Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects IR questions

jm345

I have ordered the HX Effects and am reading the manual and watching the videos.

The manual says, "NOTE: Just like a true speaker cab, IR blocks are mono. Therefore, an IR block will sum any stereo source that is fed into it to mono."  If I want stereo output it seems I should put the IR block someplace with any other mono blocks and place the stereo blocks at the end? Will the location of the IR block have any effect on the overall final sound output, other than the obvious stereo/mono issue?

Does the HX Effects come with any IRs preloaded? Is the HX Edit software functioning for importing IRs to the HX Effects?  Thank you.

I always use an IR (with acoustic guitar), but always before any stereo effects, as it is a mono block and I think will reduce to mono. I view the IR as tone shaping, so hasn't been an issue for me. If necessary, you could use 2 mono 1024 sample IRs in 2 blocks and use a split path, but that eats up some of your blocks.

There are a few IRs preloaded, don't remember how many. Yes, you HX Edit supports IR importing for the HX Effects.

Putting stereo blocks before any mono block will be mixed to mono, and therefore pretty much wastes DSP cycles. If you want stereo, put all the blocks after your last mono block, usually the amp/cab/IR block in stereo. Everything before the amp should be mono.

4 hours ago, amsdenj said:

Putting stereo blocks before any mono block will be mixed to mono, and therefore pretty much wastes DSP cycles. If you want stereo, put all the blocks after your last mono block, usually the amp/cab/IR block in stereo. Everything before the amp should be mono.

The HX Effects manual says, "NOTE: Just like a true speaker cab, IR blocks are mono. Therefore, an IR block will sum any stereo source that is fed into it to mono." 

I get that. It doesn't sound like there an option to set the IR block to stereo? If not then it has to be placed before any stereo blocks. So the IR block would come before effects like stereo delay and stereo reverb blocks. If that is true, my question is does having the IR block that far forward in the chain affect the ultimate sound at the end?

I personally haven't experienced any negative effects from having the IR at the front of a stereo chain in the HX Effects. Your IR will do more or less tone shaping depending on your the IR used, and your IR settings (mix, hi and lo cut). Most folks are likely using the HX Effects with a real amp and cabinet. In my case, I using the IR block for acoustic guitar to shape tone, then into effects, then to PA.

If you are doing a lot of stereo, consider ditching 3rd party IR and use the built in cabs in a dual cab configuration. Set the right mic, distance, early reflection and hi/lo cuts for your sound and imho, it’s as good as good gets.

3 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

If you are doing a lot of stereo, consider ditching 3rd party IR and use the built in cabs in a dual cab configuration. Set the right mic, distance, early reflection and hi/lo cuts for your sound and imho, it’s as good as good gets.

Does the HX Effects have cabs? I didn't see them listed in the Owner's Manual - just that it can use IRs.

Convolution is linear, so it should have the same effect on overall tone anywhere in a series signal chain, as long as there's no distortion in the chain. For example, an exciter would behave differently before or after an IR since it's actually generating frequencies.

So mono effects before or after the IR block shouldn't matter that much. And therefore putting stereo blocks after the IR shouldn't effect their contribution that much. You want to be sure any blocks after the amp have sufficient headroom that they don't cause additional unwanted distortion. The Leslie and delay blocks that have a headroom parameter are designed for front of the amp use. If you use them after the amp, consider setting the amp channel volume for unity gain and/or increase the headroom on these blocks to ensure they aren't adding unwanted distortion. 

Hummm, now that I think about it, maybe an exciter block in Helix would be, well, exciting...

• Upvote 1