Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix products: v2.70 now released

silverhead

THe HX Edit release description does not mention HX Stomp but it is supported as indicated during the installation process. Fixed

As usual, start by backing up your current stuff using the current HX Edit. Then  download and install the v2.70 HX Edit package. The run the new Line 6 Updater to update your Helix device.

As long as the update actually does lengthen the lifespan of the current Helix Lineup then I am cool with the under the hood fixes, and the tuner being the only actual additions. I just hope the next update gives us some goodies.

The marketplace idea seems cool, but I am not sure how much I would actually utilize it.

Spikey, how much sharpie have you used?

I doubt if I would use the Marketplace feature...  I would rather see MIDI INFORMATION displayed on the main screen.  Handy when you build set lists and need to assign MIDI program changes for each preset/song.  Still, I hope the tuner will do e better job than the previous one. 

LOTS of fixes for the HX Effects unit. For those of us having mysterious unit freezes, there are two mentions of "freeze fixes" (hope thats the last of 'em):

◦    HX Effects only—Clearing or cutting a block on Path B from HX Edit could sometimes HX Effects to freeze when in stomp footswitch mode — FIXED
    ◦    HX Effects only—Switching from a preset with a Split > Crossover block to a preset with a Split > A/B block could sometimes cause HX Effects to freeze — FIXED

• Like 1

Can't wait to test the TUNAAHH! Would have changed my name to >< if i had to, Prince-style. Thankfully Sharpies are hard to come by over here!

The patch notes mentioned fixing the low end up to 20~Hz, but no mention of the high end, which was wonky on my unit. Hope it's fixed!

3 hours ago, wilkinsi said:

I really like the new tuner. No more erratic flapping around. The strobe is confusing to me though.

Yea the "strobe" blocks should narrow down as you get closer to being in tune. I'd rather have that then the arrows.

But at least it's better than what we had by a M I L E. 

2 hours ago, grom68 said:

Do I need to backup also the Factory Presets or just my presets?

The situation with factory presets and Helix firmware updates can be confusing. Every firmware update potentially (not necessarily) includes new or modified factory presets. However, the firmware update process leaves all existing presets, including factory presets, unchanged. Hence, if the update goes smoothly you actually don't need to back anything up before updating - but it's a good precaution. So the normal update process leaves you without any new or modified factory presets that are present in the new firmware.

If you want the new or modified factory presets you need to back up your non -factory setlists and IRs either before or after updating the firmware (they will be the same in either case). Then at some point after installing the update you need to perform a factory reset on the device, which installs the new factory presets and wipes out all non-factory presetfs and IRs. Then reload your saved custom setlists and IRs individually.

Oh hell yes to the new tuner versions! Just fantastic that a strobe tuner was added. Both the "Coarse" and "Strobe" modes are easier and faster to to use for stage tuning than the old tuner. I know it's probably too soon to comment but if I were going to improve them in the next firmware (other than adding a polyphonic mode) I would have the yellow not fade to green so far from the center tuning position.  Better yet, don't fade to green at all, but instead just switch from yellow to green such that you had to be closer in tune before the bar went green. This applies to both the Coarse and Fine settings. Is that chartreuse or goldenrod yellow,  mustard yellow or lime green? Oh, it's emerald green, I must be in tune. Might just be me but I prefer a distinct color switch to green when the guitar is in tune rather than gradually sliding from yellow to green. The color gradients moving between these two colors represent some slick programming but can be hard to differentiate on the fly or when you are playing outdoors and getting some sun on the screen.  You do of course have the center position to go by so that observation might sound a bit nit-picky.

I agree with Spikey's comments on the strobe, it is a bit different looking than others I have used and the graphics could probably be enhanced on it but at the end of the day - THEY ADDED A STROBE TUNER, JUST AWESOME!  It seems to work very well.  Always room for improvement but the new tuner versions are in now and super useful. I think the additional tuner options will prove themselves eminently stage-worthy for those of us who found it too jittery in the past. Overall this will rank as one of my favorite updates due to the improved tuner(s). Can't overstate how much I prefer this update to a couple of new amp models. Looking forward to the next major version firmware release. Bring on the funk! Great job Line6, this device just keeps getting better and better, thanks!

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, requietus666 said:

how can an update (and it's free for chrissakes) be disappointing ?

I don’t really know how that would work, although I’d be willing to bet that it would have more to do with the disappointed person’s expectations of the free update than with the actual content of said update. Personally I think the entertainment value of the release notes alone was worth the price of admission!

It will be a couple of weeks before I can update, but I am looking forward to the tuner upgrade and options. Marketplace is probably not for me, but I expect it will be great for some and will doubtless be good for the platform in general. 

Thanks Line 6!

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2018 at 12:54 PM, grom68 said:

Do I need to backup also the Factory Presets or just my presets?

No. Besides, use "create backup" in HX Edit to save EVERYTHING. Its a LOT quicker than exporting presets.

Now, can we have 2.80? Because I'm a spoilt brat who wants more metal amps/cabs and eerie effects! 

On 10/17/2018 at 12:47 PM, spaceatl said:

The notes are hilarious....How many of you are putting an X on your forehead? LOL!

I couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes when I read that.  And, props to the devs, the new tuners are a big improvement.

The “Known Issues” section cracks me up.  I’m glad to see that the developers have a sense on humor, rather than being a bunch of serious corporate stuffed shirts.  I haven’t done the upgrade yet, but I have faith that the new tuner is an improvement.  I’m guessing that our next excuse to draw an “X” on our forehead will be because we’ve bitched about needing a polyphonic drop-tune.  

I would support paying for new amp models through the marketplace.  That seems like an appropriate review stream / business model for Line 6 with free software updates.  From someone in the IT industry, I think that's a good idea.  Plus that would drive modeling development priority based on what we want as customers.