Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nashville tuning??

kenmac1

I'm not sure if it is better to put this in the JTV or Helix section, so I will post it to both.
I'm recording at the moment and want to know if anyone has a way to use the JTV / Helix set up for a Nashville Tuning type idea?
Ok so what I mean by that is... Ordinarily to do Nashville tuning we grab two acoustic (or even electric guitars) and split a set of 12 strings over the pair of guitars.  So the normal tuned strings go on one instrument, and the higher set go onto the other.  Then you play the same passages twice, (One on each instrument), and pan each track left / right to give the effect of a 12 string guitar with a very wide stereo field, because the coinciding pairs of strings appear on opposite sides of the stereo field.  This is great for simplistic strummed rhythms, or if you play a song one way every time, but if like myself you humanise a song each time you play it,  (on some songs I like to free time the feel), it is not ideal at all.
So what I want to achieve is, using one of the 12 string sounds available inside the JTV / Helix rig, I want to record the sound into stereo, so I will run each of the output leads of the Helix into separate tracks, and pan them hard left and right, but I do not know if the Helix and JTV set up can be set to give this effect?    I'm pretty sure there must be a way to achieve it, and I am guessing someone has probably already done this in the past, since Nashville tuning, particularly on acoustic recordings is becoming more and more common.
If anyone has a patch set up to do this, please attach a link, as I am terrified of the entire programming side of these things.  (Yes I still prefer plugging pedals into an amp and going old school, because I know what I am doing that way).

You can't split the 12-string model into "two paths" in any way. You could probably set up a patch in Variax that is a 6-string tuned Nashville style, very easily, then simply record with that model, then do the other track with the standard tuning.

But no, you can't split the high and low strings.

Now... ELECTRIC... you could maybe do this. Have the model be a nashville tuned electric guitar, and the mags separately processed (you can only do this through Helix, HD 500, and I think X3) through two different tracks.

12 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

You can't split the 12-string model into "two paths" in any way. You could probably set up a patch in Variax that is a 6-string tuned Nashville style, very easily, then simply record with that model, then do the other track with the standard tuning.

But no, you can't split the high and low strings.

Now... ELECTRIC... you could maybe do this. Have the model be a nashville tuned electric guitar, and the mags separately processed (you can only do this through Helix, HD 500, and I think X3) through two different tracks.

I specifically want 12 string acoustic split, so once again I have a suggestion that the Line 6 gurus should maybe consider, especially since the Nashville tuning is so prominent on modern acoustic recordings, so this would be something I'm sure many of us would utilise.  
I'm actually surprised there is no way to do this, since the system is emulating the 12 string tones anyhow, and the acoustic tones, so to me taking it that one step further and allowing those sounds to be split into stereo tracks doesn't seem to impossible.  Having said that, I know nothing about programming, only what I want / need to achieve.

They can emulate a hundred different bodies, pickups and even some more obscure instruments inside the JTV / Helix gear, but they can't stereo split one of those creations.  That to me seems much easier than all the other stuff they have done combined.