Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT volume and signal/noise ratio

Hollowman_d1

Hello!

I plug my Helix LT directly to a mixer via the XLR main outputs. I use AMPs simulation built in the device (not a stand alone AMP). The task is to achieve the best quality signal at the stand-alone mixer input stage. There are two way to control volume using either or both of the onboard Volume regulator and Channel Volume for a built-in AMP simulation. Please, how to achieve the better signal/noise ratio for the output signal? Should I be focused to adjust more output using the onboard Volume regulator instead of Channel Volume for a built-in AMP simulation or vice versa?

Thanks.           

One thing to remember is that the physical volume knob essentially only turns the signal down. When it's turned up all of the way, the Helix is supposedly at unity gain (input equals output) according to several Line 6 people. So for the highest signal to noise ratio, you want to turn the physical volume knob all of the way up.

Just some other fantasies came into my head... 

Then why do they even put this regulator if you can adjust the channel volume through the settings of an emulated amplifier? After all, you can certainly in the internal circuit of the device provide an option when it will always produce the best signal-to-noise ratio, and adjust the Channel Volume in the settings of the built-in emulated amplifiers. In this case, the physical volume control knob on the device body will be superfluous and the production expenses would be cheaper???)))

For instance: XLR to mixer, 1/4" out to stage monitor, big knob set to control 1/4" only. XLR gets full output so FOH/recording console gets consistent signal. Big knob allows easy adjustment by player for stage level. Channel level can be used for leveling presets.

I'd agree with brue58ski since in my older X3 Live manual it was mentioned to keep the master volume knob on the device body always at max level while playing in Line via the XLRs. But in the Helix LT manual is nothing about that. That's why I am tormented by doubts to apply this rule for the Helix LT as well.

May be some guys from Line 6 could put a light on this question?         

For rd2rk,

Thanks for the comments.  I checked the output level of the XLR after assigning the volume control knob to only 1/4" outputs only. I made sure that output level is the same as when you set the volume knob to maximum when it's assigned to control the XLR outputs.

So, my doubts disappeared))