Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Two amps / One Helix

djpgreek

I have the Helix Floor. I want to use with two amps. I have several questions. I'll keep them short and clear, so I don't confuse anyone.

Gear used: Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee combo amp, Boss Katana 50 amp. The Helix's effects will be shared between the two amps.

No effects Loops scenario....

1. Do I simply take a quarter inch out and go into the dirty amp and then the other quarter inch into the clean amp? How do I set up the path / output settings to go dual mono since I'll only be using one amp at a time? Or is it just going to run that way?

2. How do I set up / use Helix to switch between one clean amp and one dirty amp (I guess like AB box) but still use the effects in patches with each amp? Again, I'd use marshall for dirt / overdrive  and Boss for cleans 

Using effects loops....

1. I assume I need to use the 8 cable method to be able to put the Helix in the effects loops of both amps. How could this be done? 

2. Since I probably won't use Boss amp for distortion, can I use the Effects loop of Marshall only, still use both amps....and have helix to control them and presets?

Thanks

I haven't done this, so maybe someone else can chime in, but I believe for dual mono you need to have two paths, one panned hard left and one panned hard right. The outputs on the Helix works as left and right, so if you pan it that way, you've basically converted it to dual mono. Alternatively, you can set something to output only from the 1/4" jacks and something else to only output from the XLR jacks. Then you have dual stereo outputs.

I have no experience with using real amps and 8 cable methods and the like, so can't help you there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar question in another thread here....but wondering if anyone else could chime in on this one for help.

I see how to route 4CM and 7CM.. to use with two amps...but again, I'm not looking to do a stereo amp set up. I want to use one amp for my cleans and one for the dirty tones and have both of those shared by helix.

Is there a way for me to run helix by which I can use 4CM for dirty amp and then go from dirty amp to clean amp (which may not have effects loop). Basically I'd be going straight into the clean amp since I don't need an FX loop with it. 

20 minutes ago, djpgreek said:

I have similar question in another thread here....but wondering if anyone else could chime in on this one for help.

I see how to route 4CM and 7CM.. to use with two amps...but again, I'm not looking to do a stereo amp set up. I want to use one amp for my cleans and one for the dirty tones and have both of those shared by helix.

Is there a way for me to run helix by which I can use 4CM for dirty amp and then go from dirty amp to clean amp (which may not have effects loop). Basically I'd be going straight into the clean amp since I don't need an FX loop with it. 

20 minutes ago, djpgreek said:

Well, I think I understand what you're asking, and PeterHamm pretty much answered it above. To be clear, I don't have a Helix, but based on my understanding of the product, as well as my experience with the older and far less versatile (but still a very beloved and versatile workhorse) Pod HD 500X, this really isn't a big deal, and yes you can.

Off the top of my head you'd basically split the signal into two paths. One path would be your "dirty" path with whatever effects you wanted and then going out one of the Helix sends to your dirty amp. The second path would have no effects and go out another Helix send to your clean amp. Your guitar signal goes into the Helix. Then you could use the Helix to switch between these A and B paths.

I mean, a bigger Helix expert can clock me off I'm off here, but it should be a cake walk.

I want to use the same effects on both amps. Not necessarily using some effects on one path versus the other. So for example...

I have a chorus. I want to use that chorus on clean sounds.....but then have them still on when I switch to dirty amp.

To my other question....without using separate paths...... how should I set up the two amps (but one has an effects loop and the other does not). 

The application there.....having a delay and verb on the cleans....but when I engage the dirty amp...I want the delay and the verb to be after amps preamp. This would require me putting the amps preamp in a Helix loop via 4CM..... but how would I then connect to the second amp from helix or dirty amp? 

Lastly, how do I toggle between the two amps. What would I have to set up to go between the two channels?

42 minutes ago, djpgreek said:

I want to use the same effects on both amps. Not necessarily using some effects on one path versus the other. So for example...

I have a chorus. I want to use that chorus on clean sounds.....but then have them still on when I switch to dirty amp.

To my other question....without using separate paths...... how should I set up the two amps (but one has an effects loop and the other does not). 

The application there.....having a delay and verb on the cleans....but when I engage the dirty amp...I want the delay and the verb to be after amps preamp. This would require me putting the amps preamp in a Helix loop via 4CM..... but how would I then connect to the second amp from helix or dirty amp? 

Lastly, how do I toggle between the two amps. What would I have to set up to go between the two channels?

Well, this gets more and more complex. Let me help with what I CAN answer. Others can weigh in on the rest.

Question 1: Okay, I don't know if there is a simpler way to have the SAME chorus on for both amps, but in my opinion, after splitting the chain the easiest way is to simply duplicate the exact same chorus with the exact same settings on the second path. That way when you switch between paths you have the same sounding chorus and that chorus could be wherever you want it to be in either path. Helix makes it easy to duplicate a block (and I know because the HX Stomp does that too).

Question 2: Why are you opposed to splitting the paths?  Does that impact you negatively somehow?  To me that's your best and simplest option. That way you're handling your complexity with one or two buttons instead of like . . . 5 or something.

If you split the paths you just need simple stomp boxes to select the path you hear. It seems to solve everything you're trying to do quite easily. See the youtube video below for more information:

That's helpful and makes sense. I'm not using modeling but just the effects from the Helix...and two amps. I want to do what this guy doing with pre / post effects with one of the amp... I guess I need to do 4CM, but how would I route that using the two outputs of helix? I definitely would need to incorporate one of the helix FX loops. That's what's confusing me I guess. I could split up the paths like in video...one could go to clean amp....it's the output of the other that I would need to figure out where to assign.

1 minute ago, djpgreek said:

That's helpful and makes sense. I'm not using modeling but just the effects from the Helix...and two amps. I want to do what this guy doing with pre / post effects with one of the amp... I guess I need to do 4CM, but how would I route that using the two outputs of helix? I definitely would need to incorporate one of the helix FX loops. That's what's confusing me I guess. I could split up the paths like in video...one could go to clean amp....it's the output of the other that I would need to figure out where to assign.

So I take it rather than have the coloring of a Helix amp model you would rather all of the amp sounds come from your own amps?  That's entirely possible, if a little more complicated.  You're going to have to really love using cords going back and forth. However, assuming you are using the full Helix model you should still have enough send/return options to make it work. It's important to remember that in addition to specifying at the ends and beginning of signal chains their inputs and outputs, you can also insert send/return blocks within chains that utilize the 4 send/return loops available on the full Helix.  I think these are what you'll have to experiment with to get it to sound how you want.

• 3 years later...

Hey there, did you ever get this to work with 2 amps? I am looking at doing a very similar thing as the Helix is just so versatile and it is a ton easier/cheaper than building another separate board and splitting the signal path.... 

If you did, did you have any problems with ground hum? Or, any other tips/advice you would give on using this approach?

Thanks in advance!

Chris