Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix + Powercab Plus sounds muffled

zombie2473

Hey all,

So I just got a helix and a powercab plus yesterday and obviously i have a lot of learning to do. This could be purely a volume thing but im not sure as i havent had a chance to really crank it yet. I'm just scrolling through the amps completely dry but every single one sounds really muffled and lifeless. I'm connecting through the l6 link and using the cab simulations built into powercab with no cab on the helix. All of the high gain stuff sounds especially bad. any suggestions on what i may be doing wrong? any settings on the helix and/or powercab that i may have to change to make this sound better?

I spent a while with it.... the review I gave was that it made my helix sound like an old cheap spider.

At that price and a coax speaker you aren't going to get glorious. I suppose if someone's on a budget but an used PA speaker may be money better spent.

Since you just got both the Helix and PC+, it's really hard to say what you need to do. More than likely a dozen things, since there's no secret setting that makes everything sound great all at once. Gain staging your entire signal chain, is a good start. Make sure you have a line level signal hitting the PC+, strong enough to keep the light green to amber. You may need to go into the PC+ edit and raise the level of the speaker sim you're using. 

As far as the PC+ goes, I gig with mine. I think it's great. My DXR12 rarely gets used since getting the PC+. 

39 minutes ago, specracer986 said:

Since you just got both the Helix and PC+, it's really hard to say what you need to do. More than likely a dozen things, since there's no secret setting that makes everything sound great all at once. Gain staging your entire signal chain, is a good start. Make sure you have a line level signal hitting the PC+, strong enough to keep the light green to amber. You may need to go into the PC+ edit and raise the level of the speaker sim you're using. 

As far as the PC+ goes, I gig with mine. I think it's great. My DXR12 rarely gets used since getting the PC+. 

Thanks, I did raise all the speaker sims up to 0. Is there anything helix side that you suggest? I’ve only had it two days now and it’s a little overwhelming all of the options. I just feel like all of the amps shouldn’t sound so muffled. Not talking about any added effects or anything just basic amp model + power cab. If they’re all sounding muffled right from the very begginning, I feel like either something is wrong, or I need to change some universal setting somewhere.