Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix through IEM's

Euanh91

So on most gigs I've done in the past year or so I've been using the Helix 1/4" out into an Alto TS215 for my on stage sound, then the XLR out into the FOH.

The basic patch I've been using (US Double for cleans/Cali Texas for dirty, both into Ownhammer IR's) sounds amazing through the Alto, and the FOH from what I've heard, but I've started doing some gigs where I'm having to use In Ears for all my monitoring, and my tones sound awful! They sound really small and fake and cheap, don't have anywhere near the clarity and responsiveness as they do from my Alto.

I realise this could just be something that sort of comes with the IEM territory (tiny little earbuds VS 12/15" speaker), but do any of you have any tips on how to improve it? I'm an IEM newbie, so I've got no idea haha. I'm using some fairly decent Shure IEM's, they're not like iPhone earbuds or anything.

Thanks!

Personally when I was confronted with this situation instead of using IEM's I went to using my DT770 headphones rather than invest a ton of money in high end IEMs.  You may be able to get away with it, you may not.  The situation I was in allowed me the flexibility to do so.  They sounded perfect on stage as they do in the studio.

I set up all my tones on powered PA speaker at home as close to live volumes as possible. When I am satisfied I sound good at home on them, I make sure I sound great on the live PA at live volume levels. I then listen to my tones with IEMs through the Helix headphone jack. With my particular IEMs, my tones sound great, but with a little more bass response. I DO NOT modify my preset to make the IEMs sound good. Live, we are using IEM mixes going through Behringer P16 units. When I hear my tones in the mix with the rest of the band, the little extra bass response I was hearing when playing by myself does not come through on the mix. So I just leave it alone. At that point, I am satisfied with my IEM mix AND the house mix sounds great in context of the full band mix. 

Long story short, make sure you are using quality IEMs with proper fit. If they don't fit well, then what you are hearing at your ears will sound thin and horrible. 

You should setup your tones for you audience first, then for your own monitoring needs. That means tweak the tones for the PA you’re running into and the FRFR you might be using for a stage amp since your audience will hear that too, especially those close to the stage/band. For IEMs, its best to use your own monitor mix if the PA can support it. Most modern digital PAs do this easily. If you have any backline, either FRFR or 4CM, then your IEMs can take that into consideration and just fill in around the bleed to provide the missing high end. 

The primary purpose for IEMs should be first to protect your ears, then to help you play in context. This requires a challenging balance. If your digital PA supports it, use your phone to control your own monitor mix so that you don’t have to rely on the sound guy.