Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Hi all

I use my HX Stomp in Snapchat mode but I have this extremely annoying thing happening almost all the time. When I touch (NOT PRESS) two footswitches at the same time the "Copy Snap 3 to 2" appears. Is there any way to disable the "touch" function so that only the "press footswitch" function is active?

Thanks for helping me out! 

1 hour ago, dejoandersson said:

Hi all

I use my HX Stomp in Snapchat mode but I have this extremely annoying thing happening almost all the time. When I touch (NOT PRESS) two footswitches at the same time the "Copy Snap 3 to 2" appears. Is there any way to disable the "touch" function so that only the "press footswitch" function is active?

Yes. You need to change the "Stomp Select" setting from "Touch" to "Press." It's found through the following:

Global Settings > Footswitches > Stomp Select > Press. 

• 1 month later...

I know that I can use Helix presets with my HX stomp, but there is something I have not found the answer to. Let's say I download a helix preset from the line 6 forums, and this preset has more than 6 blocks. When I load it onto the HX stomp, how does it decide which block to eliminate? Does it just take the first 6 blocks and put that on the HX stomp? I can't find this information anywhere, and I've downloaded many presets but I am not sure if I have the whole preset if that makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, andyfrey95 said:

So I know I can put HX Effects patches onto an HX Stomp, but can I do it the other way? Can I put HX Stomp patches on an HX Effects?

Only if there isn't an amp/cab block since the HX Effects can't do that stuff. 

• 2 months later...

hi,

question: when changing presets, does the hx read the current expression pedal setting....? or can i store a value it should go to after recalling and then only jump to the expression pedal value after moving it...?

thanks

p.s.: i not sure yet, but sometimes i think hx doesn´t react to the expression peal movement...then i move it again and it works...i can´t really calibrate it, right? does this "expression pedal 2 active" always show up, when the pedal is moved...?

5 hours ago, rudomat said:

hi,

question: when changing presets, does the hx read the current expression pedal setting....? or can i store a value it should go to after recalling and then only jump to the expression pedal value after moving it...?

thanks

p.s.: i not sure yet, but sometimes i think hx doesn´t react to the expression peal movement...then i move it again and it works...i can´t really calibrate it, right? does this "expression pedal 2 active" always show up, when the pedal is moved...?

I'm not sure I understand what your question is on that last part.

In terms of the HX, if you save a preset with specific minimums and maximums all of those things will load when you reload that preset. It won't immediately determine what position the expression pedal is in, but when you go to move it it will then react to that and adjust the expression pedal position based on where it is. 

I believe when you load a preset it assumes the pedal is floored. I'm going off memory though but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked. 

"Expression pedal 2 active" isn't what shows up if expression pedal 1 is active . . . is that what you mean? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

floored means completely open...? is there no other possibility for that...?cause normally i´d  try to have it recall a value that´s pretty much in the middle...so a have headroom up and down...

the other thing...sometimes i think it simply doesn´t react to the movement of the pedal...therefore i thought i maybe needed to calibrate it...

6 hours ago, rudomat said:

hi,

thanks

This behavior is determined by the EXP # Position setting in Global Settings>EXP Pedals. If you set to Global, the value of the parameters controlled by the expression pedal will always reflect the current position of the pedal. If you set it to Per Preset, the a specific value will be recalled with the preset, but if you switch snapshots, the parameter values will track the pedal position. If you switch it to Per Snapshot, the parameter value saved with the snapshot will be recalled and stay that way until you move the pedal.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, phil_m said:

This behavior is determined by the EXP # Position setting in Global Settings>EXP Pedals. If you set to Global, the value of the parameters controlled by the expression pedal will always reflect the current position of the pedal. If you set it to Per Preset, the a specific value will be recalled with the preset, but if you switch snapshots, the parameter values will track the pedal position. If you switch it to Per Snapshot, the parameter value saved with the snapshot will be recalled and stay that way until you move the pedal.

Thanks for the clarification Phil.

You're basically the God of all things HX. 

That's a cool global setting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, dylanburrett said:

I know that I can use Helix presets with my HX stomp, but there is something I have not found the answer to. Let's say I download a helix preset from the line 6 forums, and this preset has more than 6 blocks. When I load it onto the HX stomp, how does it decide which block to eliminate? Does it just take the first 6 blocks and put that on the HX stomp? I can't find this information anywhere, and I've downloaded many presets but I am not sure if I have the whole preset if that makes sense. 

(Sorry, my inglish is very bad, use traslator please ).  Yo lo que hago es, de un patch de Helix, tratar de dejar lo basico, 1) configuracion de Amp 2)si usa un modulador que le da un sonido particular 3) distorsion.. Se puede omitir la reverb, ya que mas que nada es un sonido ambiente . Espero te sirva

On 10/24/2019 at 12:02 PM, Kilrahi said:

Thanks for the clarification Phil.

You're basically the God of all things HX. 

That's a cool global setting. 

It is indeed hard to overstate phil_m's contributions to this forum. That is the most cogent and concise explanation of those settings I have seen.

• 1 month later...

Hey All, New to Stomp and even newer to forum, so if I missed the answer to this somewhere I apologize in advance. Got my Stomp in late October and updated the firm ware shortly after. Lost all the factory preset names and wondering how to regain them on my Stomp ?

1 hour ago, Andrewkha said:

You do not need them, believe me... 

Because, they are not that good ? I just liked that it gave me a frame of reference of who/what they were trying to emulate . I am hesitant to purchase patches due to warnings about viruses and have made a few of my own so far. Just starting out here with this type of technology

On 1/11/2020 at 6:18 PM, Snowheeler said:

Because, they are not that good ? I just liked that it gave me a frame of reference of who/what they were trying to emulate . I am hesitant to purchase patches due to warnings about viruses and have made a few of my own so far. Just starting out here with this type of technology

If you really do need them, then you can always to perform a "Factory Reset", by holding down Foot Switches 2 and 3 and then turn on the power to your Stomp. This will perform a factory restore of all globals, presets and IRs. Make sure that you have made backup "failsafe" copies of your own creations before performing the "Reset' or you will lose them. Other than that, once done your Stomp will be back to "box fresh" condition. As "Digital Igloo" (Line 6 Product Manager) says, "All presets suck!", but hey! Copy some of the factory sounds into empty slots and play around with the amp/speaker configuration, delay and reverb types etc. until you get a feel for how it all works. 

Hope this helps/makes sense. 

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Hi, folks!

Need your help on HX Stomp's Double Take. Something's wrong with mine.

While on Helix Native i get very stable stereo image the same settings on HX Stomp give me slightly but annoyingly "floating" sound from left to center to right. And it doesn't get better with any Slop value.

Preset is just Rectifier+Double take stereo.

Settings, say: doubles=1, slop=0.8, Sens=5, source= mono.

Is this an already known issue?

Thanks! Alex

hola, ayer actualice el filmware de mi Hx Stomp, de la version 2.80 a la 2.82 y no tarde mas de 5 minutos. Lo que hice primero es hacer un backups de mi setlist despues puse mi Hx en modo de fabrica (apagar y pulsar los botones 2+3 y encender) y despues le hice la actualizacion del filmware 2.82. Por lo que probe funciona todo, no puede experimentar bien si las mejoras en la calidad de las emulaciones de gabinetes es mejor que las del 2.80 pero estan bien.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

What's the MIDI IN pin assignments for HX Stomp? Planning to control it via MIDI box that has a TRS out jack instead of the 5-pin MIDI jack.

Please verify the attached photo (taken from Ramble FX on Reverb).

Thanks.

idqwv07sairbsebvrzhe.jpg

On 4/5/2020 at 3:21 AM, NJDO said:

Hi guys,

What's the MIDI IN pin assignments for HX Stomp? Planning to control it via MIDI box that has a TRS out jack instead of the 5-pin MIDI jack.

Please verify the attached photo (taken from Ramble FX on Reverb).

Thanks.

idqwv07sairbsebvrzhe.jpg

HX Stomp has normal MIDI DIN implementation; unless that particular adapter swapped the pins for some crazy reason (highly unlikely), it should work.

Hello all,

So I'm wondering if someone can help me here. I have an Boss GA-FC that I was hoping to use as a foot controller for my HX Stomp, but for the life of me can figure out how to assign anything from the HX Stomp to each switch on the foot controller. Can someone help, and will a GA-FC actually work with the HX Stomp? Thanks.

AA7C7B38-8631-45A7-8F46-0D680A3E250D.jpeg

39 minutes ago, StrangeAFC said:

Hello all,

So I'm wondering if someone can help me here. I have an Boss GA-FC that I was hoping to use as a foot controller for my HX Stomp, but for the life of me can figure out how to assign anything from the HX Stomp to each switch on the foot controller. Can someone help, and will a GA-FC actually work with the HX Stomp? Thanks.

AA7C7B38-8631-45A7-8F46-0D680A3E250D.jpeg

The GA-FC isn’t compatible with the Stomp. It uses variable voltage for the various control functions. The Stomp is looking for simple momentary switches.

• 2 weeks later...

Think of the E as meaning Edited, as in "this preset has been EDITED (i.e. changed) from its last saved version".  Just changing from the currently saved default snapshot for that preset to another preset produces that condition, even though you might not think of yourself as having edited the preset. 

• Like 1

I have a suhr RLIR.  Currently I’m just running it straight into the stomp for reverb, delay, etc. 

I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to use the stomp in 4cm with my amp but also feed the RLIR line out back into the stomp (in the other input?), mainly for recording but also for headphone/monitor playing.  Right now all I’ve been able to do is either run the stomp after the amp or in 4cm like you’d use the HXFX.

Is that possible?  How would I even set that up?

• 2 weeks later...

Can the HX stomp be powered by this? https://www.long-mcquade.com/172388/Guitars/Cables---Power-Supplies/Voodoo-Lab/Pedal-Power-X8-Compact-Isolated-Pedal-Board-Power-Supply.htm I have a bunch of pedals and the HX stomp and I want to build my board around the hx stomp, I'm just wondering if this can power it without any harm. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'm a complete and utter novice. And that's an understatement. I've just bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard and Marshall JVM215c. For the sake of my neighbours I'd like to practise whilst wearing headphones and was advised the Stomp would enable me to do this. I have a few questions. Can I use to Stomp to play my guitar using headphones and muting output from the amp? Is there a risk of burning out my amp by doing this? Can I still get all the tones from my guitar and amp through headphones? How do I wire up and setup my Stomp to achieve this? Like I said, I'm a complete imbecile! So any advice and patience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out, Using a dsp guide, that when 3.0 comes out that I will have more than enough dsp for what I need to do

1. Scream 809

2. Minotaur

3. Scipt mod Phase

4. Tremolo

5.  Brit 2204

6. 4x12 blackback/IR

7. Simple Delay

8. Plate verb

Now after that comes out I just need the morningstar mc8 to engage effects and toggle through presets

• 3 weeks later...

I came across an interesting "bug" tonight while editing some presets on HX Stomp based on testing it across 3x different presets.

After watching Alex Strabala's video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfzpHbvT71I), I got excited about the idea of removing the [Volume] I had assigned to the 6th block to free up space in the signal chain.  I then added a few different blocks & built 3x different snapshots to taste.

Snapshot-1 has 3 of 6 blocks turned on. 

Snapshot-2 has 4 of 6 blocks turned on.  

Snapshot-3 has 6 of 6 blocks turned on.

In all snapshots, [Compressor] is on.

I also have a Morningstar MC8 (which is awesome!) connected via MIDI to give me direct access to the 3x snapshots, FS Mode Scrolling & finally FS4, where I used Alex's insight to build a lead boost by assigning Level & Mix parameters of [Compressor] as well as a simple +3db to the [Output] level.  Works like a champ! ... kind of.

In snapshots 1 & 2, the two snapshots that only have a portion of the blocks turned on, boost only works after a few presses of FS4.  In snapshot 3, the one with all blocks on, FS4 responds as it should & works every time as intended.

I've reviewed the Morningstar setup multiple times & the only thing I can come up with after testing it on 3x different patches now, is that all blocks MUST be on in order for FS4 to trigger the lead boost.

Can one of you experts share some insight?  Maybe I'm overlooking something...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, MattH77 said:

Hi. I'm a complete and utter novice. And that's an understatement. I've just bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard and Marshall JVM215c. For the sake of my neighbours I'd like to practise whilst wearing headphones and was advised the Stomp would enable me to do this. I have a few questions. Can I use to Stomp to play my guitar using headphones and muting output from the amp? Is there a risk of burning out my amp by doing this? Can I still get all the tones from my guitar and amp through headphones? How do I wire up and setup my Stomp to achieve this? Like I said, I'm a complete imbecile! So any advice and patience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

On 6/3/2020 at 4:31 AM, underwoodblog said:

You can use the HX Stomp alone with headphones and don't need your amp.

As underwoodblog said just plug the headphones into the Stomp.  That is the easiest way to get started. Here are some suggestions from the Gear Page for headphones that work well for the HX Stomp.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/headphones-for-hx-stomp-recommendations.2019995/

Btw, if you are only using the HX Stomp for effects into your Marshall JVM215c when you use the HX Stomp alone with headphones you are going to want to dial up some presets with amp and cab or IR blocks or things won't sound right in your headphones.

The simplest way to proceed is what underwoodblog recommended. Later if you get more ambitious and want to try some alternatives another option is to use the HX Stomp connected to the JVM215c, as you are already, and use the  "Emulated Line Out" XLR out on your Marshall and connect it to a soundcard, headphone amplifier, or small mixer and then to headphones. The advantage of that might be that you would not have to alter the presets on your Stomp. You would have to leave your amp on though.

A final option if you want to be able to preview effects-only presets at headphone levels would be using the HX Stomp through an amp/cab plugin(e.g. Native) on your computer's DAW and plug the headphones into your computer's soundcard output. Don't really see any necessity for reamping in this scenario although that is an option too. You can select an amp/cab plugin that sounds close to your Marshall so that hopefully the presets will be usable on the amp, perhaps with minor modification. That requires a more complicated setup and this might not be something you want to attempt straight out of the starting gate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, 

Sorry for my English.

I have a snapshot pb on my HX Stomp : can't find how to modify only one parameter in one block for a snapshot, without saving this parameter in other snapshots. 

For exemple : for snapshot 2 I wasn't the chorus level at + 6db, but in snapshots 1 and 3 I wasn't this level at +1db.

But when I switch from snapshot 2 to 1 or 2 to 3, the level remains at +6db.

So snapshots only memorize the on/off state of each block.

Can you help me? 

Sam

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  On 7/10/2019 at 12:03 PM, dejoandersson said:

Hi all

I use my HX Stomp in Snapchat mode but I have this extremely annoying thing happening almost all the time. When I touch (NOT PRESS) two footswitches at the same time the "Copy Snap 3 to 2" appears. Is there any way to disable the "touch" function so that only the "press footswitch" function is active?

Yes. You need to change the "Stomp Select" setting from "Touch" to "Press." It's found through the following:

Global Settings > Footswitches > Stomp Select > Press.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi.... Did this work for anyone experiencing this?  Mine is set to "press", but i can still soft touch 2 buttons and get the prompt again...

18 hours ago, huker818 said:

Did this work for anyone experiencing this? 

No.

According to my conversation with Line 6 support concerning a somewhat related hardware issue (fixed in the meantime), this is even supposed to be the expected behavior, as the setting is apparently only meant to affect the Edit view.

I, for one, still consider it a bug though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!!

I´m new with HX Stomp and I have a question.

I have a strymon timeline, hx stomp, compresor and overdrive pedal.

I wanna use my compressor and overdrive pedal before Hx stomp.

Timeline as my main delay machine.

I wanna ask you If I can put the timeline in stereo in the FX Loop of the hx stomp and use the hx stomp for two purposes.

1- Play at home and recording plug in in to my audio interface in stereo mode (I read I can use a TRS to XLR with the Left output for this) (Maybe I will use this function sometime on stage too.)

2-With the HX stomp just for effects connected to my Deluxe Reverb 65. 

Can I use the left ouput with TRS to XLR at home (for stereo recording) and with mono jack to amp (for effects without amp simulation)?

I wanna plug with TRS output of the hx stomp to my RocKboard Mod 1 v2 and then connect to the options I need with the rockboard mod 1 v2.

Thanks you all I wanna wire my pedalboard and I´m not sure about this.