Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2x12 Stereo Powercab

danhazer1

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat. The PC is loud enough for most situations, but I play in two metal bands with hard-hitting drummers and there's no way it keeps up in places without solid PA support, which is what I need for on-stage amplification. I don't even necessarily require stereo, as stereo in a single 2x12 cab is a pretty minimal effect, but definitely something louder that can carry a room over a loud drummer like a standard amp and 2x12 are capable of would be nice. Right now I'm considering the Spider V240 with a "Bypass" preset. The advantage there is that for a few hundred bucks extra I can get a foot controller for it and have a backup rig should my Helix lollipop the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking for a stereo powercab. In fact, I was surprised that the powercab seems to have the same speaker configuration as the Firehawk 5 speaker configuration (I think). So I was floored when I plugged a stereopedal into it only to find it wasn't stereo! What? Aren't most Line 6 Guitar products stereo? No, I know they aren't all stereo, but really? The Helix, PODHD, Firehawk pedals are all stereo (and mono of course) so why wasn't the PowerCab Stereo? That would have been a spectacular foresight! And make the cabinet Mono capable too for that sonic punch for those that don't want stereo! So take the Firehawk, throw the Power Cab into it with Stereo configuration (in/out) and make an extension cab using the Vetta plan?!? I don't know - haven't thought that far, but man, that would be sweet for the flagship pedals, wouldn't it?  

just my opinion. 

I don't think the need is the power in those cases.

I have one PC+ and pretty pleased with it but, even if i can obtain sounds i like, i've got a 2x12" too and something's missing with the PC.

I believe that i don't have this breath. The PC is very directionnal, i have to always tilt it back to go directly to my face (and my ears) to appreciate every subtil nuances in the sound.

A good 2x10" opened back PC+ would be a good compromise (for the sound and the weight) but i don't know the design consequences on the FRFR modes.....

5 hours ago, SteveFrance said:

I don't think the need is the power in those cases.

I have one PC+ and pretty pleased with it but, even if i can obtain sounds i like, i've got a 2x12" too and something's missing with the PC.

I believe that i don't have this breath. The PC is very directionnal, i have to always tilt it back to go directly to my face (and my ears) to appreciate every subtil nuances in the sound.

A good 2x10" opened back PC+ would be a good compromise (for the sound and the weight) but i don't know the design consequences on the FRFR modes.....

open back pretty much means no FRFR because you can't control the speaker functions. Guitar cabs are also highly-directional. That's why a lot of guitarists think they have a sick tone and its actually shrill and harsh for people standing the front row. You don't know what your guitar sounds like out of a standard guitar cab unless you stick you ear in the speaker's beam.

8 hours ago, jldouglas said:

I am also looking for a stereo powercab. In fact, I was surprised that the powercab seems to have the same speaker configuration as the Firehawk 5 speaker configuration (I think). So I was floored when I plugged a stereopedal into it only to find it wasn't stereo! What? Aren't most Line 6 Guitar products stereo? No, I know they aren't all stereo, but really? The Helix, PODHD, Firehawk pedals are all stereo (and mono of course) so why wasn't the PowerCab Stereo? That would have been a spectacular foresight! And make the cabinet Mono capable too for that sonic punch for those that don't want stereo! So take the Firehawk, throw the Power Cab into it with Stereo configuration (in/out) and make an extension cab using the Vetta plan?!? I don't know - haven't thought that far, but man, that would be sweet for the flagship pedals, wouldn't it?  

just my opinion. 

The Powercab doesn't have the same sort of speaker configuration as the Firehawk 1500 at all. The PC is using a custom coaxial speaker, meaning it has a 12" woofer with a 1" tweeter coaxially aligned with the woofer. It's a totally different type of system than the Firehawk.

18 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

open back pretty much means no FRFR because you can't control the speaker functions. 

I've already read that the PC needed a closed back speaker design to obtain a FRFR but i don't catch why.

FRFR means you have a sound reproduction the closer as possible of the source (flat response) and you can have a huge range of frequencies brings with the add of the tweeter (Full range). I don't see the direct link with a spatial sound and FRFR possibilities.

But there must be a reason, i've never seen an opened back FRFR speaker.....

4 hours ago, SteveFrance said:

I've already read that the PC needed a closed back speaker design to obtain a FRFR but i don't catch why.

FRFR means you have a sound reproduction the closer as possible of the source (flat response) and you can have a huge range of frequencies brings with the add of the tweeter (Full range). I don't see the direct link with a spatial sound and FRFR possibilities.

But there must be a reason, i've never seen an opened back FRFR speaker.....

I’m no scientist, but the way I understand it is you can’t control the frequency response of the woofer easily in an open cabinet because the throw of the speaker is less controlled by air pressure inside the cabinet, so you can get it extending beyond its prime operating functions on transients/low frequencies.

19 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

I’m no scientist, but the way I understand it is you can’t control the frequency response of the woofer easily in an open cabinet because the throw of the speaker is less controlled by air pressure inside the cabinet, so you can get it extending beyond its prime operating functions on transients/low frequencies.

I'm not an expert too ;) 

I've read quickly that the opened-back design seems to loose bass. There is a part of frequencies that goes rear and come back in front and cancel/attenuate the fisrt ones.

That kind of amps seems to be clearer (fender, vox). I've seen that there's a lot of acoustic amps that are closed back....

I assume that L6 have choosen this design to have a more bassy speaker for bass too and a better front sound projection for every configurations.....

I was just thinking about electric guitar and like my fender amp.....

I mean, the intent of the powercab isn't to be a traditional amplifier, its to amplify modeling in a way that still "feels" like amplifier. So it's all about getting the cab feeling, but still being as full-range as possible. I think to get that open-back sound and control it as much as you need to to make the DSP useful you'd probably have to do a closed back and throw a/a couple smaller driver(s) in the back. I don't there's really a way to change that sound field through a single output source. It's cool that they're trying to figure out how to to get all this "as it sounds in recording studio" tone to translate to a more traditional playing experience.

• 2 weeks later...

If you had a company that made powercab's and had the ability to move 2 PC+'s (stereo) at $799.00 a pop, or one 2x12 PC+ for about $999 out of the warehouse, which one would you make? I'm thinking Line-6 made the right choice here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I was right! Powercab 2x12 is too heavy at 47lb. My limit is about 35lb. Too bad. It would have been nice to play in stereo all the time.

Take note all you young players. This is what is coming down the pipe. You're not going to want to lift heavy speakers when you get to a certain age.

I really wanted a 2x12 Powercab+. I love the sound of stereo guitar. But for me I don't see how this works. I gig with a 1x12 Powercab+ as my stage amp, its driven by the L6 link in mono. But I also send stereo from my Helix to FOH and have my own stereo IEM mix of the whole band that comes from the PA. I don't do anything without either earplugs or those IEMs in place. My aging ears really don't like loud sounds. It's probably because of ear damage from the past. But I can't get through 30sec of a song without ear protection.

So if I had a 2x12 Powercab, it wouldn't make any difference to me, or the audience. They're getting stereo from the FOH mix already. The Powercab 1x12 is perfect for stage fill and giving me and my guitar something to feel. A 2x12 wouldn't change that and would just be heavier and take up more stage space.

That said, if I didn't already have a 1x12 power cab, I would get the 2x12 - just because - more is better, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, amsdenj said:

I really wanted a 2x12 Powercab+. I love the sound of stereo guitar. But for me I don't see how this works. I gig with a 1x12 Powercab+ as my stage amp, its driven by the L6 link in mono. But I also send stereo from my Helix to FOH and have my own stereo IEM mix of the whole band that comes from the PA. I don't do anything without either earplugs or those IEMs in place. My aging ears really don't like loud sounds. It's probably because of ear damage from the past. But I can't get through 30sec of a song without ear protection.

So if I had a 2x12 Powercab, it wouldn't make any difference to me, or the audience. They're getting stereo from the FOH mix already. The Powercab 1x12 is perfect for stage fill and giving me and my guitar something to feel. A 2x12 wouldn't change that and would just be heavier and take up more stage space.

That said, if I didn't already have a 1x12 power cab, I would get the 2x12 - just because - more is better, right?

Well, all those reasonable arguments aside, I did get a Powercab 212 today. I really wanted the stereo, and think the extra weight will be ok. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Interesting discussion here. I'm on the fence as well with the 212 vs. 112 choice. My current set up is 

Tube amp --> 1X12 V30 cab (Mic on stage through one channel of the board)

Helix amp model --> FOH (occupies a second channel on the board) 

I really don't monitor my Helix amp model and the primarily am able to listen to my cabinet as well as the full band mix through the monitor. 

I have been wondering about switching from a 1X12 to a stereo cabinet which will allow me to use both the helix and the tube amp together and hence I'm better able to monitor the mix. 

So given this I'm wondering what would be the best set up. Any advice would be helpful. The options I'm considering are

a) Cabinet and a 1X12 PC /PC plus . Cabinet runs the Tube and the PC is used for the helix

b) Ditch the cabinet and get a 212 PC +. Run the tube into my load box and the dry line out into input 1 of the PC 212. Run the Helix into input 2 of the of the PC+

c) I'm also considering whether it might be worth it to get a second cabinet/head or a combo. The idea would be that I could either use it to run the Helix into the effects return and monitor it through that or I could use it as a stand alone amp depending on what I might need. 

Given this, I guess there are various aspects to consider. IF the price of the 212 was lower, I think I would have gone for it without thinking too much. But given the really high price point, I wonder if the 212 does give any added advantage (other than just having to carry one cabinet in a live gigging situation).

Thanks folks!!!