Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 120 as an FRFR@

driver08

You could send the HX Stomp to the 120 using the Aux in jack in the back, but since it's a 1/8" jack, it's not really gig worthy. For home use it will probably work ok. The other thing is, the frequency response of the woofer and tweeter in the 120 is not the flattest, so whether it sounds good to you might be an issue.

Which brings up my biggest complaint about the Spider V.    It should have an effects loop!    GTRman100 brings up a good point, but also, if you are using the wireless feature, it would be nice to have an effects loop to use some pedals.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 10:23 PM, driver08 said:

Question for everyone here.  Can the spider V 120 amp be used as an FRFR cabinet for the HX stomp?

Is what i'm doing.

Make and empty path on the spider V and you can use with the main input.

You can also add anything you want in the path to offload the Somp, maybe you are ok with Spider V own IR, or maybe with the Reverb. Or some more practical and always handy EQ.

I was doing this even prior to Stomp, with pre-pedals, to use usb recording from the Spider V.

There are only 2 thing to remember.....

1)  Relay can be used home/very low volume only and with a noisegate ; it works perfect but get noisy as hell compared to cable, probably bc is not designed to carry such a loud signal ;

2) in the Path, even when you choose No Amp, there's a kind of amp you're using , who just got a volume control set at 70 by default; you've to lower him (see pic) to around 40-50 depending on how loud you're playing /how loud is the signal you're sending into the Spider V front input.  For me, at home, 50 is the set that makes no tonal nor noise  nor output level difference between going into front input or going into aux-in .

spiderV Flat.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, Bluesman27 said:

Which brings up my biggest complaint about the Spider V.    It should have an effects loop!    GTRman100 brings up a good point, but also, if you are using the wireless feature, it would be nice to have an effects loop to use some pedals.   

I've seen this complaint a few times and I get that everyone has their own way of doing things and their own requirements for what the do but why would I need pedals for an amp that is completely full of effects?  I personally would like to have the loop so I could run my DigiTech Trio+ through it.  That way I could use the G10 wireless right into the amp.  The way it is now, I'd have to get the G10 complete system and have the base unit on the floor in front of the Trio.  So I'd love to have a loop but it makes total sense Line 6 wouldn't include one.  They have an amp full of effects and multiple floorboards that can be used to call them up.

37 minutes ago, darylb said:

I've seen this complaint a few times and I get that everyone has their own way of doing things and their own requirements for what the do but why would I need pedals for an amp that is completely full of effects?  I personally would like to have the loop so I could run my DigiTech Trio+ through it.  That way I could use the G10 wireless right into the amp.  The way it is now, I'd have to get the G10 complete system and have the base unit on the floor in front of the Trio.  So I'd love to have a loop but it makes total sense Line 6 wouldn't include one.  They have an amp full of effects and multiple floorboards that can be used to call them up.

Well, when you think about it, it just dont make sense from a "comfort point of view". I mean, what's the benefit on going wirelss, if you still have to connect and have cables bewteeen your foot ? Does it rly make a difference where those cable are going, front instead of send/return ? You're not 100% wirelss anymore, dont'ya ?

14 hours ago, PolMol said:

Well, when you think about it, it just dont make sense from a "comfort point of view". I mean, what's the benefit on going wirelss, if you still have to connect and have cables bewteeen your foot ? Does it rly make a difference where those cable are going, front instead of send/return ? You're not 100% wirelss anymore, dont'ya ?

The only way wireless makes sense to me is I hang my guitars on the wall so I guess it would be easier.  Just walk in and grab a guitar and play with no wire hassle.  The wires on the floor would always just be there.  Certainly not a need.  I don't "need" any of this stuff.  Just fun.  

5 hours ago, darylb said:

The only way wireless makes sense to me is I hang my guitars on the wall so I guess it would be easier.  Just walk in and grab a guitar and play with no wire hassle.    Just fun.  

That's why i love my spider ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PolMol said:

That's why i love my spider ;)

I purchased a 20 watt Red Edition Spider V for my son, and it arrived yesterday and I dinked around with it for a while. The thing was friggin' $130 bucks and yet I would have killed for the possibilities it has when I was his age. When you attach the app to it it's practically a modeling board, or a baby Firehawk 1500.

I immediately did what you did above. Turned everything as flat as possible and hooked my HX Stomp up to it. 

I thought it sounded bloody brilliant, and for the price . . . geez it makes me want to buy one for myself (I have a Firehawk 1500, and it's awesome, but it's also a beast to move around so if I can keep it for special occasions and just jam out on an amp like this so much the better).

At the very least I'm going to borrow his whenever he's not using it. I'm still in shock the Spider series seems to always get ragged on in message board or Facebook groups because so far I think it's amazing.

• Like 1

I have both the Spider V and the HX and plan to use them as PolMol has suggested.   But....how can this sound good with no amp chosen in the Spider V and there are no amps in the HX?   Wouldn't it make sense to set a clean patch in the Spider - with an amp, plus some EQ, reverb, maybe some compression....then feed the HX into that patch?   I set up a Fender sound by editing a Spider patch while comparing it to a real Fender Deluxe.   That becomes my basic sound and the HX becomes my pedalboard.   So PolMol.....Why no amp in your setup?  

12 minutes ago, Bluesman27 said:

I have both the Spider V and the HX and plan to use them as PolMol has suggested.   But....how can this sound good with no amp chosen in the Spider V and there are no amps in the HX?   Wouldn't it make sense to set a clean patch in the Spider - with an amp, plus some EQ, reverb, maybe some compression....then feed the HX into that patch?   I set up a Fender sound by editing a Spider patch while comparing it to a real Fender Deluxe.   That becomes my basic sound and the HX becomes my pedalboard.   So PolMol.....Why no amp in your setup?  

You're correct that if you are using the HX Effects then you would need an amp model active (unless you're doing an acoustic guitar) on the Spider V. Honestly, the HX Effects seems a bit limiting with the Spider V because without an effects loop, you're basically stuck using the HX Effects for only pre amp effects. Not horrible, but rather limiting.

Of course, as I think some mentioned, you can do some pretty wonky crazy things by doing a purely wet signal from the HX Effects into the auxiliary in of the Spider V. I've tried some funky crap like that with smaller amps that didn't have an effects loop and it can actually work surprisingly well, but usually you have to spend more time getting the balance to be JUST right since it was intended more for a music player playback where you controlled the volume and balance with the attached player.