Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I want a Helix Riser!

Jetson

OK, hear me out. I'm getting too old to be constantly bending up and down to tweak settings, and I'm not as fast and effective with the "toe dancing" edit mode. So here's what I want: I want a device that raises and lowers the Helix on my command! Probably not necessary at gigs, but at home when I just want to play and edit on the fly, bring my Helix up to waist height or so, let me tweak, save, and then lower back to floor for playing.

I know, I know...sad.

Peace!

• Upvote 1

Why not use the Edit software?  I'm old too - I edit on a computer - always - its better I think given the choice.

I sit at a desk, with a computer - it plays music for me (via USB through the Helix) - can't imagine wanting to bend down and do it on the unit!

I copy patches back and forward from the computer to the Helix all the time - it's a way better way to work and it also means I've got neatly arranged (that bit's up to you!) backups of everything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do use Native to avoid the up and down, but it ties me to a computer and a desk and chair. The idea of a Helix riser is truly silly, but as I was standing up practicing and needing to tweak stuff, I realized it would be so cool to have it rise to my level! lol

I think Line6 can solve this by creating an IOs/iPad editor for Helix. Then you could have the iPad on a music stand and edit while having the unit on the floor for foot controller use. 

I have an AMPLIFi 150 that allows this type of IPad control. Wish my Helix had that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, srolfs said:

I think Line6 can solve this by creating an IOs/iPad editor for Helix. Then you could have the iPad on a music stand and edit while having the unit on the floor for foot controller use. 

I have an AMPLIFi 150 that allows this type of IPad control. Wish my Helix had that. 

I had a firehawk FX before and it was a good stuff to change the parameters with the device (it's the only way to tweak things in fact) even if some have some matters to connect their devices.

Unfortunately, the Helix is not provided with bluetooth or wifi so, it won't be able to have this implementation.....

I think, the best way would be to have a computer on a stand with a long cable......

6 hours ago, SteveFrance said:

I had a firehawk FX before and it was a good stuff to change the parameters with the device (it's the only way to tweak things in fact) even if some have some matters to connect their devices.

Unfortunately, the Helix is not provided with bluetooth or wifi so, it won't be able to have this implementation.....

I think, the best way would be to have a computer on a stand with a long cable......

It doesn't necessarily have to be wireless.  It should work with a USB adapter and cable.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jetson said:

OK, hear me out. I'm getting too old to be constantly bending up and down to tweak settings, and I'm not as fast and effective with the "toe dancing" edit mode. So here's what I want: I want a device that raises and lowers the Helix on my command! Probably not necessary at gigs, but at home when I just want to play and edit on the fly, bring my Helix up to waist height or so, let me tweak, save, and then lower back to floor for playing.

I know, I know...sad.

Peace!

The craftmatic adjustable floorboard. :)

How about a reaching aid and screen magnifier instead?  All I can think of to lift the device would be a hydraulic-assisted small table. It’d be bulky and likely custom made.  It’d be easier to either extend your reach or provide additional controls at standing height.  

Another thought is a helix rack with a foot controller.  That’d put your editing right in front of you. 

I actually thought about the versadesk. And I agree that something like that would be a bulky thing almost not worth the convenience. Using a stand is fine until you want to step on buttons, then it's back to the floor...

I'm settling in with using Native to modify stuff, and leaving the Helix on the floor. BTW, I just started assigning switches to midi notes on one of my patches, holy wow, triggering sounds and samples can be a lot of fun. Like a poor man's Taurus pedal! 

16 hours ago, hideout said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be wireless.  It should work with a USB adapter and cable.

IMHO, there are so many light laptop on the market that it's not an enough improvement for L6 to create a new app to use with the HX and, for me, the interest of a tab or a smartphone is to be cable free....

Just my 2 cents on the iOS app and bluetooth. I had an Amplifi 150 and an Amplifi TT. Good lord I hated that iOS interface. When it worked it was kind of ok and even then there were so many mis-fires with the interface - you touch and drag, it doesn't pick up the touch, so you constantly have to do things twice to get a response. Also, and even worse, there were so many disconnect problems. I was constantly having to shut down the app, go back into the phone's system->bluetooth control panel, disconnect from the device, wait a few seconds, reconnect, open the app back up, and attempt a reconnect from there. Fine - now it works for about 10 or 15 minutes and disconnects again. What a pain. Worst amp/pedal adjustment tool ever.

I wouldn't object to the capability being there for others that have better luck, but Line 6, please don't force me to use it - please continue to provide the USB connected HX Edit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 1:21 AM, Jetson said:

I actually thought about the versadesk. And I agree that something like that would be a bulky thing almost not worth the convenience. Using a stand is fine until you want to step on buttons, then it's back to the floor...

I'm settling in with using Native to modify stuff, and leaving the Helix on the floor. BTW, I just started assigning switches to midi notes on one of my patches, holy wow, triggering sounds and samples can be a lot of fun. Like a poor man's Taurus pedal! 

Why not just use Helix Edit with a laptop connected to your Helix Floor through USB?

It doen't really make sense to use Helix Native to this end.

Unless I'm missing something, of course.

• Upvote 1