Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Routing Huge Miss

barryjohns2126

I have been searching the Internet, YouTube, every source under the sun, trying to find the most basic routing diagrams on how to get the most out of my HX Effects When used with my Kemper.

I’ve tried the four cable method in mono, the seven cable method in stereo, and none of it works the way it should. I’ve also tried using my Kemper in the Effects send a return of my HX Effects.   The latter seems to work the best, however, it does not give me the ability to put things like boost, compressor, distortion/overdrive, before the amp portion of my Kemper, allowing me to do time based Effects post my preamp section of the camper. 

Sorry, don't understand your problem.

You can do all of the above.

Let's use the HXFX as the master - you have say a compressor, a couple of overdrives, then a send (at instrument level) - you plug that into the input of your Kemper - then you bring the Kemper back with a return block, add delay or whatever, and feed to your HRHR system - should work fine.

Are you not seeing that you need to assign sends and returns - the HXFX has send and return jacks on the chassis, but they don't do anything till you place a send in your effects chain - is this what you aren't getting?

Then you send at whatever point in the chain you like and return wherever you like - so putting stereo effects after the amp return is simple.  Obviously when you place a send, you need to send the level the device you are sending to expects for it to sound correct.

7 hours ago, barryjohns2126 said:

I have been searching the Internet, YouTube, every source under the sun, trying to find the most basic routing diagrams on how to get the most out of my HX Effects When used with my Kemper.

I’ve tried the four cable method in mono, the seven cable method in stereo, and none of it works the way it should. I’ve also tried using my Kemper in the Effects send a return of my HX Effects.   The latter seems to work the best, however, it does not give me the ability to put things like boost, compressor, distortion/overdrive, before the amp portion of my Kemper, allowing me to do time based Effects post my preamp section of the camper. 

I don't understand what you're saying the problem is. The reply above is worth noting. Not having the FX Loop block in your signal chain is the thing that most people seem to miss when setting up the 4CM with the HX FX.

It's probably best if I explain what I'm hoping to do and see if any of you can advise me on the best way to do it.

I use a Kemper in my studio that is always in stereo.

I want to be able to use some of the effects on the HX Effects Pre Kemper (Compressor/Wha/OD/Distortion etc), and some of the other effects in Stereo after the Preamp part of my Kemper (Delay/Reverb/Chorus all in Stereo).

This seems pretty straight forward if I was only going mono with the 4 Cable Method, and I have successfully done this with one of my Guitar Amps, but I need for it to be in Stereo.

I read on another forum last night, where someone suggested the following:

Guitar Cable Into HX Effects Input

HX Left Send into Kemper Front Panel Guitar Input

HX Right Send into Kemper Alternative Input (On Rear Of Kemper)

Kemper Left and Right Main Outputs into HX Left and Right Returns

HX Left and Right Outputs into my Stereo Studio Monitor Controller that goes to my Studio Monitors

Above works for the stereo effects, but it doesn't allow me to put the effects that I want before the Kemper's Amp Input (Wha/OD/Dist Etc).  The advantage of the above is I don't have to add an outboard effects routing on every patch inside the Kemper as this method is placing the Kemper in the Send/Return of the HX Effects.

12 minutes ago, barryjohns2126 said:

It's probably best if I explain what I'm hoping to do and see if any of you can advise me on the best way to do it.

I use a Kemper in my studio that is always in stereo.

I want to be able to use some of the effects on the HX Effects Pre Kemper (Compressor/Wha/OD/Distortion etc), and some of the other effects in Stereo after the Preamp part of my Kemper (Delay/Reverb/Chorus all in Stereo).

This seems pretty straight forward if I was only going mono with the 4 Cable Method, and I have successfully done this with one of my Guitar Amps, but I need for it to be in Stereo.

I read on another forum last night, where someone suggested the following:

Guitar Cable Into HX Effects Input

HX Left Send into Kemper Front Panel Guitar Input

HX Right Send into Kemper Alternative Input (On Rear Of Kemper)

Kemper Left and Right Main Outputs into HX Left and Right Returns

HX Left and Right Outputs into my Stereo Studio Monitor Controller that goes to my Studio Monitors

Above works for the stereo effects, but it doesn't allow me to put the effects that I want before the Kemper's Amp Input (Wha/OD/Dist Etc).  The advantage of the above is I don't have to add an outboard effects routing on every patch inside the Kemper as this method is placing the Kemper in the Send/Return of the HX Effects.

I don't see why you couldn't use wahs, ODs, etc in front of the HXFX's FX loop block in this scenario. You don't even have to use the stereo version, but you could if you want. Do you have the FX Loop block in your HXFX presets?

You want to:

Guitar-> [HXFX input]-> COMP/WAH/DST/prefx-> SEND BLOCK-> [HXFXsend(why stereo?you're going mono, here)] -> [KEMPER in] -> KEMPER Preamp -> [Kemper mono send] ->

->[HXFX stereo return] -> HXFX stereo fx post KPpreamp-> [HXFX OUT (L,R)] ->KEMPER STEREO RETURN there you go, it should work, as long as you choose stereo send/return blocks where needed on both HXFX and KP..  (note that this doesn't let you use hxfx post Kemper cab, so you have to choose between having stereo fx between pre and power amp, as in a normal stereo amp loop, or having them post cab, as in a studio setup, but to achieve the latter you can move the stereo send block after the cabs in your Kemper)

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, barryjohns2126 said:

The Kemper doesn’t work this way. Going into the input of the Kemper is not like going into the input of a traditional guitar amplifier. You have to use the Kemper send and return to put any effects that you want before the amp section of the Kemper

Yes you can place pedals between your guitar and the Kemper input... don't waste the Kemper loop before the profiler section. 

If you place the Kemper loop after the preamp it will work just like any other loop on an amp and you can wire it with the 4 cable method (or 7 cable for stereo)...

Use the instructions from @tommasoferrarese above... they are correct.

As I read this thread, it makes me wonder if you are remembering to insert the HX Effects LOOP block? You have been asked, but you have not confirmed. Connecting the cables is not enough. 

I figured the part about being able to put pedals before the Kemper input last night when I realized I miss understood the option of putting it in the effects loop of the Kemper from their video about external pedals.  It only should go in the looop if I wanted to be able to make it part of profiles.

thay being said, I have it all connected the way describes and everything works except one thing.

i get the HX Effects in full arrow, but not on the Kemper’s post amp effects, aka delay.  If I engage a stereo effect in the HX Effects it is in stereo.  But if I’m only using Kemper stereo effects they are being summed to mono.

Im HX Effects I have Send 1 after my typical pre amp input effects, I then place a Stereo Return right after that so I’m getting return from the Kemper.  I then I have my time based HX Effects in Stereo.

Any idea why I’m not getting a stereo return from my Kemper?

57 minutes ago, barryjohns2126 said:

Im HX Effects I have Send 1 after my typical pre amp input effects, I then place a Stereo Return right after that so I’m getting return from the Kemper.  I then I have my time based HX Effects in Stereo.

Your Kemper SEND is in Mono.... there is no reason to setup a stereo return on the HX Effects. Just insert a MONO LOOP on the HX Effects and leave the other loop open for something else. The benefit of setting up a LOOP is that is does a send/return using one block rather than a separate SEND/RETURN that requires two blocks. 

After setting up your stereo time based effects in the HX Effects run your LEFT/RIGHT output to your "RETURN and ALTERNATE IN" on the Kemper. 

In the KEMPER... in the FX Section... hold the X button then choose "Loop Stereo Default". The X button will then toggle the stereo loop on/off. 

57 minutes ago, barryjohns2126 said:

If I engage a stereo effect in the HX Effects it is in stereo.  But if I’m only using Kemper stereo effects they are being summed to mono. Any idea why I’m not getting a stereo return from my Kemper?

Any stereo effect placed before the Kemper loop will be summed to MONO because the Kemper FX Send is only MONO. Make sure your KEMPER stereo effects are placed AFTER the KEMPER Stereo Loop.