Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

before buying Helix Native, will you release soon a new helix?

macello

Hello everyone, i'm a happy owner of a Helix Rack and I would need to have also the Native version, but not fundamental in the short term.
Before proceeding i wanted to know whether it is in your intention to release a new Helix towards Christmas or soon after, because otherwise i wait and do the "big shop" directly on the new product.

Sorry for my bad english, thank you.

• Haha 1

Line 6 used to have a promotion for Native on top of the price for registered Helix owners. I got mine for £50 ish I think.

I didn't need it, but jumped on the offer, and actually, now it a very useful tool for me.

If your rack is registered, you already have a big discount. Check the shop for further promotions. maybe around black friday they may do an extra big discount... ??

cheers

53 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

At The Gear Page - helix thread... It was stated that the firmware coming this week will be main for the core software, updates that allow longer support for Helix instead of releasing a Helix succesor.

And this is one of the reasons why I'm happy I ditched Boss in favour of Line 6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macello said:

they always say that, but i'm always screwed

If you bought Native today and they came out with Helix 2 in January, you would be so far from "screwed" because Helix sounds and operates amazingly well. 

For that matter, guys who still rock HD 500 or even buy one new are not screwed, because IT ALSO still sounds amazing.

But I'll say this. Helix development was a major investment. We have only JUST in the past few days seen the 5th hardware iteration of HX modeling.

It's been a little over 3 years. That's all.

It's not going away.

I bet that whatever comes next doesn't arrive for at least another 3 years, probably longer.

33 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

I bet that whatever comes next doesn't arrive for at least another 3 years, probably longer.

Agreed... our "latest and greatest", planned obsolescence tech-economy has conditioned us all to believe that if we don't get the newest toy yesterday, then we're "missing out" (thanks Apple...;) ), hence the constant barrage of "Where's the next update?!?!?!?!?!?!" threads. But without some quantum leap in modeling algorithms/methods/UI/etc, then what's the point in rolling out a new device every couple of years? If you have money to burn, then God bless... spend it, cause you can't take it with you... but I don't, lol. If "Helix II" were to be announced tomorrow, I'm not getting in line to replace the core of my rig for what would be only minor, incremental improvements. Hell, I waited 2 years into Helix's life cycle to replace my 500X...

4 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

If you bought Native today and they came out with Helix 2 in January, you would be so far from "screwed" because Helix sounds and operates amazingly well. 

For that matter, guys who still rock HD 500 or even buy one new are not screwed, because IT ALSO still sounds amazing.

But I'll say this. Helix development was a major investment. We have only JUST in the past few days seen the 5th hardware iteration of HX modeling.

It's been a little over 3 years. That's all.

It's not going away.

It was a joke, i did not mean to offend, but I thank you for the accurate answer. 

I will definitely buy it, I bought the Helix rack at the launch, and i tried other products that made me always glad of my Helix choice.

1 hour ago, macello said:

they always say that, but i'm always screwed

See my post above... because the ugly truth is this:

At the speed at which technology is currently evolving, it is a virtual certainty that the "next big thing" is gonna come along before you have anything that even vaguely approaches a genuine "need" for it. And unless you're filthy rich, probably long before you're prepared to spend money on it... whether you need it, or not. 

If I were to obsess over this fact, then I'd end up going to my grave, still playing through the crappy Peavy Bandit combo I had when I was 15...;)

1 hour ago, wilkinsi said:

And this is one of the reasons why I'm happy I ditched Boss in favour of Line 6.

Yea it really makes me happy that I chose Helix over the competition.  Knowing that the Helix hardware that all of us own still has a good bit of growing to do, and updates to them over the next few years to flesh all this out really makes me smile.  (Native gets them as well)

Native in itself is one reason why I will stay with Helix. I use it a lot, and for us mixing engineers, or even recording guitarists, it is a fantastic expansion to the Helix lineup. I read there is a Fractal Axe FX VST, but they won't release it, and its been that way for years. 

16 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

I read there is a Fractal Axe FX VST, but they won't release it, and its been that way for years. 

Hmmm... wonder why they'd sit on it? Selling 1's and 0's is the best margin on earth... there's no "thing" to build.  After you recoup the initial development costs and the advertising, it's essentially pure profit. Unless there's some fundamental flaw that they can't get rid of, but that would seem unlikely. Weird...

15 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Hmmm... wonder why they'd sit on it? Selling 1's and 0's is the best margin on earth... there's no "thing" to build.  After you recoup the initial development costs and the advertising, it's essentially pure profit. Unless there's some fundamental flaw that they can't get rid of, but that would seem unlikely. Weird...

I wonder this as well.

I also read that they won't release it due to fear of piracy.

However, this could all be nonsense.  But I would think that if they have the AXE FX II/III, its basically hardware running software - software that (in theory) should be able to run on PC/Mac. Much in the same way as Helix. 

They do have the FAS FX reverb plugin, but the regular download price of it is half of Helix Native, and all you get are the reverbs.  Its tempting when they have the price on sale, but I have enough reverb plugins I don't really need it. Plus the HX reverbs are quite nice, and if they just add a few more flavors of those, then there is even less of a reason to get FAS FX reverb. Sorry I am starting to ramble.

13 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

I wonder this as well.

I also read that they won't release it due to fear of piracy.

Lol... one would hope that they'd have a better reason than that. Everything gets pirated... unless we want to roll back the clock to 1882, software piracy will be with us forever. 

Yep, piracy is here to stay...

In any case, I was set straight on suggesting (rather being ornery & factitious) that a Helix-2 was coming this holiday season, by D.I. , so if anyone would know, I'm thinking it would be him.

It's wise to wait to buy audio software and plug-ins until Black Friday and holidays. Almost every vendor has deep discounts during that time. I have my shopping list ready!

Agreed.

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Lol... one would hope that they'd have a better reason than that. Everything gets pirated... unless we want to roll back the clock to 1882, software piracy will be with us forever. 

Piracy is a greater risk when something isn't readily available on the commercial market.  Line 6 has done a great job to make Helix modeling available pretty much everywhere.  I don't think I've ever seen a Fractal product right in front of my face.  It's always been something I can buy online or listen to someone play, but it's not nearly accessible and therefore ripe for piracy IMO. 

I also wonder what risk there is to intellectual property when a software based version to modeling software is released. 

My predictions are if they did come out with a Helix 2 sometime soon the only way it would probably screw you over is if you needed more DSP. The helix  software is going to be here for awhile. DI said recently that the 6 effect limitation to HX Stomp would make sense in a year after he said something about polyphonic effects taking a lot of DSP and new Amp models might take more DSP. That makes me think that if they did a revision it with be the same HX software but on a "Helix Pro" or something that has a 50-100% more available DSP and maybe the way they have been using the expression and footswitch jacks on HX FX and Stomp so that you can use all of those jack for anything you can think of.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:45 AM, olivierJez said:

Line 6 used to have a promotion for Native on top of the price for registered Helix owners. I got mine for £50 ish I think.

I didn't need it, but jumped on the offer, and actually, now it a very useful tool for me.

If your rack is registered, you already have a big discount. Check the shop for further promotions. maybe around black friday they may do an extra big discount... ??

cheers

I'm gutted I missed the $99 offer on Native for LT customers :(
Wish I had bought it