Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quickest way to add 3 or 4 footswitches to HX Stomp

pott24

Currently I'm using a Boss FS6, but I need more than 5 switches overall.

I'm thinking I'd like this to be my ideal setup:

3 x footswitches for 3 x presets

2 for stomps

1 for another stomp, Tap/Tuner, or snapshot down, whatever

I could use the unit's switches to bank up/down and select presets in Play mode, but then I'd still want some control over stompboxes.

I feel that it'd be more flexible to keep the Bank up/down + preset selects on the HX, and use the external controller permanently mapped to blocks (for example), 1, 2, and 4 (with the amp in 3).

It looks as if Midi will do it however I am a COMPLETE noob there.

I'm looking at:

* Tech21 Midi Mouse (from my limited experience, it looks like it may store entire presets, but not individual change commands?)

* Disaster Area 3

* insert your suggestion here!

I genuinely have no idea how to program all of this. But I suspect that once Helix Edit supports PC, it will be much easier and be a perfect opportunity to learn.

Thanks for any insights!

44 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Google "Morningstar MC6". It is exactly what you want.

That is actually one of the contenders, which I saw you recommend quite a bit on these very forums :) Thanks!

I've read-up tons about Midi etc... and genuinely have no clue how to make it all work; I may just have to take the plunge and figure it out on the go.

Re: iPad. Thanks for the suggestions; I have never owned nor care one bit about Apple's ecosystem. I really need/want footswitches and physical hardware here.

This does sound like it'd be pretty cool onstage, to change presets between songs etc... though!

9 hours ago, Ed_Saxman said:

What about using an iPad as MIDI controller?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159493056@N07/sets/72157694109073184

You can even go wireless using the Yamaha BT01.

This is my new "main screen" design, by the way:

IMG_1622.jpg

I'm not really an iPad guy either but I do have one compliments of my job.  I'd love to know how this works.  I know just enough about MIDI to have my Helix control my amp.  This .jpg looks really nice but I have no idea how to put it to use.  BTW, I do have the camera connection kit for the iPad.

Interesting; the Morningstar MC6 and Disaster Area DMC-6 end-up costing the same after shipping.

The Disaster Area can also be found second-hand more locally...

Are they equivalent units?

I've done a bit of reading on it recently and there is a thing I can't figure out...

Can I keep some/any switches on the Midi unit to ALWAYS be assigned to trigger stompboxes, regardless of the Play mode selected on the Stomp?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there...

I'm very interested in the ipad controlling helix through midi... and love the Yamaha BT01 wireless option.

How do I get the app for that?

BTW - you should also check out the MIDI GRANDE midi footcontrollers - been researching the heck out of this myself and this is one of the best ones and most affordable with most available options I have found.  You can order different numbers of footswitches (3, 4, 6, 8, 10)... can't beat it.

Plus they look cool and seem straightforward to program.

haven't bought one yet but planning on it.

https://www.microdesignum.cz/EN/Products/MIDI-Controllers/MIDI-Grande

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 11:01 PM, pott24 said:

Interesting; the Morningstar MC6 and Disaster Area DMC-6 end-up costing the same after shipping.

The Disaster Area can also be found second-hand more locally...

Are they equivalent units?

I've done a bit of reading on it recently and there is a thing I can't figure out...

Can I keep some/any switches on the Midi unit to ALWAYS be assigned to trigger stompboxes, regardless of the Play mode selected on the Stomp?

I'll add one more solid vote for the MC6. IMO, Morningstar is lightyears ahead of the DMC in terms of flexibility and capability, not to mention overall design quality. The DMC doesn't even come close as far as I'm concerned.

Re: your second question - by default on the Stomp, the base predefined midi commands can only selectively manipulate presets or snapshots or reproduce the function of any one of the Stomp footswitches. *HOWEVER*, you can selectively assign any individual dsp block on the stomp to learn a unique MIDI CC message from the controller, and toggle that setting on and off just by sending that CC witha value of 0-63(off)/64-127(on). As far as I can tell, that's always possible regardless of play mode/stomp footswitch setup, since you've baked it into the chain. It's really super flexible. See page 48 on the Stomp manual for info on custom bypass per block via MIDI.

I actually ended-up getting quite the Arsenal for the Stomp...

Boss FS7

MC6

MC6 additional switches

Tech 21 Midi Mouse

I did figure that I do not want the MC6 to control individual effects/blocks, as this requires a lot more programming.

Rather, I am using the HX Stomp in Stomp mode, and use the MC6 so that each bank can be:

* 4 x Presets

* Snapshot Up

* Snapshot Down (+ Tuner on Long Press)

The Tech 21 is just when I'm too lazy to wire everything. I've not used the MC6's additional switches yet. And the FS7 means I can control 5 stomps at once.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, Ed_Saxman said:

What about using an iPad as MIDI controller?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159493056@N07/sets/72157694109073184

You can even go wireless using the Yamaha BT01.

This is my new "main screen" design, by the way:

IMG_1622.jpg

Where can I get one of them. I'm guessing it is based on OSC touch or something. I have something similar to control reaper wirelessly. I have not worked out how to create my own controllers yet and would not know where to begin with the stomp.

• 2 years later...

in y’all’s opinion which one better blackstar live logic or Morningstar mc6? And why? I’m trying to connect hx stomp, big sky, and tempus via midi in which 2 switches can bank  up and down on stomp and big sky and 2 switches for A AND B patches on big sky?