Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Expression Pedal Issue

mikiiabuel

Hi All,

First time to post here as I really couldn't find an answer to my issue. I'm using an HX Effects with a dunlop dvp4 mini volume and expression pedal. I connected a trs cable into the aux and  pedal 1 of the HX effects to control my wah position or whammy mix position. I did the learn thing, and actually the expression pedal is controlling the right parameters.

However, my issue is that the heel position is correct (always 0% on whatever is being controlled), but once i get to the maximum toe position, it goes back to 0% position or what the heel position was doing. I noticed that the peak is somewhere at 70% of toe position. to clarify please see below example.

Example on Wah (position vs. sound heard):

max heel = bassier sound of a wah

70% of toe = treble sound of a wah 

max toe (100%) = back to bassier sound of a wah

Example on whammy (position vs. sound heard):

max heel = 0%mix of whammy sound

70% of toe = 100%mix of whammy sound

max toe (100%) = 0%mix of whammy sound

Can someone please advise what to do on this issue, I just need a linear relation between heel to toe vs. 0% to 100% wah position, or 0% to 100% mix on some parameters.

Thanks in advance!

Line 6 expression pedals use TS rather then TRS connections, its a bit odd and also not mentioned in the helix manual.

Luckily my dod mini expression has an option for this, when i used it in TRS mode it gave me some really odd results, as soon as I switched to TS mode all was fine.

The dunlop dvp4 doesn't have a TR switch, but try a standard mono cable rather than a TRS one. That will short the R and S poles together and give you in effect the same thing.

Hi, I tried on a normal cable but same results. Would peak at 70% heel but back to minimun at 100% heal. I really think theres something wrong with calibrating this. I recall had same issue with an FX8 but cured it once in the pc editor as max and min could be set directly. I’ll try the hx edit if any luck to cure this.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:48 AM, mikiiabuel said:

Hi, I tried on a normal cable but same results. Would peak at 70% heel but back to minimun at 100% heal. I really think theres something wrong with calibrating this. I recall had same issue with an FX8 but cured it once in the pc editor as max and min could be set directly. I’ll try the hx edit if any luck to cure this.

Hi man! first of all, sorry for my english haha!

I had exactly the same problem and I did this;

in the hx, I put the min value in %100, and the max value in %0 (Im talking about the wah wah pedal).

after that you have to check the expresion pedal knob (if you have one)

that worked for me BUT, now I have another problem, and the problem is that I dont like how the swell of the pedal works.

Thanks Pablo,  did what you said and saw that it would do as how it was set and then came back to the initial problem.

Long story short I tried a different trs cable and it got cured, turns out my trs was shorting some contacts. Feel silly for not narrowing down the issue but luckily I used the software and saw how the pedal was communicating and tried other options.

As for the swell you’ll need the volume block on, and set exp 1 or 2 to the output.

So you got the Dunlop volume x working with a TRS cable?

i had mine working perfect with the  EXP 2 jack but am finding similar problems when I try to use it with my EXP 1 jack (my amp channels only work on my EXP 2 jack as well, so I wanted to run the Dunlop Volume X in EXP 1!)

just dont undertand why mine works perfect with a TS cable in EXP 2 but not EXP 1! My amp channel switching is the same - works in EXP 2 but not EXP 1!!

i’ve never been so frustrated in my life!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Was having the exact same problem as @mikiiabuel but with the HX Stomp. What solved the problem for me was changing the polarity inside the dvp4 mini from tip to ring and also inverting the polarity in the HX Stomp. Sounds weird but now it's all working fine with the TS cable.

The only thing to note is that now, if I want to use the TRS cable for any reason, I have to change the polarity in the HX Stomp back to normal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 5:50 AM, marciokl said:

Was having the exact same problem as @mikiiabuel but with the HX Stomp. What solved the problem for me was changing the polarity inside the dvp4 mini from tip to ring and also inverting the polarity in the HX Stomp. Sounds weird but now it's all working fine with the TS cable.

The only thing to note is that now, if I want to use the TRS cable for any reason, I have to change the polarity in the HX Stomp back to normal. 

Yeah Same thing, I just recently bought an HX stomp for home use and did similar method. Both units worked out well with this method