Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FAQ

Digital_Igloo

• 1 month later...

Brand New to the stomp.  This could very well be due to my lack of know-how, but I was immediately surprised and frankly bummed by the loss of dynamic subtlety when going through the stomp.  It sounds almost eq'd and compressed in comparison to the analog signal.

I am still hoping to utilize a variety of effects, but switching to the analog bypass on the fly is going to be a must, and pressing the 2 buttons to do so is a real pain. 

I apologize for the noobiness of this, but is it possible to map the analog bypass to a footswitch?

56 minutes ago, Verismo said:

It sounds almost eq'd and compressed in comparison to the analog signal.

Hi,

I use a Helix floor unit, but f I recall correctly, I read somewhere that you should try running it with the volume knob turned up to max for unity gain and that solves the “under a blanket” tone. Here is a quote that I found:

I disabled the volume for everything except the headphones out. This way I'm always at unity and don't have to worry about where the volume knob is.”

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Quote added

Thank you, Datacommando. I had read and tried that already. It did help, some. But there is still quite a noticeable difference in the overall character of the sound, and to my ears, it's just less musical.  So I'm still trying to figure out if I can map the analog bypass to a footswitch.

8 hours ago, Verismo said:

Thank you, Datacommando. I had read and tried that already. It did help, some. But there is still quite a noticeable difference in the overall character of the sound, and to my ears, it's just less musical.  So I'm still trying to figure out if I can map the analog bypass to a footswitch.

Oh, well, it was worth a try.

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t have a Stomp, but my understanding is that, via the Command Centre, absolutely anything can be mapped to any footswitch on the unit. It probably gives some information it in the Owner’s Manual, may be worth checking in there.

EDIT: found this quote over on TGP, from Frank Ritchotte (Operations Director at YGG)

Does HX Stomp have true analog bypass?
Yes. You may choose either analog bypass or DSP bypass with trails. To bypass everything press the upper and lower knobs together (or assign a footswitch to All Bypass).

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/hx-stomp-tone-suck-and-other-fun-stuff.1995168/

8 hours ago, Verismo said:

check under global settings -> footswitches

you can set fs3 to all bypass if you're not using an external footswitch.

fs4 defaults to it it you are...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Verismo said:

So I'm still trying to figure out if I can map the analog bypass to a footswitch.

As noted by “scrapperstoo” in the post above, Global Settings > Preferences > Bypass type (manual page 41):

When pressing the Upper and Lower knobs together (or a footswitch assigned to "All Bypass"), HX Stomp bypasses all blocks. There are two types of All Bypass in HX Stomp—Choose "Analog" if you want to your guitar's signal routed directly from the HX Stomp inputs to its outputs, with no processing or A/D/A conversion (also called "true bypass"). Choose "DSP" if you want delay echoes and reverb tails to decay naturally when HX Stomp is bypassed.

16 hours ago, aurelio59 said:

Hi, I use hx stomp as a sound card, but the signal on channels 1-2 comes very low to my daw Garageband.

Which parameters should I change to increase the input volume in the DAW. Thank you

Hi,

To save me having to spend time typing out stuff, you may want to check this for clues.

• 1 month later...

Hi-

HX Stomp headphones question. When I listen through headphones there isn't enough volume (AKG K85 phones). Is there a way I can increase the headphone volume without changing anything else? I was hoping to be able to listen for practice purposes (I only bought the box today) but it isn't practical for this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks-

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

When I connect it, my HX ASIO settings let me set it up to 32 bit (unclear if integer or float).

Also, this is written everywhere and as far as I know the interface is 96kHz (this thread says 192kHz).

Can someone please clear these two items for me?

10 hours ago, mavck said:

When I connect it, my HX ASIO settings let me set it up to 32 bit (unclear if integer or float).

Also, this is written everywhere and as far as I know the interface is 96kHz (this thread says 192kHz).

Can someone please clear these two items for me?

Well, the converters aren’t operating at 32-bit, so I’m not sure what’s happening there.

On 6/8/2021 at 3:20 AM, phil_m said:

Well, the converters aren’t operating at 32-bit, so I’m not sure what’s happening there.

Thank you. I wish there was somewhere we could find answers.

I do use 24 bit mostly, so I am not super affected, but it would be nice if I am able to take 32 bit samples for certain things from time to time.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! planning on a small pedalboard designed around the HX Stomp and a couple of analog pedals to go into the front end of cleanish amp. Was planning a couple of amp-in-a-box pedals such as JHS Angry Charlie or Superbolt and a Catalinbread Formula 55 in the loop of the HX stomp. The idea was to set Angry Charlie and Formula 55 to sound like Marshall and Fender amps and then run HX Stomp delay/reverb effects post the loop block and HX Stomp drives/fuzz etc before.

Its just for a muck around group I'm in doing covers. Do the HX Stomp drives/boosts/fuzz's sound ok into an analog pedal?

Appreciate anyones opinion and experience regarding this. Cheers, Dan

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone! i just wanted to ask if it is safe to use TS cable on my Hx stomp’s fs4/5 exp1/2 input jack for an external tap tempo ( normally open), I tried it and changed some settings from global settings preferences and footswitch function and I’ve emulated the function of FS3 - tap/tuner function. I’m worried that using the TS cable will make the ring and sleeve of input jack of the hx stomp shorted. i tried using trs cable but it doesn’t work. TIA for the reply!

19 hours ago, renzcastle said:

Hi everyone! i just wanted to ask if it is safe to use TS cable on my Hx stomp’s fs4/5 exp1/2 input jack for an external tap tempo ( normally open), I tried it and changed some settings from global settings preferences and footswitch function and I’ve emulated the function of FS3 - tap/tuner function. I’m worried that using the TS cable will make the ring and sleeve of input jack of the hx stomp shorted. i tried using trs cable but it doesn’t work. TIA for the reply!

Yes, it’s fine to use a TS cable.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an audio driver compatible with windows 11?  I can use HX edit on both a windows 10 and 11 machine, but the audio driver on the windows 11 computer is warning out and won't load for using the stomp as a DI.  Will Line 6 be updating the drivers for windows 11 (official compatibility stops at windows 10 on their download site)?  Or is there a workaround?  Thanks! 

• 2 months later...

HX Stomp XL Power Supply by Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus

You have some great information here on how to connect the HX Stomp to Voodoo Pedal Power 4x4, but I haven't found any explanation or videos showing how to supply power to HX Stomp (XL or regular) from VooDoo Pedal Power 2 Plus. Is that possible? If so, what slots do we plug them into and what are the cables needed? Thanks!

On 5/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, Fiddler1985 said:

HX Stomp XL Power Supply by Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus

You have some great information here on how to connect the HX Stomp to Voodoo Pedal Power 4x4, but I haven't found any explanation or videos showing how to supply power to HX Stomp (XL or regular) from VooDoo Pedal Power 2 Plus. Is that possible? If so, what slots do we plug them into and what are the cables needed? Thanks!

Did you read this?

Hope tis helps/makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

I expect the HX Stomp will remain at 3 snapshots, primarily because of the 3-switch hardware configuration. The Stomp XL has 4 assignable footswitches. The whole point of snapshots is easy access via footswitch so I doubt there would be more snapshots than switches.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:17 AM, silverhead said:

I expect the HX Stomp will remain at 3 snapshots, primarily because of the 3-switch hardware configuration. The Stomp XL has 4 assignable footswitches. The whole point of snapshots is easy access via footswitch so I doubt there would be more snapshots than switches.

Well, the HX Stomp supports 5 switches since day one, not just 3.

So, according to your theory, we could get up to 5 snapshots without any problem, but I'm only asking for 4, hehehe

On 5/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, davi_ssilva said:

Well, the HX Stomp supports 5 switches since day one, not just 3.

So, according to your theory, we could get up to 5 snapshots without any problem, but I'm only asking for 4, hehehe

Right - I am ignoring the rear-panel EXP 1/2 or FS 4/5 jacks for external pedals/switches. While using these for switches to control snapshot assignment and selection is possible it comes at the cost of using expression pedals, which is a cost I personally don’t think is practical. But that’s just me. It is possible.

If you want to make your case to have this done you should post the suggestion on Ideascale where Line 6 developers will see it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 10:20 AM, silverhead said:

Right - I am ignoring the rear-panel EXP 1/2 or FS 4/5 jacks for external pedals/switches. While using these for switches to control snapshot assignment and selection is possible it comes at the cost of using expression pedals, which is a cost I personally don’t think is practical. But that’s just me. It is possible.

If you want to make your case to have this done you should post the suggestion on Ideascale where Line 6 developers will see it.

Ideascale already has many suggestions like these for the regular Stomp, but it seems that Line6 is actively limiting this unit for marketing and business reasons. 

The Stomp XL has the exactly same processor and DSP limitations of the regular Stomp, but the former already offers 4 snapshots per preset. So to me it's pretty clear that this isn't a hardware or software limitation.

• 5 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 2:25 PM, muppeman said:

Thank you for a thorough answer! At least I know where to start now as soon as I get my hands on the HX Stomp! The great thing with the EFX - LE is that I can change the order of the loops since I have a few other pedals that I want to switch around depending on the song I play! 

Muppeman, I know this is an old thread but I have your exact setup with a Musicom Lab EFX LE and an HX Stomp. Trying to figure out how to run these using 4CM but not having any luck, so far. Right now I am trying to run the first few loops from the EFX into the Stomp and then run the modulated loops from the ISO OUT into the Stomp's FX send/return. I haven't been able to figure out how to get a loop or loops to only play through the ISO OUT. If you were able to figure this setup out and remember, please share how you did this. In the meantime, I will try what Kilrahi shared.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi, Slightly off topic as this is a question regarding Stomp XL

I have just ordered the XL and hoping to attach it to a pedalboard by screwing into the base. Is this possible? Seems the feet are stick on rather than screwed. Is there an alternate place with an existing screw that could be removed and then re-attached?

Thanks.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:48 AM, gregfromoz said:

Hi, Slightly off topic as this is a question regarding Stomp XL

I have just ordered the XL and hoping to attach it to a pedalboard by screwing into the base. Is this possible? Seems the feet are stick on rather than screwed. Is there an alternate place with an existing screw that could be removed and then re-attached?

Thanks.

Hmm... If you found the screws of the correct length and thread pitch and gauge, I guess you could attach the pedal with screws. But I wouldn't recommend that. The bottom of the Stomp XL is flat, so it's very easy to attach it to a board with the typical methods - velcro or Dual Lock.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! Friends, tell me how best to connect external overdrive pedals with a preamp to the LINE6 HX. I understand that it is best to loop. And if I have a tube preamp, how can I model the chain correctly? After the preamp, put AMP and then IR? Maybe there is just a final amplifier in the processor? Thanks for answers.

• 4 months later...
On 25.03.2023 at 09:26, VladimirZuz said:

Всем привет! Друзья, подскажите, как лучше подключить внешние педали овердрайва с предусилителем к LINE6 HX. Я понимаю, что лучше зациклиться. А если у меня ламповый предусилитель, как правильно смоделировать цепь? После предусилителя поставить AMP а потом IR? Может просто в процессоре стоит оконечный усилитель? Спасибо за ответы.

???

• 1 month later...

I'm using FS3 for switching a block. Are there any other options for accessing the tuner that don't involve bending down to press buttons or using an additional unit (additional FSs or MIDI)? I use a very small/tight fly board and neither of those are practical options for me. Any way to assign a long press or two FSs at once or something?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 3:14 PM, davidplaysbass said:

I'm using FS3 for switching a block. Are there any other options for accessing the tuner that don't involve bending down to press buttons or using an additional unit (additional FSs or MIDI)? I use a very small/tight fly board and neither of those are practical options for me. Any way to assign a long press or two FSs at once or something?

There are really tiny external footswitches that would accomplish this for you.