Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Hello

I have several packages of presets bought for helix and since I no longer have the Helix I am looking for a way to introduce these packs in my HX Stomp so as not to lose them. how can I do it?
 Helix native can load and work with these pre-configured Helix presets? and copy them in some way in the HX Stomp?
Does anyone know another way to do it?

GOOD FRIENDS AND FELLOW GUITAR GEEKS!

Recently purchased a small two-button MIDI switch that I was hoping to use as a Bank-up/Bank-Down switch for presets on my board.....

Let’s say it turns out MIDI isn’t my strong suit.......Can anyone throw me a bone and guide me through the process?

5 hours ago, ferargue said:

Hello

I have several packages of presets bought for helix and since I no longer have the Helix I am looking for a way to introduce these packs in my HX Stomp so as not to lose them. how can I do it?
 Helix native can load and work with these pre-configured Helix presets? and copy them in some way in the HX Stomp?

Does anyone know another way to do it?

Yes, Helix Native is compatible with Helix presets, so you can store them first in Helix Native.

Now, compatibility with the HX Stomp is a little bit trickier.  Once in Native you have to copy and past each block individually into your HX Stomp. In theory this could be a tedious process since the Helix can have so many blocks depending on DSP usage. However, for once the Stomp's 6 block limit is a boon because each preset can only have up to six blocks for you to copy and past over. 

21 minutes ago, forfunk49 said:

GOOD FRIENDS AND FELLOW GUITAR GEEKS!

Recently purchased a small two-button MIDI switch that I was hoping to use as a Bank-up/Bank-Down switch for presets on my board.....

Let’s say it turns out MIDI isn’t my strong suit.......Can anyone throw me a bone and guide me through the process?

Ugghh . . . not necessarily my strong point either, though my first full blown midi controller arrives tomorrow so I hope to get better at it.

I think the starting out point would be for you to share the midi switch that you bought and then people here can weigh in if they're familiar with it. 

3 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Yes, Helix Native is compatible with Helix presets, so you can store them first in Helix Native.

Now, compatibility with the HX Stomp is a little bit trickier.  Once in Native you have to copy and past each block individually into your HX Stomp. In theory this could be a tedious process since the Helix can have so many blocks depending on DSP usage. However, for once the Stomp's 6 block limit is a boon because each preset can only have up to six blocks for you to copy and past over. 

Ugghh . . . not necessarily my strong point either, though my first full blown midi controller arrives tomorrow so I hope to get better at it.

I think the starting out point would be for you to share the midi switch that you bought and then people here can weigh in if they're familiar with it. 

DMC2 from disaster area

hello again, the tryal version of Helix Native allows copying and pasting effect blocks to Hx edit?

I ask because I'm trying to add block to my HX Stomp and I can not ... I do not know if there is a fault or I do something wrong

4 minutes ago, ferargue said:

hello again, the tryal version of Helix Native allows copying and pasting effect blocks to Hx edit?

I ask because I'm trying to add block to my HX Stomp and I can not ... I do not know if there is a fault or I do something wrong

It does allow it. Are you sure your HX Edit is the most recent and updated version? 

10 hours ago, huntetc said:

If I want to Jam with YouTube through the HX Stomp how can I do that? Saw the option on the manual but wasn't sure how. 

There are a number of options, and all of them are very easy. 

One of the easiest is I just bought a stereo TRS to Y TS cable and connected the two Y ends to the left and right FX return on the Stomp. I then set it to "auxiliary" in global settings, and connect the TRS end to whatever media player I'm using (phone - mine has a headphone jack, PC, MP3 player, etc.). That works perfectly (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZKM3S4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Another very easy way with a PC is to simply connect the two devices via USB. The Stomp's default settings will send the audio from youtube through the device, so you can listen with headphones to your own playing while YouTube is playing. 

12 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

There are a number of options, and all of them are very easy. 

One of the easiest is I just bought a stereo TRS to Y TS cable and connected the two Y ends to the left and right FX return on the Stomp. I then set it to "auxiliary" in global settings, and connect the TRS end to whatever media player I'm using (phone - mine has a headphone jack, PC, MP3 player, etc.). That works perfectly (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZKM3S4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Another very easy way with a PC is to simply connect the two devices via USB. The Stomp's default settings will send the audio from youtube through the device, so you can listen with headphones to your own playing while YouTube is playing. 

Awesome thanks! I appreciate it!

Hello @Digital_Igloo,

I figured I'm not the only one in the web with the same question but I couldn't find the answer.

So here I go:

When using the HX stomp as a USB interface, is it possible to monitor something ELSE than the "main out" in the headphones?

(Explaination: I want to hear the click/metronome in my headphones, while sending the audio without metronome to the main outs)

Thank you!

On 4/20/2019 at 8:20 AM, ttkfirst said:

Hello @Digital_Igloo,

I figured I'm not the only one in the web with the same question but I couldn't find the answer.

So here I go:

When using the HX stomp as a USB interface, is it possible to monitor something ELSE than the "main out" in the headphones?

(Explaination: I want to hear the click/metronome in my headphones, while sending the audio without metronome to the main outs)

Thank you!

Hi, “ttkfirst”,

I wouldn’t hold my breath, waiting for a response from DI on this forum. The best thing to do to contact Eric (Klein) would be to post on TGP or the Helix group on Facebook. Line 6 staff rarely bother to post on here.

As for your question, I’m not certain because I don’t own a Stomp, but I don’t think that is possible. If I am giving you the wrong information then someone on here will, no doubt correct me.

If you’re using the USB for recording via a DAW  you could listen to the metronome, or click from that!

Regards

On 4/20/2019 at 2:20 AM, ttkfirst said:

Hello @Digital_Igloo,

So here I go:

Thank you!

I haven’t used my Stomp as an interface, but there is info on USB signal routing on page 44 of the Stomp manual. It may be possible with a little creativity. Take a look there first. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear HX Stomp users,
I am ready to purchase my HX Stomp and I have two questions, I hope somebody can help me:
(1) Real tube amp has preamp, power amp, and speaker. I want to use my tube preamp Kingsley Constable pedal which is based on Marshall Plexi.
So, I don't want to use amp modeling in HX Stomp but only power amp modeling and I.R. cab simulation.
In amp models in HX can I use only  power amp section and not to use preamp section?

(2) I plan to use my external stereo delay and reverb pedals, sound-wise, is it better to use them in HX Stomp FX loop or just place them after the HX Stomp? Placing them after HX Stomp would give me more blocks available but my decision would be based on sound.

Thank you,

Henry

1 hour ago, henrykc said:

Dear HX Stomp users,
I am ready to purchase my HX Stomp and I have two questions, I hope somebody can help me:
(1) Real tube amp has preamp, power amp, and speaker. I want to use my tube preamp Kingsley Constable pedal which is based on Marshall Plexi.
So, I don't want to use amp modeling in HX Stomp but only power amp modeling and I.R. cab simulation.
In amp models in HX can I use only  power amp section and not to use preamp section?

No, you can't. However, the Kingsley sounds pretty good plugged directly into the effects return of an amp so you should be fine just using it with an IR. Probably take some tweaking. 

1 hour ago, henrykc said:

(2) I plan to use my external stereo delay and reverb pedals, sound-wise, is it better to use them in HX Stomp FX loop or just place them after the HX Stomp? Placing them after HX Stomp would give me more blocks available but my decision would be based on sound.

Thank you,

Henry

I prefer to put most effects, including reverb, after because then you save on internal Stomp DSP. However, one of the recent posters using delay pedals didn't like that option because he said that it wouldn't allow him to maintain the delay trails when he manually switches them off. 

I prefer to use the Stomp's delays so that's never been an issue for me. 

1 minute ago, Kilrahi said:

No, you can't. However, the Kingsley sounds pretty good plugged directly into the effects return of an amp so you should be fine just using it with an IR. Probably take some tweaking. 

I prefer to put most effects, including reverb, after because then you save on internal Stomp DSP. However, one of the recent posters using delay pedals didn't like that option because he said that it wouldn't allow him to maintain the delay trails when he manually switches them off. 

I prefer to use the Stomp's delays so that's never been an issue for me. 

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilding a Helix preset in HX Stomp takes well over 30 seconds. Line 6 should update the 2.71 system so that it can import presets from one device to another. The only problem of the HX Stomp which is limited to 6 blocks?

13 hours ago, alechat said:

Rebuilding a Helix preset in HX Stomp takes well over 30 seconds. Line 6 should update the 2.71 system so that it can import presets from one device to another. The only problem of the HX Stomp which is limited to 6 blocks?

Supposedly it gets better with 2.8 update, but yeah, 6 blocks is a big problem. Helix presets don't specify how many blocks are used, so what would the Stomp do if it tries to download one with more? There's no way that can work.

I've got a rythm patch,I have my expression pedal set to Wah with auto engage/Disengage active,

I have my external footswitch 5 to toggle on and off reverb/Delay and a volume boost,I use this for solo's

Separately this set up works fine but if I activate Footswitch 5 for a solo and try to bring in my Wah wah which is supposed to auto engage it doesn't work,
any work around so it will?

Cheers

10 hours ago, gatgod77 said:

I've got a rythm patch,I have my expression pedal set to Wah with auto engage/Disengage active,

I have my external footswitch 5 to toggle on and off reverb/Delay and a volume boost,I use this for solo's

Separately this set up works fine but if I activate Footswitch 5 for a solo and try to bring in my Wah wah which is supposed to auto engage it doesn't work,
any work around so it will?

Cheers

But the wah wah engages just fine if switch 5 is not engaged?

That seems like a glitch as it should work.

Can you share your patch so some of us can look at it?

• Like 1

The more I get into the stomp the more I realize how limited it is. I may end up returning it. Just wish there was something between the stomp and the LT. My problem is size. Needs to fit in carry on luggage. I do alot of fly gigs. I know the fractal fits but would rather stay line 6.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/22/2019 at 1:07 AM, Kilrahi said:

But the wah wah engages just fine if switch 5 is not engaged?

That seems like a glitch as it should work.

Can you share your patch so some of us can look at it?

Yes,separately alls well,works as it should,

but if I activate my solo Footswitch(FS5)  the wah wont auto engage or work at all,
and if I activate wah and then activate FS5  the wah will lock on to where ever it was when I hit FS5
eg Toe full forward or half way etc.

I'm fully updated to the latest firmware

KEA - MAIN.hlx

Edit.

I think the switch I'm using might be of the latching variety,

Switches have to be momentary?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, Kilrahi said:

There are three steps.  The first is the obvious one - connect your pedal to the HX Stomp with the appropriate cable. The second is to clarify that you want a dual footswitch connected. To do that go to the following:

Global Settings > Preferences

1. Set Exp/FS TIP to FS4 instead of the default of "EXP 1."

2. Set Exp/FS RING to FS5 instead of the default of "EXP2."

The next step is to specify what you want that footswitch to do, and it is found under "Global Settings > Footswitches."

1. Specify what you want FS4 to do (i.e. Stomp 4, bank up, down, preset up, down, snapshot up, down, etc.)

2. Specify what you want FS5 to do (same as step 1 above).

I was completely lost with utilising my recently acquired FS-6 until I found this & it's worked a treat - much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Wiewior said:

Does anybody know what's the recommended headphones impedance for HX Stomp? There's no info in manual. Some people say the phones amp in Stomp is weaker than in bigger Helix devices.

Hi,

It seems that it has been mentioned that the HX Stomp headphone power is less than Helix Floor unit.

There is a thread with a similar discussion here if it helps:

https://line6.com/support/topic/37617-good-open-backed-headphones-preferred-with-hx-stomp/

Edit

See post #2008 from Digital Igloo in this thread from TGP

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-hx-stomp.1981420/page-101

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking into getting a HX Stomp to integrate with my pedalboard! I'm using a Musicomlab EFX - LE to control my pedals and it has 6 loops + a volume loop that I use in 4CM with a H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40! Is it possible to hook up the Stomp via it's effects loop into two of the loops of the EFX - LE in order to control which effects to be pre/post amplifier?

5 hours ago, muppeman said:

Hi, I'm looking into getting a HX Stomp to integrate with my pedalboard! I'm using a Musicomlab EFX - LE to control my pedals and it has 6 loops + a volume loop that I use in 4CM with a H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40! Is it possible to hook up the Stomp via it's effects loop into two of the loops of the EFX - LE in order to control which effects to be pre/post amplifier?

Yeah, you can do that. 

4 hours ago, muppeman said:

Can you show a diagram of some sort or in some way describe how the chain for that looks like?

Diagramming it is not my forte. I'll try to describe it, but doing these things verbally is a real pita. Keep in mind I don't own one, but I've helped others using the exact same kind of device so I get what's going on, but it's always about matching every single thing up well.   The Stomp can do what you're wanting to without the additional device so unless you have loads of other stuff you're trying to implement, I'd kind of recommend bailing on the Musicomlab, but again, I'm not saying there aren't good reasons you're using it.  Your setup is a personal thing. 

Cabling:

1. Guitar in to "In" on the Musicomlab EFX - LE. 

2. 1/4 Out from "SND 1" on the Musicomlab EFX - LE to the HX Stomp "L/Mono INPUT."

3. 1/4 Out from HX Stomp "SEND Stereo" to "RTN 1" of Musicomlab EFX - LE.

4. 1/4 Out from Musicomlab EFX - LE "SND 2" to Amp "guitar in."

5. 1/4 Out from Amp "effects send" to Musicomlab EFX - LE "RTN 2."

6. 1/4 Out from Musicomlab EFX - LE "SND 3" to HX Stomp's "L/Mono RETURN/AUX In."

7. 1/4 Out from HX Stomp "L/Mono OUTPUT" to "RTN 3" of Musicomlab EFX - LE. 

8. 1/4 Out from Musicomlab EFX - LE "OUT L" to Effects return of Amp. 

HX Stomp Signal Path:

(Use the factory 4cm presets to compare to the general setup)

1. Pre-amp effects of choice.

2. FX send/return left block. 

3. Post amp effects of choice. 

Okay, I think that is how to do it. If not it's VERY close. Basically, you'd keep the SND2/RTN2 loop on the Musicomlab always on so that the amp is heard. Then you could activate the SND1/RTN1 if you want pre amp effects or SND3/RTN3 loop for effects loop effects. 

12 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Diagramming it is not my forte. I'll try to describe it, but doing these things verbally is a real pita. Keep in mind I don't own one, but I've helped others using the exact same kind of device so I get what's going on, but it's always about matching every single thing up well.   The Stomp can do what you're wanting to without the additional device so unless you have loads of other stuff you're trying to implement, I'd kind of recommend bailing on the Musicomlab, but again, I'm not saying there aren't good reasons you're using it.  Your setup is a personal thing. 

Cabling:

1. Guitar in to "In" on the Musicomlab EFX - LE. 

2. 1/4 Out from "SND 1" on the Musicomlab EFX - LE to the HX Stomp "L/Mono INPUT."

3. 1/4 Out from HX Stomp "SEND Stereo" to "RTN 1" of Musicomlab EFX - LE.

4. 1/4 Out from Musicomlab EFX - LE "SND 2" to Amp "guitar in."

5. 1/4 Out from Amp "effects send" to Musicomlab EFX - LE "RTN 2."

6. 1/4 Out from Musicomlab EFX - LE "SND 3" to HX Stomp's "L/Mono RETURN/AUX In."

7. 1/4 Out from HX Stomp "L/Mono OUTPUT" to "RTN 3" of Musicomlab EFX - LE. 

8. 1/4 Out from Musicomlab EFX - LE "OUT L" to Effects return of Amp. 

HX Stomp Signal Path:

(Use the factory 4cm presets to compare to the general setup)

1. Pre-amp effects of choice.

2. FX send/return left block. 

3. Post amp effects of choice. 

Okay, I think that is how to do it. If not it's VERY close. Basically, you'd keep the SND2/RTN2 loop on the Musicomlab always on so that the amp is heard. Then you could activate the SND1/RTN1 if you want pre amp effects or SND3/RTN3 loop for effects loop effects. 

Thank you for a thorough answer! At least I know where to start now as soon as I get my hands on the HX Stomp! The great thing with the EFX - LE is that I can change the order of the loops since I have a few other pedals that I want to switch around depending on the song I play! 

• Like 2