Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - First Impressions

bsd512

Mine arrived today. I know I'm not Line 6's exact market for this since I'm already a Helix owner and already sold on modelers. I recreated one of my favorite presets in the Stomp and I'm totally impressed!! No, a couple of my wish-list items were not included, but it was close enough so I got it. It will work great for me.

And so small ... This is a brilliant product - considering their entire HX ecosystem from Helix, Helix LT, Native, HX Effects, and now HX Stomp - all compatible to the highest degree that makes sense. By themselves they are all great products. When considered together - the product line is a tour-de-force of modeling and marketing genius. Line 6 is taking over the world.

I did some Stomp vs Helix testing and am completely satisfied.

i-z26cNrB-X3.jpg

Love the size of the unit..... I got mine in yesterday..... a day before I fly out for three weeks.... I’m able to throw this in my laptop backpack and there’s a guitar waiting for me at my destination..... I will be able to mess with it while I’m out of town..... the portable Helix... lol

I've heard some folks saying it gets pretty hot. It does get a little warm, but not much more than some other pedals I have. Looks like about 100F or 36C. Line 6 says that's normal. While it's warm, it doesn't feel hot.

The stomp is on the desk upper left.

i-5pK68xS.jpg

i-KzZBHbG.jpg

I'm having some serious fun with this tiny Helix!

A while back I got a little VOX Adio Air GT for ultra portability and good sound (it does sound good!). It's full stereo and also designed to stream backing tracks and so on, so it's essentially a tiny stereo FRFR will a modeler built-in. It also has an AUX input for connecting any 3.5mm stereo plug - you can connect a drum machine, MP3 player, whatever.

I connected up my Stomp from its stereo outs using a 3.5mm stereo -> 2 x 1/4" mono adapter cable, and was STUNNED at how good it sounded. For such a small amp, it delivers a GREAT sound for the Stomp. Of course, it wouldn't be appropriate for a live band setting, it doesn't get quite that loud, but the sound is huge for its size.

I fed couple presets into it - the one loaded below is the ENGL with a stereo ping-pong delay feeding into the ganymede stereo reverb. Again ... I was stunned!

I must say, I am extremely happy with the Stomp. And if you're looking for a very small stereo capable playback amp that packs a good sound for its size, try the VOX Adio GT. It's not the prettiest thing to look at, but it sure does sound great driven by the Stomp (or Helix). It sounds way bigger than it looks.

i-2frqgc6-X2.jpg

• Like 1

Enough testing and reproducing some of my favorite presets from the Helix on the bench. The Stomp has officially replaced my Amplifi TT as my "downstairs" processor in my living room by the easy chair. Good lord ... the difference in quality is tremendous. Do I really need it for that - no, this is a pure luxury item for me, and I'm happy to have it. It sounds incredible - just like the Helix. What a great stomp!

Note - that's the Amplifi TT under the Stomp - the Stomp is about 2/3's the size of the TT in length and width, and probably 1/3 total physical volume. And sounds 100 times better.

i-SLDrVbv-X3.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just ordered the HX Stomp. I let go of a TC Electronics G System and a Nova System. I'm fairly sure the Stomp will outdo both my previous units. I will be building a pedalboard around the HX Stomp and will be using an outboard compressor and tube distortion. I will probably run the Stomp through my Vox MV50 Clean.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First Helix for me, although the other guitarist in our band has the big one and loves it. I've always been a tube amp guy so this is a change - but I'm getting tired of dragging all that poundage to sports bar gigs :)

The amp/cab sims sound good, much better than the last modeler I had, a Vox from about ten years ago. The tech has greatly improved. All the effects sound fine, although some of the overdrive sims aren't quite as good as the pedals they emulate. I do like the Minotaur, that's my favorite so far.

The interface is logical and not too fussy - there will always be a bit of fuss when you have limited buttons. One design flaw is the constantly blinking red tap/tuner light - whoever thought that was a good idea doesn't play on stage. Nothing worse than a flashing red light to harsh your buzz. I turned it off in global settings. Too bad it can't just be on in dim mode. 

It's finally more than I really need, but I wanted something of high quality that I could run directly into FOH.  This weekend I'll be testing it in my home PA to see how it sounds.

• Like 1

I am a tube snob and have problems adjusting to digital tones. That being said, I am playing my HX Stomp into a Vox MV50 Clean which uses a new "NuTube" technology which does wonders for my ears. 50 watts into 4 ohm load with a tiny footprint for just under $200. Light enough to fit onto your pedalboard.

14 hours ago, JeffBlue1 said:

I am a tube snob and have problems adjusting to digital tones. That being said, I am playing my HX Stomp into a Vox MV50 Clean which uses a new "NuTube" technology which does wonders for my ears. 50 watts into 4 ohm load with a tiny footprint for just under $200. Light enough to fit onto your pedalboard.

I have an LT through a PowerCab+ in the attic but for downstairs, like you, I've got a Stomp into an MV50 Clean, driving two VOX BC108 cabs.

It's a great combination.