Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 240 Bypass?

gunpointmetal

Did a quick search and didn't find anything on the subject. I haven't seriously used Spider amp for anything in a looooong time, but I remember the version I had at the time had the option to bypass all the processing and go straight from the input to amplifier. Does the Spider V 240 (combo) have this capability? I've been looking at 2x12 cabs to run my Helix into (long story about FRFR being awesome but sound guys and small rooms not being PA monitor as a guitar rig friendly) and realized for what I'm paying for a cab I could grab one of these combos. Tried one out at GC and it's LOUD and PUNCHY, which is exactly what I want it for, but I'd like to utilize it as an amp/cab for my Helix and I'm not real keen on using a 1/4" - 3.5mm adapter to run into the AUX input, plus I really only need mono for Live use anyways. 

TL;DR - is there a way to plug into the instrument input and bypass all the processing to use it as a makeshift PowerCab?

You can create a preset and use the "No Amp" block to basically bypass any amp modeling. I haven't tried it and I have a Helix, but it might work. If you reinforce the cable so that it doesn't strain the 1/8" jack, you could probably get away with using it and having a stereo monitor is pretty cool when you're standing in front of it.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 1:02 PM, gtrman100 said:

You can create a preset and use the "No Amp" block to basically bypass any amp modeling. I haven't tried it and I have a Helix, but it might work. If you reinforce the cable so that it doesn't strain the 1/8" jack, you could probably get away with using it and having a stereo monitor is pretty cool when you're standing in front of it.

If you get a chance, mind running a DI helix preset into the front end with everything disabled and let me know how it sounds. For me to be comfortable using the 3.5mm jack I'd need some way of secure it at the input to the amp, and the adapters that connect to the 1/4" cables. If it works the way I want it in mono, I might just wait till the warranty expires and have a pro split the input into two 1/4" hardwired jacks, lol.