Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 HX Stomp in 4CM + Victory Amps V4 Preamp

notchinyou

Got a bit of a technical question here with connections.  I bought the HX Stomp and I'm also interested in a preamp pedal. Essentially building a board for an amp-less setup.  Having a preamp pedal on the board and using the HX cab sims or IRs.

My question is connecting the two and output to FOH or powered speakers.  I want to run the HX Stomp in 4CM too, which is where the confusion lies.

Is it possible to even connect the HX Stomp and a preamp pedal in 4CM without using a cab? I've attached screenshots with the preamp connections.

EDIT: Maybe I was thinking too much into this, but would this be the proper connection?

• Guitar > HX Stomp L Mono In
  • HX Stomp Send > V4 Preamp In
  • HX Stomp Return > V4 Preamp Effect Out
  • HX Stomp Outputs to FOH
  • In HX blocks, route the V4 Preamp before mod/delay/reverb

??

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 12.07.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 12.41.36 PM.png

I think you bought the wrong pedal!

If you are very keen to use the Victory pedal, why do you have the HXstomp?  They overlap a lot.  You just bought the thing - have you throughly checked all the amp sims available in the unit?  I can't see you needing the Victory (although I'm certain it sounds great!)?

I think if you are sold on the sound of the Victory, you needed HXFX - then you would have a great set of FX that are easy to access and set up changes.  You could have then used that 4 cable with the Victory as your amp tone.  You should (I've not checked levels, but I'd be 95% certain this will work) be able to run the victory back into the HXFX for IRs.  You still need a power amp (assuming you want on stage sound)  but there are pedal sized amps these days.  Any other pedal you want can be connected to the HXFX too.  The HX stomp is a full Helix with limited control and I/O - not really the correct tool for the type of usage you seem to be trying to achieve.

20 hours ago, notchinyou said:

Got a bit of a technical question here with connections.  I bought the HX Stomp and I'm also interested in a preamp pedal. Essentially building a board for an amp-less setup.  Having a preamp pedal on the board and using the HX cab sims or IRs.

My question is connecting the two and output to FOH or powered speakers.  I want to run the HX Stomp in 4CM too, which is where the confusion lies.

Is it possible to even connect the HX Stomp and a preamp pedal in 4CM without using a cab? I've attached screenshots with the preamp connections.

EDIT: Maybe I was thinking too much into this, but would this be the proper connection?

• Guitar > HX Stomp L Mono In
  • HX Stomp Send > V4 Preamp In
  • HX Stomp Return > V4 Preamp Effect Out
  • HX Stomp Outputs to FOH
  • In HX blocks, route the V4 Preamp before mod/delay/reverb

??

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 12.07.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 12.41.36 PM.png

yes, This would the correct way. Or at least that is what I would do. Essentially hook up the V4 like it is a preamp of a regular amp

13 hours ago, rvroberts said:

I think you bought the wrong pedal!

If you are very keen to use the Victory pedal, why do you have the HXstomp?  They overlap a lot.  You just bought the thing - have you throughly checked all the amp sims available in the unit?  I can't see you needing the Victory (although I'm certain it sounds great!)?

I think if you are sold on the sound of the Victory, you needed HXFX - then you would have a great set of FX that are easy to access and set up changes.  You could have then used that 4 cable with the Victory as your amp tone.  You should (I've not checked levels, but I'd be 95% certain this will work) be able to run the victory back into the HXFX for IRs.  You still need a power amp (assuming you want on stage sound)  but there are pedal sized amps these days.  Any other pedal you want can be connected to the HXFX too.  The HX stomp is a full Helix with limited control and I/O - not really the correct tool for the type of usage you seem to be trying to achieve.

First, no need to be like that your coming off really condescending and judgemental.

second, who cares what he wants to do . It is his rig. He didn’t ask for your comments on that.

Finally, I can think of a many reasons why I would want to do this. Maybe he wants the compact rig of the stomp but wants to have a high gain but prefers the full warmth of the clean tube most of the time. Maybe he doesn’t need all the switch’s the HX effects has and might as well get the amp models with the HX stomp. Maybe he wants an audio interface with amp sims for recording but doesn’t want to spend a ton on the helix and doesn’t want to buy an HXFX and a stomp.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@notchinyou I just got me the HX stomp and run it pre and post my V4 (and a Torpedo C.A.B. M) via a Musicom LE Switcher that controls the HX Stomp via midi. Allows me to have effect loop pre and post the V4. Midi controller of the HX Stomp is pretty straight forward usin snapshots. 
Why not the HX FX for me? Stomp doubles as a compact travel rig so need the amp modells...

• 11 months later...

Hey I have a very similar problem where i dont know how to connect my v4 kraken to my helix. I want to continue using my helix effects before and after my v4 and my amp but i dont know how to connect the helix and v4 in the loop and in front both at the same time in 4cm (8 cables method in this case?? Haha) Does anyone would have an idea how to achieve that?

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So where are we on this? Can anyone follow up on how to connect a Victory V4 to an HX Stomp? I'd like to change it a bit and simply connect it to an amp. How would that work?

EDIT:

Hold on a sec... speaking of over thinking things. 

In my case, I have the Stomp XL hooked up to my amp using the 4CM including a spliter out of the SEND. So I've got a TIP and RING. My RING side connects the external effects pedals that need to be placed after the amps preamp (my delay, chorus, reverb and EQ pedal). That RING signal path is routed back to the Stomp into the Return R connection. I use the FX Loop R Block to turn on the entire path or turn it all off. Anyway, it seems to me that if using a Victory V4 with the Stomp, all I need to do is place that pedal into the RING path as a normal pedal (in and out). There's no need to use the 4CM connections because the Stomp is already set up to do that. Just need to add it to the mix.

Is that correct???

Edited by adagosto
Added new info

• 6 months later...

Actually, this scenario is described in the Victory Preamps Manuals in Q/A section:

I've try that with Kraken pre-amp + duchess V140 and Line 6 HX FX and it works like a charm...!!!

------ ------- 

Q: I have a multi-effects pedal (a Line6 Helix for example) which I use with four cables method.
How can I integrate my V4 preamp into this setup in Amp-Through mode?

A: Connect the send of the multi-effects (which goes to the input of your amp) to the input of the V4 Preamp. Connect the Through output of the V4 Preamp to the input of the amp.
Then connect the amp’s FX Send, which goes to the return of the multi-effects’ return, to the Loop In of the V4 Preamp. Finally connect the Loop Out of the V4 Preamp to the return of the multi-effects.
This way both the preamp of the amp and the V4 are in the loop of the multi-effects and the V4 works in Amp-Through mode. If your multi-effects pedal has a short-to-sleeve type switch output you can use it to switch the V4 Preamp’s bypass and channels via the Remote Switch
socket.