Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX STOMP and Midi Controllers....

Kirklandrock

Could I use a Tech 21 Midi Mongoose to call up presets and then use the 3 HX Stomp buttons to turn effects on/off???

Example: Button 1 on my midi controller pulls up my favorite CLEAN patch/preset and Button 1 on the HX Stomp turns on/off the effect of my choice... same for the other HX Stomp buttons.

Am I on the right track here???

To continue the topic, I have 2 questions:

1. When in snapshot mode, can I use external MIDI controller to switch between banks quickly and have the same amp/cab assigned but with completely different effects?

2. Does it make sense to use a 10 button MIDI controller with HX Stomp + Strymon BigSky? Are there any benefits of such combo?

1. Snapshot mode switches parameters and switch states from within a preset and set of blocks. So if you have the effects you want to turn on or off in the same preset, yeah you could use Snapshot commands to do that. Otherwise, you would use preset changes .... but Snapshots are better for changes within a song.

2. 10 buttons would make sense if you know what you'd use them for between those two devices during a gig. I always try to keep my floor real estate and complexity at a minimum, so the fewer buttons the better. But if you need 10 more, why not? BTW, the Helix reverbs do a fair job of replicating BigSky, so you may want to compare and see if you need both.

• Thanks 1

About the HXstomp and Midi Mongoose;

if I program #01 on the mongoose to access a clean PRESET on the HX and #02 on the mongoose to access a fuzz PRESET on the HX,

can i program #05, 06, 07, 08 on the mongoose to be looper controls (rec, half, rev, etc.) for the clean #01 and fuzz #02 sounds?

(will the HXstomp remember which sound I was last on - and loop that sound?)

thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm a Midi newbie so forgive me if this was kind of answered above.  Are there Midi commands to control the bypass function for individual effects?  I know that you can use a Midi controller with footswitches to control the state of the Helix footswitches. This will in turn control the state of whatever effects are assigned to the HELIX footswitches, but can you execute effect bypass via MIDI footswitches, effectively extending the number of footswitches available?  The Helix manual doesn't refer to this, but given that the HxEdit software mirrors all actions on the Helix floor, I would think that it is done via Midi and is doable.  Presumably there are Midi command sniffers that could help me figure this out if no one has already?

Thanks

On 12/7/2018 at 12:33 AM, christroiani1 said:

I'm a Midi newbie so forgive me if this was kind of answered above.  Are there Midi commands to control the bypass function for individual effects?  I know that you can use a Midi controller with footswitches to control the state of the Helix footswitches. This will in turn control the state of whatever effects are assigned to the HELIX footswitches, but can you execute effect bypass via MIDI footswitches, effectively extending the number of footswitches available?  The Helix manual doesn't refer to this, but given that the HxEdit software mirrors all actions on the Helix floor, I would think that it is done via Midi and is doable.  Presumably there are Midi command sniffers that could help me figure this out if no one has already?

Thanks

Yes, that's no problem at all. Rather than talk you through it, watch this, a practical example makes things a little easier to digest :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Be2wWeTEQ

On 9/12/2018 at 16:42, neilius said:

Sí, eso no es problema en absoluto. En lugar de hablar con usted sobre esto, mire esto, un ejemplo práctico hace que las cosas sean un poco más fáciles de digerir :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Be2wWeTEQ

Can I do the same (have the functions of activating individual pedals) but with the Behringer FCB1010 instead of the Morningstar?

• 4 weeks later...

What is the easiest midi controller to use if I want to use it to call up presets and then use the HX Stomp foot switches to turn individual blocks on and off in the selected preset. I'm new to midi controllers so bear with the newbie old guy. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hooverstupidbull said:

Hello, I wonder if using the Morningstar MC6 allow me to access to 6 more different presets adding to the already existing hx stomp 3 presets ?
For a total of 9 presets
tHANKS

Ummm.... I think I understand your question, but it's slightly confusing in that the Stomp can access ALL presets ... you just have to cycle through them. However, yes, you can use it for preset recall.

• 4 weeks later...

And How would this work???  Again, id want to use the Midi Controller to choose Presets (CLean/Dirty/Lead/CRAZY) and be able to use the 3 button on the HX Stomp (And possibly another external switch to turn on  OD, DLY, MOD or What ever.....per each preset....

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/product/rf4/

Or this

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/product/rf3/

Or this

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/918/118852/

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 9:15 PM, macnevine said:

I have 2 original Morningstar MC6's for sale hit me up if interested in making me a reasonable offer.  They are awesome midi pedals and very easy to program.

Do you still have these for sale?

Then I’m definitely interested in one of them...

-Chris Hayes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have a HX Stomp  bought a Midi Mongoose & only want to make the footswitches change patches, not internal parameters in the patches. I cant seem to get the HX Stomp to receive the command when I press 1-5 ect. It did it once then never again, is there any settings in the Midi/Tempo section of global that I should be changing. Thanks in advance....

- Make sure your MIDI channels are set the same (Stomp and Goose)

-  Make sure USB MIDI is turned on (Stomp) if using USB as your connection (but I think Goose is 5-pin DIN, anyway, so wouldn't matter)

- Make sure Stomp has PC Rx turned on

• 10 months later...

Can the morningstar mc6 switch snapshots instead of presets?
In other words could I have it set up so that the 6 buttons on the mc6 select the three snapshots of preset 1 on the lower 3 buttons and the 3 snapshots of preset 2 on the upper 3 buttons of the unit?
That way I have 6 sounds at my feet with the HX Stomp without having to do any "dancing" on the Stomp itself.

12 hours ago, robbieb61 said:

Can the morningstar mc6 switch snapshots instead of presets?
In other words could I have it set up so that the 6 buttons on the mc6 select the three snapshots of preset 1 on the lower 3 buttons and the 3 snapshots of preset 2 on the upper 3 buttons of the unit?
That way I have 6 sounds at my feet with the HX Stomp without having to do any "dancing" on the Stomp itself.

Yes, you can do this.  What I would probably do instead though, is set the bottom 3 buttons to snapshot a,b,c and two of the top buttons to preset up and preset down.  That's what I've done, except I use an external digitech fs3x 3 button footswitch dedicated to snap a/b/c plugged into one of the exp jacks on the mc6.

I've actually programmed the preset up/down within the mc6, so it will send a PC message to select a preset number, rather than the preset up command.  This way, I can set the range of presets to move through, and loop around earlier.  Also, it sends PC messages to the other pedals on my board to keep everything in sync.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks. I recently got my Stomp. I use Musicomlab as a switcher and midi controller. Now, is it possible to use a Stomp the follwoing way:  in 1st bank I switch between the 3 presets with Stomps footswitches, the rest of the presets (from 2A on...) I use midi controller...?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I tend to use snapshots within songs because there is a minor lag usually with changing presets globally. I forget where I had read about that originally but have experienced it myself. If you get clever with snapshots you can control many things, I even use 2 amps in certain HX Stomp patches and snapshots to switch between the amps unless I just want to change tones on the one amp, like old school channel switching on a single amp. 

I use the Morningstar MC6, prefer this unit it because of the flexibility and the LCD screen to tell me where I am at a glance when needed live. I use the bottom 3 typically for snapshot switching and the top 3 may vary depending on needs or external gear in the Midi chain, usually top left is to change HX Stomp screen views/modes. You can plug in 2 EXP pedals to the MC6 and leave the exp/fs4,5 jack open on the Stomp.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Another question:

Is there a way to connect HX stomp to my Macbook via MC3?

Morningstar MC3 occupies one MIDI/USB input in the HX stomp.
The second MIDI/USB in/out of the stomp is occupied by a Yamaha wireless midi transmitter.
Additionally I would need a third MIDI/USB in order to connect HX stomp to my Macbook to use HX stomp Edit Software. But there is no third MIDI/USB in the stomp.
Is there a way to connect HX stomp to my Macbook via MC3?