Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack + Control Pedal Edit mode with expression pedal

wilkinsi

It just occured to me - when you stomp and hold EDIT on Helix Control, does it automatically use specific EXP input(s) to allow adjusting parameters? On Helix Floor, I can edit using the built in expression pedal. How does this work on Helix Rack + Control + Expression Pedal? And, is the Mission Engineering ("Mission Helix") the only compatible expression pedal, or are there others to choose from?

On Control, it seems that you can use any, although the FIRST time you go to a parameter in an FX block, SOMETIMES, you HAVE to use EXP 1 until you select another priority.

I also find that using the value- and value+ buttons is a little bit easier for most things.

There are a LOT of pedals that work. I've used the Volume Pedal (NOT the EXP pedal) output jack of an old Korg EXP2, I've used a VP Jr. and I've used a pair of zoom EXP pedals, although with those, I ended up making modified cables to make them work just right.

15 hours ago, wilkinsi said:

So as long as I put the expression pedal in EXP1 on Control, it can be done?

I've only owned a Boss FV500H and 500L, and neither were very accurate with an Eventide Eclipse.

Yes. I have no idea about those pedals, though. I've never used them. I've used the Roland EXP pedal with previous Line 6 devices and it worked just peachy.

The Ernie ball VP Jr. works excellently as a vol pedal with a regular cable (T/S), and equally as well as an expression with an Insert cable, see attached pdf file . The Ernie ball pedals are built like tanks, are very smooth and will be cheaper, I got my pedals for $85 US each. To each his own, but this is a workable solution, and won't cost what a mission pedal or line 6 costs, and some say the mission pedals feel strange. Just trying to help Good luck.

insert cable w pedal.pdf

Didn't find an Ernie Ball, but I did get to try out a Roland EV-5, but it wasn't much better. Someone suggested an Electro Harmonix Next Step Expression Pedal. No moving parts, all one solid piece. I could imagine myself getting irritated by it hitting the floor everytime I release it. Does anyone here have experience with this particular pedal?

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I found the EHX to be a real PITA. No way was I taking that home. I did, however, manage to get Control to react to EXP2 (built in expression pedal) on Helix Floor. Whilst it was unstable in Pedal Edit Mode, I was able to assign EXP1 on Helix Control via Controller Assign/MIDI Learn to control a reverb block's Mix parameter, that is, after I connected a mono cable from CV Out on Helix Floor to Control's EXP1, set EXP2's command on Helix Floor via Command Centre to CV OUT;

• 3 years later...
On 11/9/2018 at 4:30 PM, wilkinsi said:

I did, however, manage to get Control to react to EXP2 (built in expression pedal) on Helix Floor. Whilst it was unstable in Pedal Edit Mode, I was able to assign EXP1 on Helix Control via Controller Assign/MIDI Learn to control a reverb block's Mix parameter, that is, after I connected a mono cable from CV Out on Helix Floor to Control's EXP1, set EXP2's command on Helix Floor via Command Centre to CV OUT;

That is interesting. Does it still function? Because i once asked here in the forum if i can drive another Helix-unit via the CV-out of the Floor and was told that no. Without to get an explanation. Then i wrote the Line6.service and they did not answer this question but ignored me until my request turned unvalid (and i renewed my question two or three times). I found then another way to achieve my goal, however, this CV-out-solution would still be interesting. If your experience is long-time meanwhile and the Control did not take damage, i would risk a trial with my units.