Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Edit Download

lezardduluc

Hello everyone !

So I just bought my Helix LT and the firmware is currently version 2.12.2, so obviously I want to upgrade it, plus I want to install some patches on it !

I need to download Helix Edit apparently, but I really can't find the page to do so... I tried to do what other people did in other topics, but it is still a mystery :/

Can someone help me out ?

Thank you all !

5 hours ago, lezardduluc said:

Hello everyone !

So I just bought my Helix LT and the firmware is currently version 2.12.2, so obviously I want to upgrade it, plus I want to install some patches on it !

I need to download Helix Edit apparently, but I really can't find the page to do so... I tried to do what other people did in other topics, but it is still a mystery :/

Can someone help me out ?

Thank you all !

Hi lezadduluc,

First thing to do is go here:

https://line6.com/software/

Now you are on the Line 6 downloads page, you should select HX Edit under the All Software tab and then whatever version of Windows, or Mac OS you are using from All OS on the dropdown menus. This will take you to the current version 2.70 HX Edit “The Marketplace Update” download page. This is the only thing you need to download and install first.

When you install HX Edit it will also install the latest Line6 Updater v1.15 and any other drivers etc., that you may need. After the new HX Edit software has been installed, reboot your computer.

When you’ve done this, run the HX Edit software and from the menu select the option to make a back up. This will make a backup of all your stuff in your LT, presets, global, IRs etc. When this has finished shutdown HX Edit, then launch the new Line 6 Updater v1.15. If all your USB connections are good the Updater should see your Helix. You can now proceed with the firmware upgrade to firmware v 2.70, over your internet connection. Do not disconnect or turn off the power to your Helix during this update process. When completed your Helix will reboot and rebuild the presets, then you are good to go, no hardware reset is required.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Any problems with this - let me know!

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, monabri said:

Why didn't they call the Helix Edit ..."Helix Edit" rather than HX Edit... For a new user this just adds confusion. Good job this forum exists!

Because prior to the release of HX Edit the Helix librarian program was simply called Helix. I presume it was decided that calling the new editor Helix Edit would be more confusing given the existing Helix program. HX Edit is more differentiated.

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2020 at 8:50 AM, silverhead said:

Because prior to the release of HX Edit the Helix librarian program was simply called Helix. I presume it was decided that calling the new editor Helix Edit would be more confusing given the existing Helix program. HX Edit is more differentiated.

What Silverhead said, a nice piece of Helix history. Line 6 also came out with several new devices using HX technology that were not technically a "Helix". The LT, HX Stomp, and HX FX were released after the Helix, all of which use essentially the same editor. I think the branding was that these were all part of one line  of equipment - the "HX" line, but not necessarily a Helix so "HX Edit" makes more sense as the name of the one editor to rule them all. 

Btw, I have been asking since practically the first firmware upgrades that the file that we download actually be renamed to something like the HX Bundle. The fact that that download actually contains not only the editor but also the required drivers and updater has been a source of infinite confusion for newer users.

At least it looks like now the updater has been integrated into HX Edit. That is one less component users have to worry about getting the right version of. Of course there is still confusion because it would appear that although you can now be automatically alerted when there is a new latest firmware version and download and install it from your current version of HX Edit it is still unclear as to whether or not you also have to download and install the latest version of HX Edit. As far as i can tell, if there is one, you do.  Ideally a one stop shop upgrade process would automatically update the editor, drivers, updater, and firmware all at the same time. We seem to be still at some interim phase of a truly mature upgrade process. Better than it used to be but still prone to leaving users unaware of what steps they need to take.

Sometimes a new firmware version comes out without a corresponding editor version. I think the latest hotfix from 2.90 to 2.91 was a perfect example of how firmware and editor can still get out of synch with each other when only the firmware is updated through HX Edit . There was never a 2.91 version of HX Edit, only 2.91 firmware. For users who have since used the 2.90 version of HX Edit to upgrade to the 2.92 firmware I wonder how many of them are unaware that there is also a 2.92 version of HX Edit. Ideally HX Edit 2.90 would upgrade the firmware to 2.92 and also upgrade itself to HX Edit 2.92. If it is already doing this please let us know Line6,  but I don't believe that is currently the case(could be wrong). As far as I know you still have to manually download and install the latest version of HX Edit(2.92 right now). At least that is the way I did it.

• Upvote 1