Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I intentionally delay a stereo out?

jbassplayer

I'm not even sure what this technique is called. When I record guitars on my PC, I will pan one hard left and hard right and put a 5 to 8 millisecond delay on one of the tracks to give it a widening effect. Is there any way to do this with the Helix LT and the stereo XLR outputs? Sorry if this is already been addressed, but I couldn't find anything on it

You can split your signal, put a simple delay on one side, and set feedback to 0, mix to 100% and the delay time to 8ms.

Or... you can experiment with the fantastic "double take" effect (in modulation) which simulates the way this used to be done back when the Beatles started doing this. It works really well, but you really need to do it in Stereo, and it's a CPU-HEAVY effect.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PeterHamm said:

You can split your signal, put a simple delay on one side, and set feedback to 0, mix to 100% and the delay time to 8ms.

Or... you can experiment with the fantastic "double take" effect (in modulation) which simulates the way this used to be done back when the Beatles started doing this. It works really well, but you really need to do it in Stereo, and it's a CPU-HEAVY effect.

Thanks so much bro. 

If you don't want to use an entire path for this purpose, there are other ways besides the double take, which is pretty bad. It has a lot of phasing issues, and there's just something 'off' about the effect. It might work ok on clean tones, but forget anything beyond that. Alternatives could be the dual delay, or for more control besides just delay try the dual pitch which allows you to use delay and pitch (cents granularity).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, duncann said:

If you don't want to use an entire path for this purpose, there are other ways besides the double take, which is pretty bad. It has a lot of phasing issues, and there's just something 'off' about the effect. It might work ok on clean tones, but forget anything beyond that. Alternatives could be the dual delay, or for more control besides just delay try the dual pitch which allows you to use delay and pitch (cents granularity).

play with slop (all the way down) and sensitivity, and it works really very well.

2 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

play with slop (all the way down) and sensitivity, and it works really very well.

I've pretty much tried all the available combinations between all the parameters and was never really satisfied with it. No matter the settings, the closer I listened to it the more I thought something seemed a little too misplaced and/or artificial. I should note that this is with only studio type work, and headphones. Nothing live. So its deficiencies might vanish under different environmental conditions.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:06 PM, duncann said:

I've pretty much tried all the available combinations between all the parameters and was never really satisfied with it. No matter the settings, the closer I listened to it the more I thought something seemed a little too misplaced and/or artificial. I should note that this is with only studio type work, and headphones. Nothing live. So its deficiencies might vanish under different environmental conditions.

I feel the same way with the double take.  I use the Mimiq and it sounds amazing.

I would suggest using a Simple Pitch in a split path (both paths panned hard left and right) and use only 8 cents of pitch adjustment and then add about 20-30 ms of delay (available in the effect itself) and don't forget to turn it to 100% mix.  You may also need to boost the output of the effected path by 2 or 3 dB.