Jump to content
pott24

Reserved Midi CC and external Midi controllers (HX Stomp)

Recommended Posts

I'm still a little confused about the Reserved Midi CC sections (p49 in https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf).

 

Does it mean I cannot configure an external Midi controller (got a Morningstar MC6 on order) to, for example, always have the Looper controls on bank 1?

Or, for that matter, to change Play modes (Stomp/Snapshots)?

 

I am trying to decouple the Midi controller from Preset-specific messages as much as possible. I.e., have the controller control as much of the macro-actions (tuner, looper, presets, snapshots) and the HX itself control the micro-actions (blocks on/off). But even with a flexible unit such as the Morningstar, it seems there's limitations to that specifically...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I come across this issue as a problem for other MIDI controller devices. 

 

I own an ActitioN MIDI controller which has fixed MIDI CC for each stomp. So i'd really like for my HELIX ( and soon Stomp )  to be able to have some of its fixed reserved CC 

made customisable. Special things like Snapshots and effect bypass  assignments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep... Even with a more dynamic controller, it seems we can't send the reserced CCs. I'm confused as to why... Maybe it's a MIDI limitation but then, can't another CC be allocated for external MIDI commands to the same control?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pott24 said:

I'm still a little confused about the Reserved Midi CC sections (p49 in https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf).

 

Does it mean I cannot configure an external Midi controller (got a Morningstar MC6 on order) to, for example, always have the Looper controls on bank 1?

Or, for that matter, to change Play modes (Stomp/Snapshots)?

 

I am trying to decouple the Midi controller from Preset-specific messages as much as possible. I.e., have the controller control as much of the macro-actions (tuner, looper, presets, snapshots) and the HX itself control the micro-actions (blocks on/off). But even with a flexible unit such as the Morningstar, it seems there's limitations to that specifically...

 

 

No, the reserved CC messages on Page 49 are the messages you want to program into your controller and send to control those specific functions. To select snapshot #1, for instance, you always send CC69, value 0. That will be the same no matter what preset you have the Stomp set to. If you want to have a preset on the Morningstar be the looper controls, you could do that. From what I understand, the Morningstar lets you program the six switches in every preset with pretty much anything you want. The question really becomes how often you want to change presets on the Morningstar.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I been trying to control the Hx stomp with disasterarea design dpc , I'm able to change presets but can't turn on the turner 

via or bypass the HX stomp . anyone here have an idea ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phil_m said:

 

No, the reserved CC messages on Page 49 are the messages you want to program into your controller and send to control those specific functions. To select snapshot #1, for instance, you always send CC69, value 0. That will be the same no matter what preset you have the Stomp set to. If you want to have a preset on the Morningstar be the looper controls, you could do that. From what I understand, the Morningstar lets you program the six switches in every preset with pretty much anything you want. The question really becomes how often you want to change presets on the Morningstar.

 

Thanks for clarifying! I think I applied the word 'learn' to something less specific than it really is.

 

I thought it meant that an external controller couldn't use these controls at all.

Re-reading the instructions and applying your clarifications, 'learn' here refers to attempting to assign a preset MIDI stomp through the Bypass assignment setup.

 

That's fantastic news! In particular, the ability to both assign Snapshot up/down AND 4 presets per bank on the Morningstar frees-up using the HX for stomps, in Stomp-mode, and brings a TON of flexibility (using multiple banks of presets instead of banking up/down using the HX).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tsachou said:

I been trying to control the Hx stomp with disasterarea design dpc , I'm able to change presets but can't turn on the turner 

via or bypass the HX stomp . anyone here have an idea ?

 

See https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf for the relevant tuner and bypass commands. Not sure of the disaster area can send fully-customized Midi PC/CC as the Morningstar can though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tsachou said:

I been trying to control the Hx stomp with disasterarea design dpc , I'm able to change presets but can't turn on the turner 

via or bypass the HX stomp . anyone here have an idea ?

 

The thing about the Disaster Area Design products is that they're built around the idea that there are different pre-made templates for different products. Some of them have modes that allow you to program the switches with certain CCs or PCs, but the DPC doesn't allow that as far as I can tell. There is a Line 6 M13/M9/M5 mode, but, unfortunately, the Stomp uses different CCs for functions than the M-series. I expect DAD will update the firmware with templates for the Stomp soon, but right now, I don't think there's much you can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could I use a Tech 21 Midi Mongoose to call up presets and then use the 3 HX Stomp buttons to turn effects on/off???

 

Example: Button 1 on my midi controller pulls up my favorite CLEAN patch/preset and Button 1 on the HX Stomp turns on/off the effect of my choice... same for the other HX Stomp buttons.

 

 Am I on the right track here???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you could do that. And you should get together with this guy:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm setting up a controller for my stomp using TouchOSC and the Yamaha MD-BT01 via my iPhone.

 

So far all good.... got the FS-1 to FS-5 switches all working and tap tempo, tuner, and bypass buttons...... but what I REALLY want, is to be able to control the global EQ via sliders etc....

Is that something we can do? That way I can set the EQ from iPhone, while playing a loop, listening from the back of the room.

 

Are there some mystic midi messages we can use?  

 

stomp_controller.thumb.jpg.8d549b2bf5bbc1e6e0590d003a2366bc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am planning on setting up my iphone/ipad with touchosc as well. I have just started researching this and haven't even downloaded the app yet. my yamaha wireless midid is on its way. i would love to get your (Moose) template if possible....id like to have tuner and tap on my ipad and then, i think,  just a simple list of my named presets on the screen so i can change to the presets i have set up for specific songs or choose a general rig if i don't have something programmed for a song in my set list. Also, can midi commands from the touchosc determine the state that a preset shows up in? There are some presets i'd like to load in stomp mode and some i'd like to load in snapshot shot when they come up on the stomp. Thanks.......M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of you guys tried using the midi mouse by tech 21 to try to change preset on the HX stomp its my first time using midi any help would be greatly appreciated

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 5:43 AM, forasong said:

I am planning on setting up my iphone/ipad with touchosc as well. I have just started researching this and haven't even downloaded the app yet. my yamaha wireless midid is on its way. i would love to get your (Moose) template if possible....id like to have tuner and tap on my ipad and then, i think,  just a simple list of my named presets on the screen so i can change to the presets i have set up for specific songs or choose a general rig if i don't have something programmed for a song in my set list. Also, can midi commands from the touchosc determine the state that a preset shows up in? There are some presets i'd like to load in stomp mode and some i'd like to load in snapshot shot when they come up on the stomp. Thanks.......M

 

hi forasong, I don't have it on this computer but I did post it to the Helix Stomp facebook group (which, if you are not a member, you should join).

you'll find the .touchosc file in the "files" section. There are a couple from me (the newest is the best), as well as files from other users.

 

Hope it helps

 

Moose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 6:17 AM, reyesfearofnone said:

Have any of you guys tried using the midi mouse by tech 21 to try to change preset on the HX stomp its my first time using midi any help would be greatly appreciated

 

 

Nothing to actually do. Plug it in, and that's exactly what the Midi Mouse does, and nothing else. Just preset scroll up/down, and you can use Active/Search modes.

 

The midi mouse doesn't do anything else, doesn't require any setups, has no available configuration to change. You do not need to know Midi either.

Just make sure its midi send Channel is set to your HX Stomp's (1 on both units by default).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 4:49 PM, MooseTaylor said:

I'm setting up a controller for my stomp using TouchOSC and the Yamaha MD-BT01 via my iPhone.

 

So far all good.... got the FS-1 to FS-5 switches all working and tap tempo, tuner, and bypass buttons...... but what I REALLY want, is to be able to control the global EQ via sliders etc....

Is that something we can do? That way I can set the EQ from iPhone, while playing a loop, listening from the back of the room.

 

Are there some mystic midi messages we can use?  

 

stomp_controller.thumb.jpg.8d549b2bf5bbc1e6e0590d003a2366bc.jpg

Please Mr. MooseTaylor, Can you explain the control setting for the tuner control?  For the life of me I cannot get TouchOSC to toggle the Stomp Tuner On and stay on and then toggle it back off again.  Any help is much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...