not cross compatible.

I do think you're making a wise choice about which unit you are choosing.  The HX Effects sounds like the perfect choice.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, hudomir said:

Hi all,

I am interested in HX stomp, but I have one question. What will be the best way to go to FOH and have a FRFR monitor on stage, since it has only 2 outputs?

If you aren't going stereo, you can just use the left and right main outputs. Put one to front of house, put the other to your monitor.

You can also use the FX Send if you split off with a path B (so you could have the two outputs go to the front of house and the FX send go to your monitors). The only dilemma here is you'd need to dedicate one block to do this. 

Fingers crossed that Line 6 gives us more blocks in the future. 

I'm using the Line 6 HX Stomp power supply through the courtesy outlet on my Voodoo Power Plus2, but is there some sort of adapter to turn the thing 90 degrees so it's not sticking straight up? Or has anyone found a short extension cable to put it under your board - still using the courtesy outlet?

4 hours ago, Plunders said:

I'm using the Line 6 HX Stomp power supply through the courtesy outlet on my Voodoo Power Plus2, but is there some sort of adapter to turn the thing 90 degrees so it's not sticking straight up? Or has anyone found a short extension cable to put it under your board - still using the courtesy outlet?

Well, you could always try this little beastie:

Maximm Cable 3 Feet 360° Rotating Flat Plug Extension Cord/Wire, 3 Prong Grounded Wire 16 Awg Power Cord - Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075KPJKTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SCYxCbBZWY1MY

Hello partners.

It's the first time I use an expression pedal, I bought a cheap one, a Donner.

I've made it work on the hx stomp. But the pedal travel goes from 0 to 10 and from 10 to 0. The 0 is at the beginning and end of the route and the 10 is in the middle.

How can I do so that 0 is at the beginning and 10 is at the end of the route?

Thank you.

Question about Scroll Mode for the HX Stomp. As I read it in the manual, it should work as Preset Up, Preset Down and then Tap/Tempo for FS3. However, when Scroll Mode is activated it says Shapshot up (FS1) / Snapshot down (FS2) instead of Preset Up/Down. 

Does the Stomp automatically recognize whether you've set FS4 and FS5 functions to either Snapshot up/down or Preset up/down and then change FS1/FS2 accordingly so they don't match? 

I like it this way actually, but I'm curious. 

Hi,

Hope this is right thread for this problem/question. 

I am having trouble connecting the Trio+ via the HX Stomp --》 and to active studiomonitors.  

Used to connect via 4CM to a Katana ,in front of a Fender Deluxe and on a HX Effects (infront of katana). 

This is a new setup and I am struggling to do the right connections. 

When I open the return/send block I never get a good enough result. Its like putting it in the front. The drums are awful. 

Any tips on how I can navigate to get a better result? Its Ok without an Amp block but when I enable an amp it gets fizzy. Also tried to tame it by changing parameters ib the send/return block. 

Hope u excuse my English, not my 1st launguage. 

Greatful for any answers, coz I'm really stuck.