Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording to Mac book from Helix. Tinny sound

uktivo

Hi all.

Still getting to grips with this tech. 

When I record via usb from Helix you MacBook. I'm issuing garage band at the moment to mess around and tinker.  The helix is also output to the power cab plus.. my patch sounds pretty good in the speaker.  But if I record then play back from the MacBook to the same speaker, the guitar sounds extremely tinny and lacking bass.  

What am I missing please?

We'll need to know exactly what blocks you're using in the signal chain and how you've configured the Powercab to answer that... but my guess is that if you have no cab block in the chain and are relying on the Powercab's onboard cab modeling, then that's your problem. You need either a cab model or an IR in the signal chain that you're feeding to the DAW. Otherwise you're recording a tone with only an amp model, and no speaker and mic emulation. That will sound irretrievably awful 100% of the time. 

Also, using the Powercab to monitor multitrack playback is not ideal... it's not designed for that, and you'd need two of them anyway. Look into a pair of studio monitors and/or decent flat- response headphones. 

11 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

We'll need to know exactly what blocks you're using in the signal chain and how you've configured the Powercab to answer that... but my guess is that if you have no cab block in the chain and are relying on the Powercab's onboard cab modeling, then that's your problem. You need either a cab model or an IR in the signal chain that you're feeding to the DAW. Otherwise you're recording a tone with only an amp model, and no speaker and mic emulation. That will sound irretrievably awful 100% of the time. 

Also, using the Powercab to monitor multitrack playback is not ideal... it's not really designed for that. You need a pair of studio monitors and/or decent flat- response headphones. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I'm away from my room at the moment and honestly can't recall if the patch used a cab out not.  The patch I'm using is one from a guy called  Jason sadites and it's called toysintheattic (aerosmith) cab be found here

https://line6.com/customtone/profile/jaysadites/

The power cab is set to flat.  

4 minutes ago, uktivo said:

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I'm away from my room at the moment and honestly can't recall if the patch used a cab out not.  The patch I'm using is one from a guy called  Jason sadites and it's called toysintheattic (aerosmith) cab be found here

https://line6.com/customtone/profile/jaysadites/

The power cab is set to flat.  

In all likelihood that patch does have a cab block, but I'm not in front of my Helix at the moment either... Plug some headphones directly into Helix and see what the patch sounds like, compared to the playback from the DAW. If they sound radically different, then something's going on within Garageband.... channel EQ, etc.  It's gonna be a trial and error thing to narrow it down.

• Thanks 1