Jump to content
amsdenj

HX Stomp: Are 6 blocks enough? Not really

Recommended Posts

I think Line6 hit a decent happy medium with the Stomp. I like its simplicity. I’ve also freed up a block by sending the output from it to my Strymon Bigsky eliminating the need for an internal reverb. For those with complex internal routing needs, this unit is definitely not for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Well, all we need is air, food, water, shelter, right...?

Sorry, that statement is simply not true. For much of what I do, 6 blocks is not enough, period. (I process 2 and sometimes 3 different sounds simultaneously, from 2 sources, on one instrument.)

 

Hey, I'm on your side here.  I was being gently sarcastic with that reply but maybe it wasn't obvious.  To me, the Stomp should be allowed to grow beyond the six blocks.

 

Love your stuff online by the way.  In fact, I tried to buy your presets for the HX Stomp for acoustic guitars, but the link didn't seem to be up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Hey, I'm on your side here.  I was being gently sarcastic with that reply but maybe it wasn't obvious.  To me, the Stomp should be allowed to grow beyond the six blocks.

 

Love your stuff online by the way.  In fact, I tried to buy your presets for the HX Stomp for acoustic guitars, but the link didn't seem to be up.

Thanks! I didn't get the sarcasm, I do now... there needs to be a sarcasm font...

My presets for Acoustic (and multi-voice) for Helix and Stomp are all ready to go, uploaded, waiting for Line 6 to push the button for final release! hopefully in the next day or 2.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 6:56 PM, pott24 said:

I've never run into any Blocks count blockers with 6 blocks, since I don't really use effects (Comp + OD + Vibe + Trem on cleans, and... that's it. No FX on OD tones).

However, I DO run into DSP constraints on the HX Stomp whenever using two amps (or 2 x (amp + cabs) or (2 x amps) + 1 cab etc...). HX CAN take it, but it ruins any capabilities for effects. on top of it.

 

 

I want to do something similar. If I want to use the fx loop for reverb does the fx block take up one of the 6 available? I want to run two amps+cabs and will probably be IR's. I know I can run a single amp + cab without limitations just mostly curious if fx block takes up one of the 6 blocks. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jeremiahjustice said:

I want to do something similar. If I want to use the fx loop for reverb does the fx block take up one of the 6 available? I want to run two amps+cabs and will probably be IR's. I know I can run a single amp + cab without limitations just mostly curious if fx block takes up one of the 6 blocks. Thanks.

With Stomp, I'd seriously consider finding a built-in cab that works for you (adjusting lo hi cuts, mic distance (THE secret sauce), early reflections, and mic type) to save blocks. But yes, the FX Send/Return takes a block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

With Stomp, I'd seriously consider finding a built-in cab that works for you (adjusting lo hi cuts, mic distance (THE secret sauce), early reflections, and mic type) to save blocks. But yes, the FX Send/Return takes a block.

Thank you Peter. I think I need to look towards the helix then. I'm looking into the Helix floorboard as well and trying to determine if I can program a footswitch to be a tap tempo control for my other midi gear (tremotron, nemesis delay, ventris reverb) and helix effects at same time. Helix modulation is pretty good and I could sale my mobius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that 6 block limitation is very limiting. I have no idea how you guys say that you can get by with 3-6 blocks and get everything you need. I play at my church and dont need a lot of presets. I am trying to use this as a replacement for my simple pedalboard and amp. The stomp has a single dsp chip so if a helix can handle 16 per chip, shouldn't a stomp handle at least 8-10. Especially if you have most If not all as mono and no stereo. Also what about if you have them in the background but not turned on in snapshot mode. So in another snapshot you can switch overdrives without the preset change lag (pause). Also at least let us use an fx block without using a block. How can using a fx out use dsp. The pedals in the dsp are just sending signal. It doesnt have to use dsp to model any info.

 

So my typical board I am replacing is a boss tu3 tuner, timmy, tube screamer, volume pedal, dd500, hall of fame to my amp.

 

My typical preset i use now is a minotaur, timmy,    Matchstick ch2, fx out block (volume pedal-dd500-hall of fame), searchlights, noise gate.

 

So that itself sounds awesome. But it would be more useful if i could also have an additional block for lets say an ir. Or being able to use the stomps delays and reverbs instead of using my fx loop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyyano said:

I believe that 6 block limitation is very limiting. I have no idea how you guys say that you can get by with 3-6 blocks and get everything you need. I play at my church and dont need a lot of presets. I am trying to use this as a replacement for my simple pedalboard and amp. The stomp has a single dsp chip so if a helix can handle 16 per chip, shouldn't a stomp handle at least 8-10. Especially if you have most If not all as mono and no stereo. Also what about if you have them in the background but not turned on in snapshot mode. So in another snapshot you can switch overdrives without the preset change lag (pause). Also at least let us use an fx block without using a block. How can using a fx out use dsp. The pedals in the dsp are just sending signal. It doesnt have to use dsp to model any info.

 

So my typical board I am replacing is a boss tu3 tuner, timmy, tube screamer, volume pedal, dd500, hall of fame to my amp.

 

My typical preset i use now is a minotaur, timmy,    Matchstick ch2, fx out block (volume pedal-dd500-hall of fame), searchlights, noise gate.

 

So that itself sounds awesome. But it would be more useful if i could also have an additional block for lets say an ir. Or being able to use the stomps delays and reverbs instead of using my fx loop.

 

First, you're absolutely right the processor could do more.  They intentionally limited it without specifically saying why.  That doesn't mean they don't have a good reason - but I'm with you, until they actually say what that reason is I'm stuck thinking that an AMAZING piece of tech could easily, with a small programming tweak, become the most freaking amazing thing ever (and that's taking into account pizza and flushing toilets).

 

Still, to be fair - it's totally true that people will use what you give them. In the days of 40 mb hard drives, nobody could imagine needing much more. Today consumers fill 2 terabytes . . . or 20. 

 

So thinking about music for a bit, I mean . . .  PART (and I mean that with a caveat because I'm not saying people don't do amazing stuff with long signal chains that can ONLY be done with long chains) of the reason that people use long signal chains is because they can.  My brother is a computer programmer, and one thing he always points out is if you give them tons of firepower they often write lazy code - give them very narrow specifications and they write brilliant simple code that wouldn't have happened without those restrictions.  Most of the greatest songs of all time only had a handful of effects used - six covers just about everything well known in human history. The Stomp does bring out a certain level of creativity. 

 

So I'm with you. I WANT to open the Stomp's full potential. I'm baffled Line 6, who is selling gangbusters with this thing, doesn't seem to stop and wonder how much MORE they'd do if they allowed 16 blocks. I personally think the Stomp would go from amazing to legendary gear. Still, they claim a year from its release it will all make more sense, and I guess as much as I want 16 blocks I'm stuck waiting to see if they will convince me. I really don't have a choice in the matter, other than vote in Ideascale. Whatever that tends to be worth. 

 

All in all though, it's still the most amazing piece of guitar gear I've ever owned, and I recommend it to all sorts of people. I do know a few though who would have got the Stomp if it could even just do 10 blocks, and instead went the Gigboard route because the Helix was just too far outside what they wanted to spend.  I suspect there are actually quite a few people out there like that. 

 

Afterthought: We also must remember their primary target audience were pedalboard users. Their thinking was they already had beloved effects they wouldn't want to lose and so the DSP/block issues were far less relevant. That's the market share they're driving for. Of course, the moment you point that out you think, "Well, yeah, but wouldn't you rather wow them so amazingly that you wean them off those other pedals OR grab market share from an entirely different group who want an all in one?" Be that as it may, I rarely have problems with the 6 block limit precisely because I'm simple AND I was in that first target market as if I need more than 6 blocks I either share it with my Firehawk 1500 or my small and simple collection of existing pedals. 

 

 

 

Pedalboard.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

My brother is a computer programmer, and one thing he always points out is if you give them tons of firepower they often write lazy code - give them very narrow specifications and they write brilliant simple code that wouldn't have happened without those restrictions.  Most of the greatest songs of all time only had a handful of effects used - six covers just about everything well known in human history. The Stomp does bring out a certain level of creativity.

For me it's not about having a long signal chain for one sound, but having the fast switching between heavy gain/clean and trails for ambient FX without a gap in the patches. I was checking one out for a backup board, but I'd be either having to use actual patch switching with a noticeable gap, or cut out stuff that's important in either clean or drive tones to use snapshots, on top of compromising which FX I'm using in current presets. There is something to be said about giving yourself a box to work in and maximizing what you can do inside it, for sure, but I've already defined the box I'm working in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a decent example of a setup using only 6 blocks:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kevin-M said:

Here’s a decent example of a setup using only 6 blocks:

 

 

 

I thought he did a pretty solid version, though I have to stress I'm with Peter Hamm on this - if you're not going to use an IR or a split cabinet setup, I see absolutely no reason to not use the amp/cab combos that Line 6 provides in the Stomp.  You're using one block instead of two, and I don't hear a single sound difference between them.

 

I get that if you prefer IRs or are doing complex routing that isn't a choice, but for the guy's setup in the video, it works just fine.

 

2 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

For me it's not about having a long signal chain for one sound, but having the fast switching between heavy gain/clean and trails for ambient FX without a gap in the patches. I was checking one out for a backup board, but I'd be either having to use actual patch switching with a noticeable gap, or cut out stuff that's important in either clean or drive tones to use snapshots, on top of compromising which FX I'm using in current presets. There is something to be said about giving yourself a box to work in and maximizing what you can do inside it, for sure, but I've already defined the box I'm working in.

 

Yeah I was trying to be pretty cautious about how I said it because if I'm not careful it'll sound like I'm arguing there's no point in a Helix. Fact of the matter is, there is, and there are numerous examples of both the creativity it gives you such as you described by you, and of people creating really complex signal chains that just couldn't be done anywhere else.  There is of course also the Variax element that exists there too. I still sometimes ponder an LT purchase precisely because of how cool it is - that's why at the end of the day I hope Line 6 really didn't cripple the Stomp as a way to keep it from encroaching on the full Helix line because that just isn't necessary.  There is still a number of advantages that naturally exist in the full Helix hardware that will keep it valuable, but there's no reason you can't make the Stomp even more attractive.

 

The careful balance I'm trying to describe is for those who claim the Stomp is unusable, that's hyperbole. Amazing great music can be done with it and it's a tool people could only dream about as little as five years ago, but at the end of the day the Stomp still becomes a better product the closer it gets to the functionality of a full Helix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 27:16 in this youtube video, Digital Igloo (I'm pretty sure that's who it is) says, "It doesn't mean that HX Stomp gets more than 6 blocks...yet." This is something I've suspected but didn't want to get into the "here's what Line 6 will do next" crystal ball gazing. Thought some one  might be interested in this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

At 27:16 in this youtube video, Digital Igloo (I'm pretty sure that's who it is) says, "It doesn't mean that HX Stomp gets more than 6 blocks...yet." This is something I've suspected but didn't want to get into the "here's what Line 6 will do next" crystal ball gazing. Thought some one  might be interested in this.

 

 

 

Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, my heart skipped a beat in that moment because to me that would be just about the coolest damn thing ever, but I didn't want to hang too many hopes on it.

 

Still, I'll admit it. Fingers are crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, my heart skipped a beat in that moment because to me that would be just about the coolest damn thing ever, but I didn't want to hang too many hopes on it.

 

Still, I'll admit it. Fingers are crossed.

 

One thing it seems like Line 6 tends to do is to ship out products when they work but still have some tweaks coming. Personally I like this method. I either wait awhile or get my hands on it now. Being the impatient entitled gotta have it yesterday person that I am, I'll take it early. So I suspected there was more under the hood of the HX Stomp. And the fact that Digital Igloo said it, tells me it's true. With Helix 3.0 perhaps? Oh, there I go, conjecturing again. Sorry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×