Jump to content
silverhead

Helix products: v2.70 now released

Recommended Posts

Well, this is a surprise. Having been previously told by Line 6 Support Helix ahould not be connected to a USB hub (I kept getting "no device connected"), I just tried it with a mains -powered USB hub, and the SOB works! Pah! So, with 2.70 supporting two devices and Helix Rack already connected, and running HX Edit, I connect my Helix Floor to the same hub, and a second window of HX Edit pops up. Woohoo! I just tried copying a delay block from one Helix to the other, and it works too. So, as long as the USB hub is powered, it should work. I can run my USB hub without its PSU, but this is where the Helix will NOT like it. Just a heads up for those who don't have enough USB ports for their computer and multiple Helix/HX units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Tuner modes... I just purchased a really expensive Peterson strobe tuner... :-( . :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, totgate said:

New Tuner modes... I just purchased a really expensive Peterson strobe tuner... :-( . :-D

Oh My Goodness!! Everything else suddenly stopped working. You should contact Line 6 Support immediately! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wilkinsi said:

Well, this is a surprise. Having been previously told by Line 6 Support Helix ahould not be connected to a USB hub (I kept getting "no device connected"), I just tried it with a mains -powered USB hub, and the SOB works! Pah! So, with 2.70 supporting two devices and Helix Rack already connected, and running HX Edit, I connect my Helix Floor to the same hub, and a second window of HX Edit pops up. Woohoo! I just tried copying a delay block from one Helix to the other, and it works too. So, as long as the USB hub is powered, it should work. I can run my USB hub without its PSU, but this is where the Helix will NOT like it. Just a heads up for those who don't have enough USB ports for their computer and multiple Helix/HX units.

 

Connecting to a hub while using edit or streaming audio is probably less problematic than trying to do the update through a hub... In theory, hubs shouldn’t be a problem, but historically, they seem to cause a lot of problems. If yours is working, that’s great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/17/2018 at 3:47 PM, spaceatl said:

The notes are hilarious....How many of you are putting an X on your forehead? LOL!

 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:54 PM, PiFromBRC said:


I couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes when I read that.  And, props to the devs, the new tuners are a big improvement.

 

Known Issues:

  • Loading a Distortion > Kinky Boost block can sometimes result in an audible thump

 

That cracked me up! I don't think that's a reference to an actual audio artifact. Lol :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bsd512 said:

 

 

 

Known Issues:

  • Loading a Distortion > Kinky Boost block can sometimes result in an audible thump

 

That cracked me up! I don't think that's a reference to an actual audio artifact. Lol :-)

 

It is isnt' it.  I mean if it was wordplay it would be "result in an audible hump."

 

I think I have read some users having a slight pop/thump when loading a blockl, could very well have been the kinky Boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

It is isnt' it.  I mean if it was wordplay it would be "result in an audible hump."

 

I think I have read some users having a slight pop/thump when loading a blockl, could very well have been the kinky Boost.

I like my interpretation better. :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, phil_m said:

 

Connecting to a hub while using edit or streaming audio is probably less problematic than trying to do the update through a hub... In theory, hubs shouldn’t be a problem, but historically, they seem to cause a lot of problems. If yours is working, that’s great.

 

I just found an old 5-way USB hub (definitely not USB 3.0) and connected both Helix units to that. Sure enough, still working. So, just for kicks, I ran both Helix units and a 1TB SSD (playing movies) through the old hub; my Roland FA06 synth, iLok and Apple Keyboard + mouse through the USB 3.0 hub. For now, everything except the FA06 (now direct into the Macbook) is going through this USB 2.0 hub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jbuhajla said:

I LOVE the new strobe tuner!

 

WAIT!!!!,  Are you saying we are supposed to be tuning our instruments? ;-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, peeps! I haven't posted here in a long time, though I have been lurking.

 

So I must have something to say, right? Well, I never updated to firmware 2.60; just wasn't interested enough in what it had to offer. But when I heard about the new tuners in 2.70, I had to do it... and it was totally worthwhile! Prior to this, I was using one of those clip-on tuners, just because I had to be able to tune quickly at gigs and couldn't with the existing Helix tuner. Now I can ditch that tiny piece of gear; hooray!

 

I also have to voice my appreciation of how much easier upgrading the Helix has become. The very first time I upgraded, I lost a bunch of my user presets and though I haven't had any problems with the procedure since, I still have had PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) over upgrading ever since. I was still nervous about installing v.2.70, but now I think I'm cured! Didn't have to backup anything and everything was all there, even the third party IRs!

 

One more thing: I thoroughly enjoyed the notes about the new tuners in this firmware. It was like Line 6 days of yore when George Von Wagner wrote hilarious user manuals that I would reread after I had learned everything I needed to about the product just for some laughs.

 

So, THANK YOU yet again, Line 6!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just updated last night and really like the choices for the tuner.  I moved through the three selections watching for some noticeable variance that would have me choose one over the others.  That did not happen.  All three are usable, in my opinion - YMMV.  The strobe is rather cool!!

 

A couple of my patches sound better to my ears and I will be creating some new ones this evening.

 

Thank you Line 6

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...the Course tuner is great for playing out live when you have to tune FAST and close enough is good enough!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2018 at 4:50 PM, dattrax said:

It might be my ears, but I use pitch shift for Eb tuning and it sounds better than 2.60.

(Sits up!) Huh! Now that's a good idea! Our cover band tunes to Eb to give our voices some room, but it's a pain to tune back up to jam with other music.. hmmm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just can't say enough about the tuner now. 
It is finally not only "useable" in a live band...but preferable! No more having to use other tuners. I've had my Helix since Oct. of 2015 and I can FINALLY use the awesome display for tuning on the Helix! 
Thank you Line 6 for finally getting this right! Awesome job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×