Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise in send/return on Helix

kennyhickey

I recently acquired a MXR EVH Flanger a few weeks ago and a Freqout pedal today.. If a create a send/return in the Helix and put one of the pedals in first position(tried 1,2,3,4 send/return)....it creates a lot of noise when either pedal is on (unusable). When off no noise/hiss. If I put it second or any other position it’s fine(rules out bad cables)....Tried each pedal separately, same deal. Not a noise gate issue...I don't think,  I'm using the built in noise gate not a block, tried adjusting. Do I need a noise gate block after the send/return in first position? The noise I'm getting is a bad hiss like I'm running super high gain with no noise gate.  Not understanding why this issue is happening.

thanks for any advice...

You wrote: 

15 hours ago, kennyhickey said:

and put one of the pedals in first position

By "first position," are you referring to having Helix's FX Loop Block in the first position of Helix's Signal Path -- immediately following the Helix's Input Block?

Or, have you reconfigured Helix's Input Block (from the default: "Multi") to use the FX Loop Block where your external pedal is connected?

Or, something other?

Please clarify.

Yes, creating a send/return block after the input block. Input block is set to Muti and noise gate is on.

Trying to put the Freqout first in the signal path, as Digitech suggested, and wanted to experiment with placement of the flanger in the signal path.

if I have the signal path.....input---send/receive---distortion---amp---cab---and so on.......turn on the Freqout pedal there is loud noise/hiss....off no hiss.

If I have the signal path.....input---distortion---send/receive---amp---cab---and so on......turn on Freqout pedal and its dead quiet.

Same if I try the flanger pedal.....not using both pedals at the same time.

Thanks for the help

On 10/16/2018 at 3:20 PM, kennyhickey said:

if I have the signal path.....input---send/receive---distortion---amp---cab---and so on.......turn on the Freqout pedal there is loud noise/hiss....off no hiss.

If I have the signal path.....input---distortion---send/receive---amp---cab---and so on......turn on Freqout pedal and its dead quiet.

Same if I try the flanger pedal.....not using both pedals at the same time.

When you say "turn on the Freqout pedal"....

1. do you mean turn on the LOOP that includes that pedal.... if so, welcome to the club of noticing this... it's not the pedal!
  2. Or do you mean the LOOP is always on and you are manually engaging the pedal which adds the noise.... if so, then my post may not apply!

I just finished going round and round with L6 support about LOOPS/RETURNS prior to a distortion block on the HX Effects. If you try to use a LOOP (or a RETURN) prior to "certain" distortion blocks it can be very noisy.... like somebody turning on a tap. They insist that this is normal, but I have never owned a product with an effects loop that does this... including my old X3 and HD500. It's not a DB or two which I would consider normal, it's 10+db in noise increase.

It's not the pedal in the loop... it's not the loop... and it's not the distortion block you use. It's a combination of Loop/Return followed by certain Distortion blocks.

As you have found, the solution is to put distortion blocks ahead of the Loop... or try changing the distortion block used... they don't all react to the loop in the same way. It's not a solution, but it is a work around. 

On 10/18/2018 at 5:19 AM, codamedia said:

When you say "turn on the Freqout pedal"....

1. do you mean turn on the LOOP that includes that pedal.... if so, welcome to the club of noticing this... it's not the pedal!
  2. Or do you mean the LOOP is always on and you are manually engaging the pedal which adds the noise.... if so, then my post may not apply!

I just finished going round and round with L6 support about LOOPS/RETURNS prior to a distortion block on the HX Effects. If you try to use a LOOP (or a RETURN) prior to "certain" distortion blocks it can be very noisy.... like somebody turning on a tap. They insist that this is normal, but I have never owned a product with an effects loop that does this... including my old X3 and HD500. It's not a DB or two which I would consider normal, it's 10+db in noise increase.

It's not the pedal in the loop... it's not the loop... and it's not the distortion block you use. It's a combination of Loop/Return followed by certain Distortion blocks.

As you have found, the solution is to put distortion blocks ahead of the Loop... or try changing the distortion block used... they don't all react to the loop in the same way. It's not a solution, but it is a work around. 

You Sir are correct. When the loop is added for the Freqout pedal (first after the input block) there is a lot of noise when the loop is on and Freqout is off (or the Freqout is on).  if put it after the distortion block, it is fine. Strange