Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

practice speaker for Helix: Alto TX210 vs Alto TS310 vs JBL Eon610?

Darrell999

I'm going to buy a Helix soon, and I play at church.  For home practice and patch creating, I'm considering the Alto TX210 ($170) , Alto TS310 ($250) , or JBL Eon610 ($300).

The TX210 is the least expensive, which is nice.  But I haven't seen much of anything about the TX series used with a Helix.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Between the Alto TS310 and the JBL Eon610, which would be better for FRFR for Helix?  The Alto has a higher peak wattage (2,000) over the JBL (1,000), but this is for practice at home, so I wouldn't be playing it that loud anyway.

You could probably get by with any of them, but the key thing for your application is which one of these is most likely to simulate the sound and behavior of the PA you'll be going through at church?  The idea here is that you want to be confident that the tone you get at home will be the tone you get when you play at church.  In this regard I would probably opt for the JBL.  The reason being is the price difference which is more related to the sophistication in how the DSP is used in the JBL to tailor the JBL to different applications such as used as a floor monitor, a mian speaker, with or without a sub.  That means they've given at least some consideration to it being used in live music performance situations.  I'd rather pay for that than just more wattage which tends to be a feature more oriented toward DJ's and electronic music/dance applications.

I’ve used two JBL EON610s for my gigging FRFR with Helix for the last three years. Never a problem and never an issue. You may want to use the Monitor setting if they’re placed on the floor. Otherwise there’s too much bass. Gets worse if you’re stuck into a corner which I often am in small clubs.

I bought a TS310 when MF had the 15% off Labor Day sale, so the price was $212 delivered to my door.  Its an amazing speaker for the price.  I was going to buy a TS312 because I wanted to be sure that the speaker had enough bottom end.  A friend of mine convinced me the the 10" version would have plenty of bass and he was right.  I bought a second TS310 so that I can run them in stereo, which sounds really awesome.

I've never tried a TX, but I've read a number of comments on the forums saying that the TS series sounds noticeably better than the TX.