Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix products: v2.70 now released

silverhead

Well, this is a surprise. Having been previously told by Line 6 Support Helix ahould not be connected to a USB hub (I kept getting "no device connected"), I just tried it with a mains -powered USB hub, and the SOB works! Pah! So, with 2.70 supporting two devices and Helix Rack already connected, and running HX Edit, I connect my Helix Floor to the same hub, and a second window of HX Edit pops up. Woohoo! I just tried copying a delay block from one Helix to the other, and it works too. So, as long as the USB hub is powered, it should work. I can run my USB hub without its PSU, but this is where the Helix will NOT like it. Just a heads up for those who don't have enough USB ports for their computer and multiple Helix/HX units.

3 hours ago, wilkinsi said:

Well, this is a surprise. Having been previously told by Line 6 Support Helix ahould not be connected to a USB hub (I kept getting "no device connected"), I just tried it with a mains -powered USB hub, and the SOB works! Pah! So, with 2.70 supporting two devices and Helix Rack already connected, and running HX Edit, I connect my Helix Floor to the same hub, and a second window of HX Edit pops up. Woohoo! I just tried copying a delay block from one Helix to the other, and it works too. So, as long as the USB hub is powered, it should work. I can run my USB hub without its PSU, but this is where the Helix will NOT like it. Just a heads up for those who don't have enough USB ports for their computer and multiple Helix/HX units.

Connecting to a hub while using edit or streaming audio is probably less problematic than trying to do the update through a hub... In theory, hubs shouldn’t be a problem, but historically, they seem to cause a lot of problems. If yours is working, that’s great.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:47 PM, spaceatl said:

The notes are hilarious....How many of you are putting an X on your forehead? LOL!

On 10/19/2018 at 1:54 PM, PiFromBRC said:

I couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes when I read that.  And, props to the devs, the new tuners are a big improvement.

Known Issues:

• Loading a Distortion > Kinky Boost block can sometimes result in an audible thump

That cracked me up! I don't think that's a reference to an actual audio artifact. Lol :-)

12 hours ago, bsd512 said:

Known Issues:

• Loading a Distortion > Kinky Boost block can sometimes result in an audible thump

That cracked me up! I don't think that's a reference to an actual audio artifact. Lol :-)

It is isnt' it.  I mean if it was wordplay it would be "result in an audible hump."

I think I have read some users having a slight pop/thump when loading a blockl, could very well have been the kinky Boost.

11 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

It is isnt' it.  I mean if it was wordplay it would be "result in an audible hump."

I think I have read some users having a slight pop/thump when loading a blockl, could very well have been the kinky Boost.

I like my interpretation better. :-)

On 10/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, phil_m said:

Connecting to a hub while using edit or streaming audio is probably less problematic than trying to do the update through a hub... In theory, hubs shouldn’t be a problem, but historically, they seem to cause a lot of problems. If yours is working, that’s great.

I just found an old 5-way USB hub (definitely not USB 3.0) and connected both Helix units to that. Sure enough, still working. So, just for kicks, I ran both Helix units and a 1TB SSD (playing movies) through the old hub; my Roland FA06 synth, iLok and Apple Keyboard + mouse through the USB 3.0 hub. For now, everything except the FA06 (now direct into the Macbook) is going through this USB 2.0 hub.

Hi, peeps! I haven't posted here in a long time, though I have been lurking.

So I must have something to say, right? Well, I never updated to firmware 2.60; just wasn't interested enough in what it had to offer. But when I heard about the new tuners in 2.70, I had to do it... and it was totally worthwhile! Prior to this, I was using one of those clip-on tuners, just because I had to be able to tune quickly at gigs and couldn't with the existing Helix tuner. Now I can ditch that tiny piece of gear; hooray!

I also have to voice my appreciation of how much easier upgrading the Helix has become. The very first time I upgraded, I lost a bunch of my user presets and though I haven't had any problems with the procedure since, I still have had PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) over upgrading ever since. I was still nervous about installing v.2.70, but now I think I'm cured! Didn't have to backup anything and everything was all there, even the third party IRs!

One more thing: I thoroughly enjoyed the notes about the new tuners in this firmware. It was like Line 6 days of yore when George Von Wagner wrote hilarious user manuals that I would reread after I had learned everything I needed to about the product just for some laughs.

So, THANK YOU yet again, Line 6!

• Upvote 1

Just updated last night and really like the choices for the tuner.  I moved through the three selections watching for some noticeable variance that would have me choose one over the others.  That did not happen.  All three are usable, in my opinion - YMMV.  The strobe is rather cool!!

A couple of my patches sound better to my ears and I will be creating some new ones this evening.

Thank you Line 6

Dennis

On 10/17/2018 at 4:50 PM, dattrax said:

It might be my ears, but I use pitch shift for Eb tuning and it sounds better than 2.60.

(Sits up!) Huh! Now that's a good idea! Our cover band tunes to Eb to give our voices some room, but it's a pain to tune back up to jam with other music.. hmmm 

Just can't say enough about the tuner now. 
It is finally not only "useable" in a live band...but preferable! No more having to use other tuners. I've had my Helix since Oct. of 2015 and I can FINALLY use the awesome display for tuning on the Helix! 
Thank you Line 6 for finally getting this right! Awesome job!