Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV 150 to marshall cab?

bftundra23

Sorry for the noobish question, but I recently bought a spider IV 150 head and a marshall cab. My question is, on the head there is a left and right 8ohm out but the cab only has a single 8ohm input. I've seen in other posts, people warning not to use only a single output but no one saying what to do if you only have one input on your cab. The cabinet is a marshall avt412 xa if that helps any. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Yes, you do not want to run just one output from your Spider amp, as that will imbalance the amp and eventually cause a problem.  The amp wants to see an 8 ohm (or higher impedance) on each output.  Your speaker cabinet is 8 ohms.  You'd have to open it up, rewire it with two input jacks, and probably use a couple of power resistors to get the impedance correct.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:23 AM, bftundra23 said:

Sorry for the noobish question, but I recently bought a spider IV 150 head and a marshall cab. My question is, on the head there is a left and right 8ohm out but the cab only has a single 8ohm input. I've seen in other posts, people warning not to use only a single output but no one saying what to do if you only have one input on your cab. The cabinet is a marshall avt412 xa if that helps any. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Had the same problem a number of years ago. It's really my own fault for not adequately researching the Spider before I bought it....but I find it a puzzling design. The overwhelming majority of half-stack rigs are mono. No idea why they chose to force everybody into a stereo cabinet, or a pair of mono cabs.... other than to steer you into also buying the stereo cabinet they designed to go with it. Didn't keep mine very long...

23 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Had the same problem a number of years ago. It's really my own fault for not adequately researching the Spider before I bought it....but I find it a puzzling design. The overwhelming majority of half-stack rigs are mono. No idea why they chose to force everybody into a stereo cabinet, or a pair of mono cabs.... other than to steer you into also buying the stereo cabinet they designed to go with it. Didn't keep mine very long...

Well, that is exactly the point - to get you to buy the Line 6 cabinet!   Also of note - the speakers in L6 amps/cabinets are picked to produce the sound of the amplifier/preamp without imparting any real 'color' to the sound (if you doubt this, use the MP3 input to play some music through any L6 amp - they try the same through a non-modeling amp and speaker system).

4 hours ago, fflbrgst said:

Also of note - the speakers in L6 amps/cabinets are picked to produce the sound of the amplifier/preamp without imparting any real 'color' to the sound (if you doubt this, use the MP3 input to play some music through any L6 amp - they try the same through a non-modeling amp and speaker system).

That may be... but you couldn't pay me to listen to music through anybody's 4x12 guitar cabinet, no matter how "uncolored" it allegedly is. Also, I've always found stereo-wired cabinets baffling in general, no matter what your pumping through it... calling anything that's stuffed inside one enclosure "stereo" makes no sense to me. There's no L/R isolation. If you want true stereo, you need physical separation of the L and R channels.

But it's all a moot point anyway, and like I said, it was my own fault for not doing enough research... can't blame the device, no matter how bizarre it is.

I do agree with you - I'm one who doesn't like using any true stereo sound in a live situation - even if its two cabinets (or separate amps) on either side of the stage, as inevitably, someone in the audience is going to be in a position where they only hear one of the sides well.

• 2 weeks later...