Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Pedaltrain boards

VirtualGuitars

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing either a Pedaltrain Classic Pro (36"x16"x3.5") or Terra 42 (42"x14.5"x3.5") to use with my Helix, two Mission Engineering pedals, and Relay G70.  I am concerned about the extra angle being too extreme to use with the Helix LCD screen, button angle, and expression pedals.  Please share your experience if you use your Helix with a Pedaltrain board.  Thank you so much.

Here are the links to the two I am considering:

https://pedaltrain.com/collections/big-rigs/products/pt-clp-sc

https://pedaltrain.com/collections/big-rigs/products/pt-ter-sc

Thanks,

David

I used a Helix with a pair of Mission pedals on a Pedaltrain Classic Pro for about a year and had no problems with viewing or usage angle.  If you did have issues, you could always put the Helix itself on a couple of risers and leave the pedals on the board as normal but I never saw a need to do it.  At one point I did put the Helix on a riser because I moved it to the back and had a couple of other pedals in front and didn't have any issues either.

• Like 1

Hi David,

I have used Helix Floor with a Pedaltrain Classic Pro, but my application is different from most. 

On my Pro there is an RMC wah, Mission Volume, and a Wampler Dual Fusion, along with a Pedal Power 2+ underneath that powers everything including Helix.

The angle is fine for the buttons, the on board expression pedal is a little high up (but I don't mind it), and the LCD screen is easily visible, you wont have any problems there.

Having said that I would not buy one to transport the Helix. I have the soft bag version of the Pro and would not put the Helix in that as I reckon the floor version is a bit too tall and could be exposed to impact (the jog wheel! The big screen!). Mine lives permanently on stage at our church and I just bring the Helix to it and plug it in. I can then pick the whole lot up at once and relocate anywhere on stage, which is brilliant, but that's the only reason I use it.

My humble alternative suggestion is a Pelican style plastic gun case with a flat perforated aluminium pedal board (Custom District make one that looks great, or just DIY for your own needs). It would be light, durable, waterproof, have wheels built in, be easy to load, have handles in the all the right places, and stack beside guitar cases neatly. I have been thinking about that setup for my own gear.

However, secure attachment is always the tricky bit for a Helix sized doodad, no matter what board we select...

Bozie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hal3001 said:

I used a Helix with a pair of Mission pedals on a Pedaltrain Classic Pro for about a year and had no problems with viewing or usage angle.  If you did have issues, you could always put the Helix itself on a couple of risers and leave the pedals on the board as normal but I never saw a need to do it.  At one point I did put the Helix on a riser because I moved it to the back and had a couple of other pedals in front and didn't have any issues either.

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I'm assuming it worked well for you if you used it for a year.  Appreciate the response.

2 hours ago, Bozie said:

Hi David,

I have used Helix Floor with a Pedaltrain Classic Pro, but my application is different from most. 

On my Pro there is an RMC wah, Mission Volume, and a Wampler Dual Fusion, along with a Pedal Power 2+ underneath that powers everything including Helix.

The angle is fine for the buttons, the on board expression pedal is a little high up (but I don't mind it), and the LCD screen is easily visible, you wont have any problems there.

Having said that I would not buy one to transport the Helix. I have the soft bag version of the Pro and would not put the Helix in that as I reckon the floor version is a bit too tall and could be exposed to impact (the jog wheel! The big screen!). Mine lives permanently on stage at our church and I just bring the Helix to it and plug it in. I can then pick the whole lot up at once and relocate anywhere on stage, which is brilliant, but that's the only reason I use it.

My humble alternative suggestion is a Pelican style plastic gun case with a flat perforated aluminium pedal board (Custom District make one that looks great, or just DIY for your own needs). It would be light, durable, waterproof, have wheels built in, be easy to load, have handles in the all the right places, and stack beside guitar cases neatly. I have been thinking about that setup for my own gear.

However, secure attachment is always the tricky bit for a Helix sized doodad, no matter what board we select...

Bozie

Thanks for the reply.  My thought was that I could remove the Helix and put it in the Backpack case if I need to travel with them.  This is mainly for home use.  My goal is to have everything on one board with some moderate cable management.

I’ve always preferred the helix (and hd500) sitting on the floor versus on a pedalboard.   The extra angle from a tilted pedalboard does bug me, though it’s not unusable or anything.  Everything still looks and works fine.  I guess it’s just what you’re used to.   

• Like 1

I was looking into the Classic Pro as well.  My thinking was really only to hide the cables and power supplys under the board.

I have been using a RoadCases USA 32"x16" case.  I just have to take the lid off and hook up a few cables.  I also attached a railing flange to the bottom and I attach a mic stand to that.  This board is heavy and I think a pedaltrain would be even more weight.  I also don't think I would like the angle of the pedaltrain, especially for using the wah.  I like it flat on the ground.

pedal board.jpg