Jump to content
amsdenj

HX Stomp: Are 6 blocks enough? Not really

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Well, all we need is air, food, water, shelter, right...?

Sorry, that statement is simply not true. For much of what I do, 6 blocks is not enough, period. (I process 2 and sometimes 3 different sounds simultaneously, from 2 sources, on one instrument.)

 

Hey, I'm on your side here.  I was being gently sarcastic with that reply but maybe it wasn't obvious.  To me, the Stomp should be allowed to grow beyond the six blocks.

 

Love your stuff online by the way.  In fact, I tried to buy your presets for the HX Stomp for acoustic guitars, but the link didn't seem to be up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Hey, I'm on your side here.  I was being gently sarcastic with that reply but maybe it wasn't obvious.  To me, the Stomp should be allowed to grow beyond the six blocks.

 

Love your stuff online by the way.  In fact, I tried to buy your presets for the HX Stomp for acoustic guitars, but the link didn't seem to be up.

Thanks! I didn't get the sarcasm, I do now... there needs to be a sarcasm font...

My presets for Acoustic (and multi-voice) for Helix and Stomp are all ready to go, uploaded, waiting for Line 6 to push the button for final release! hopefully in the next day or 2.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 6:56 PM, pott24 said:

I've never run into any Blocks count blockers with 6 blocks, since I don't really use effects (Comp + OD + Vibe + Trem on cleans, and... that's it. No FX on OD tones).

However, I DO run into DSP constraints on the HX Stomp whenever using two amps (or 2 x (amp + cabs) or (2 x amps) + 1 cab etc...). HX CAN take it, but it ruins any capabilities for effects. on top of it.

 

 

I want to do something similar. If I want to use the fx loop for reverb does the fx block take up one of the 6 available? I want to run two amps+cabs and will probably be IR's. I know I can run a single amp + cab without limitations just mostly curious if fx block takes up one of the 6 blocks. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jeremiahjustice said:

I want to do something similar. If I want to use the fx loop for reverb does the fx block take up one of the 6 available? I want to run two amps+cabs and will probably be IR's. I know I can run a single amp + cab without limitations just mostly curious if fx block takes up one of the 6 blocks. Thanks.

With Stomp, I'd seriously consider finding a built-in cab that works for you (adjusting lo hi cuts, mic distance (THE secret sauce), early reflections, and mic type) to save blocks. But yes, the FX Send/Return takes a block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

With Stomp, I'd seriously consider finding a built-in cab that works for you (adjusting lo hi cuts, mic distance (THE secret sauce), early reflections, and mic type) to save blocks. But yes, the FX Send/Return takes a block.

Thank you Peter. I think I need to look towards the helix then. I'm looking into the Helix floorboard as well and trying to determine if I can program a footswitch to be a tap tempo control for my other midi gear (tremotron, nemesis delay, ventris reverb) and helix effects at same time. Helix modulation is pretty good and I could sale my mobius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that 6 block limitation is very limiting. I have no idea how you guys say that you can get by with 3-6 blocks and get everything you need. I play at my church and dont need a lot of presets. I am trying to use this as a replacement for my simple pedalboard and amp. The stomp has a single dsp chip so if a helix can handle 16 per chip, shouldn't a stomp handle at least 8-10. Especially if you have most If not all as mono and no stereo. Also what about if you have them in the background but not turned on in snapshot mode. So in another snapshot you can switch overdrives without the preset change lag (pause). Also at least let us use an fx block without using a block. How can using a fx out use dsp. The pedals in the dsp are just sending signal. It doesnt have to use dsp to model any info.

 

So my typical board I am replacing is a boss tu3 tuner, timmy, tube screamer, volume pedal, dd500, hall of fame to my amp.

 

My typical preset i use now is a minotaur, timmy,    Matchstick ch2, fx out block (volume pedal-dd500-hall of fame), searchlights, noise gate.

 

So that itself sounds awesome. But it would be more useful if i could also have an additional block for lets say an ir. Or being able to use the stomps delays and reverbs instead of using my fx loop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyyano said:

I believe that 6 block limitation is very limiting. I have no idea how you guys say that you can get by with 3-6 blocks and get everything you need. I play at my church and dont need a lot of presets. I am trying to use this as a replacement for my simple pedalboard and amp. The stomp has a single dsp chip so if a helix can handle 16 per chip, shouldn't a stomp handle at least 8-10. Especially if you have most If not all as mono and no stereo. Also what about if you have them in the background but not turned on in snapshot mode. So in another snapshot you can switch overdrives without the preset change lag (pause). Also at least let us use an fx block without using a block. How can using a fx out use dsp. The pedals in the dsp are just sending signal. It doesnt have to use dsp to model any info.

 

So my typical board I am replacing is a boss tu3 tuner, timmy, tube screamer, volume pedal, dd500, hall of fame to my amp.

 

My typical preset i use now is a minotaur, timmy,    Matchstick ch2, fx out block (volume pedal-dd500-hall of fame), searchlights, noise gate.

 

So that itself sounds awesome. But it would be more useful if i could also have an additional block for lets say an ir. Or being able to use the stomps delays and reverbs instead of using my fx loop.

 

First, you're absolutely right the processor could do more.  They intentionally limited it without specifically saying why.  That doesn't mean they don't have a good reason - but I'm with you, until they actually say what that reason is I'm stuck thinking that an AMAZING piece of tech could easily, with a small programming tweak, become the most freaking amazing thing ever (and that's taking into account pizza and flushing toilets).

 

Still, to be fair - it's totally true that people will use what you give them. In the days of 40 mb hard drives, nobody could imagine needing much more. Today consumers fill 2 terabytes . . . or 20. 

 

So thinking about music for a bit, I mean . . .  PART (and I mean that with a caveat because I'm not saying people don't do amazing stuff with long signal chains that can ONLY be done with long chains) of the reason that people use long signal chains is because they can.  My brother is a computer programmer, and one thing he always points out is if you give them tons of firepower they often write lazy code - give them very narrow specifications and they write brilliant simple code that wouldn't have happened without those restrictions.  Most of the greatest songs of all time only had a handful of effects used - six covers just about everything well known in human history. The Stomp does bring out a certain level of creativity. 

 

So I'm with you. I WANT to open the Stomp's full potential. I'm baffled Line 6, who is selling gangbusters with this thing, doesn't seem to stop and wonder how much MORE they'd do if they allowed 16 blocks. I personally think the Stomp would go from amazing to legendary gear. Still, they claim a year from its release it will all make more sense, and I guess as much as I want 16 blocks I'm stuck waiting to see if they will convince me. I really don't have a choice in the matter, other than vote in Ideascale. Whatever that tends to be worth. 

 

All in all though, it's still the most amazing piece of guitar gear I've ever owned, and I recommend it to all sorts of people. I do know a few though who would have got the Stomp if it could even just do 10 blocks, and instead went the Gigboard route because the Helix was just too far outside what they wanted to spend.  I suspect there are actually quite a few people out there like that. 

 

Afterthought: We also must remember their primary target audience were pedalboard users. Their thinking was they already had beloved effects they wouldn't want to lose and so the DSP/block issues were far less relevant. That's the market share they're driving for. Of course, the moment you point that out you think, "Well, yeah, but wouldn't you rather wow them so amazingly that you wean them off those other pedals OR grab market share from an entirely different group who want an all in one?" Be that as it may, I rarely have problems with the 6 block limit precisely because I'm simple AND I was in that first target market as if I need more than 6 blocks I either share it with my Firehawk 1500 or my small and simple collection of existing pedals. 

 

 

 

Pedalboard.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

My brother is a computer programmer, and one thing he always points out is if you give them tons of firepower they often write lazy code - give them very narrow specifications and they write brilliant simple code that wouldn't have happened without those restrictions.  Most of the greatest songs of all time only had a handful of effects used - six covers just about everything well known in human history. The Stomp does bring out a certain level of creativity.

For me it's not about having a long signal chain for one sound, but having the fast switching between heavy gain/clean and trails for ambient FX without a gap in the patches. I was checking one out for a backup board, but I'd be either having to use actual patch switching with a noticeable gap, or cut out stuff that's important in either clean or drive tones to use snapshots, on top of compromising which FX I'm using in current presets. There is something to be said about giving yourself a box to work in and maximizing what you can do inside it, for sure, but I've already defined the box I'm working in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kevin-M said:

Here’s a decent example of a setup using only 6 blocks:

 

 

 

I thought he did a pretty solid version, though I have to stress I'm with Peter Hamm on this - if you're not going to use an IR or a split cabinet setup, I see absolutely no reason to not use the amp/cab combos that Line 6 provides in the Stomp.  You're using one block instead of two, and I don't hear a single sound difference between them.

 

I get that if you prefer IRs or are doing complex routing that isn't a choice, but for the guy's setup in the video, it works just fine.

 

2 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

For me it's not about having a long signal chain for one sound, but having the fast switching between heavy gain/clean and trails for ambient FX without a gap in the patches. I was checking one out for a backup board, but I'd be either having to use actual patch switching with a noticeable gap, or cut out stuff that's important in either clean or drive tones to use snapshots, on top of compromising which FX I'm using in current presets. There is something to be said about giving yourself a box to work in and maximizing what you can do inside it, for sure, but I've already defined the box I'm working in.

 

Yeah I was trying to be pretty cautious about how I said it because if I'm not careful it'll sound like I'm arguing there's no point in a Helix. Fact of the matter is, there is, and there are numerous examples of both the creativity it gives you such as you described by you, and of people creating really complex signal chains that just couldn't be done anywhere else.  There is of course also the Variax element that exists there too. I still sometimes ponder an LT purchase precisely because of how cool it is - that's why at the end of the day I hope Line 6 really didn't cripple the Stomp as a way to keep it from encroaching on the full Helix line because that just isn't necessary.  There is still a number of advantages that naturally exist in the full Helix hardware that will keep it valuable, but there's no reason you can't make the Stomp even more attractive.

 

The careful balance I'm trying to describe is for those who claim the Stomp is unusable, that's hyperbole. Amazing great music can be done with it and it's a tool people could only dream about as little as five years ago, but at the end of the day the Stomp still becomes a better product the closer it gets to the functionality of a full Helix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 27:16 in this youtube video, Digital Igloo (I'm pretty sure that's who it is) says, "It doesn't mean that HX Stomp gets more than 6 blocks...yet." This is something I've suspected but didn't want to get into the "here's what Line 6 will do next" crystal ball gazing. Thought some one  might be interested in this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

At 27:16 in this youtube video, Digital Igloo (I'm pretty sure that's who it is) says, "It doesn't mean that HX Stomp gets more than 6 blocks...yet." This is something I've suspected but didn't want to get into the "here's what Line 6 will do next" crystal ball gazing. Thought some one  might be interested in this.

 

 

 

Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, my heart skipped a beat in that moment because to me that would be just about the coolest damn thing ever, but I didn't want to hang too many hopes on it.

 

Still, I'll admit it. Fingers are crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, my heart skipped a beat in that moment because to me that would be just about the coolest damn thing ever, but I didn't want to hang too many hopes on it.

 

Still, I'll admit it. Fingers are crossed.

 

One thing it seems like Line 6 tends to do is to ship out products when they work but still have some tweaks coming. Personally I like this method. I either wait awhile or get my hands on it now. Being the impatient entitled gotta have it yesterday person that I am, I'll take it early. So I suspected there was more under the hood of the HX Stomp. And the fact that Digital Igloo said it, tells me it's true. With Helix 3.0 perhaps? Oh, there I go, conjecturing again. Sorry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In general would be  happy with 6 blocks for the Stomp if just the routing would be more flexible. It is very disappointing the a common use case  requires to sacrifice a block to make it working. Live I just want to have two signals Dry (without IR for my cab on stage)  and Wet (including IR for FOH) .  The unit has everything to do it IO-Wise:

 

  • Main IOs are symmetric thus  prefect to go To FOH
  • Send would drive my Poweramp on stage

Problem is that you cannot route a Split to Send without putting a block in the connection like that:

 

image.thumb.png.47e2357c85f5d31ed9a8fdc8b2e35fa0.png

 

This was already discussed thoroughly in this Thread. My solution so far works but requires constant preset edition due to my different use of the unit (as audio interface  at home studio).

 

Regards,

 

Marco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mstoffel said:

Problem is that you cannot route a Split to Send without putting a block in the connection like that:

 

image.thumb.png.47e2357c85f5d31ed9a8fdc8b2e35fa0.png

 

 

Yes, you need a block in path B in order to create the split.... but why not just drop the IR block to path B and let it create the split, then reverse the output destinations from what is shown in the photo? Then you don't need that gain/volume block...

 

In case you are not aware you also don't need to use a send.... you could just pan the two paths to utilize the Left/Right outputs independently. 

 

Or did I misunderstand your problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I could do that but I need the IR on path A because of symmetrical outs and volume control via the volume knob. The Suggest Balance solution I‘m already using (see the linked thread) but it’s very cumbersome....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mstoffel said:

The Suggest Balance solution I‘m already using (see the linked thread) but it’s very cumbersome....

 

Does that mean you are NOT using a send right now? If so... what is that diagram you posted? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, sorry I know this is non trivial stuff.

 

Currently I  use this is for gigin. :

image.png.e8c002bdd2afbf24bcfd91a0ab8b8d26.png

 

Left  (A) IR  to FOH

Right (B) Without IR to SD Powerstage -> CAB

 

When I'm at home and using the Stomp as my primary soundcard I attach two studio monitors to Main L/R  and control the volume via the volume pot.

image.png.3a61b1a984e0273dc36cfc11b1eb80cf.png

Very nice but I have to change in each preset A level to get rid of the non IR signal and center path B

 

My desire would be to use the send for the non IR path like  in my first post. But without the Volume block (due to six block limit)

image.thumb.png.47e2357c85f5d31ed9a8fdc8b2e35fa0.png

This also has the advantage that both path could be stereo.

 

Hope that explains it a bit better.

 

 

image.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mstoffel said:

My desire would be to use the send for the non IR path like  in my first post. But without the Volume block (due to six block limit)

 

I see... the diagram was your "desired" way to run it. 

I don't own a Stomp... so I thought it may have had different output options than the Helix when I saw your image.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, Kilrahi said:

 

 

Still, I'll admit it. Fingers are crossed.

 

2 more would be sufficient. OD, Amp, IR, EQ, Noisegate, Reverb … no more blocks left… nothing fancy here but a Delay or a Pitch Harmony for soloing would make so much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had an HX Stomp for about 10 days & can say that 6 blocks is not enough for me.

I am currently evaluating the direct sounds I can get from this thing(very impressed so far) & run into routing issues with my current setup.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion 6 blocks for $599.99 u.s.d. is not enough blocks for the price.
Especially for mono block user's, having a limit of six blocks is not good.
I understand the "Forcing Creativity" argument, I just don't think it is legitimate.
Don't misunderstand me, I love my HX Stomp but I am on the verge of selling it because of its limitations.
It would not take much for some creative code writing to make a 12 block limit like the Fractal Audio FM3.
An idea I like more is having unlimited blocks and a warning screen stating when I am approaching CPU limits.
Adding more blocks adds to the creative potential of the HX Stomp.
I remember the Line 6 announcement party implying there would be more blocks available but that was not an official announcement, that was about a year ago already.
The thing that Line 6 seems to have meant by that, in my opinion, is that new items are available in the store not new empty block spaces.
I personally am getting tired of having a governor on the power capabilities of my HX Stomp.
12 empty block spaces is not to much to ask for in my opinion. The Fractal Audio FM3 runs 12 blocks with 3 footswitches. Is it any less creative for having 6 more block spaces? I think not.
I have been teetering on selling my HX Stomp for something with more blocks, but I have been waiting for some follow through from Line 6 and their unofficial "more blocks" announcement because I really love my HX Stomp.
I am not sure I want to wait for to much longer. I am pretty sure I could get $450.00 for it pretty easily. 
I hate feeling like the HX Stomp "has it all" under the hood while still not being tuned up to its full potential.
The code is as easy to write as this extended paragraph is, a lot of it is just copy and paste at this point for the most part.
 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, delok25 said:

The code is as easy to write as this extended paragraph is, a lot of it is just copy and paste at this point for the most part.
 

 

how do you know this part? This seems like a ridiculous assertion, tbh.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car Buyer:  Does this car have cruise control.

Car Salesman:  No it doesn't.  But there are other cars here that do.  They're a bit more expensive

Car Buyer:  No I want THIS car at this price

Car Salesman:  Well, okay...if you're sure.

[Several months later]

Car Buyer:  I think this car really needs cruise control.

Car Salesman:  The other higher priced cars with cruise control are still available.

Car Buyer: No, I want you to install it on this car for free!!!!!

Does this sound familiar???  There is a fix for such things.  It's called "due diligence" when making a buying decision.



 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always count on these forums for the following...

  • Stomp users want more blocks
  • HX Effects users want amp modeling
  • LT users want more inputs
  • Floor users want a smaller footprint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

line 01 - "Firstly, I was not looking for high school like call out's from power users."
line 02 - go to line 01 // lol
 
Secondly, I don't like hearing an hour of namm talk hype including top secret block talk just get another music companies pay add on store.

I am not here for brand allegiance. I am not here for cars. I am talking about a firmware updateable device with the current potential of the fractal audio fm3.

Great, so here come's the "why don't you just get pod-go, we have many beautiful products for you to choose from" argument.
I am just stating my opinion and I am sure some people have to agree.

6 blocks is not enough for 599.99 to me. Sometimes you need to get gear and try it for a while to find out what is best for you.

As far as new people looking for the smallest and most powerful I am not sure I can recommend hx stomp as a complete kit.

With 12 blocks it would be perfect.

There are many choices to choose from. I even just got word that Native Instruments is getting serious about guitar rig 6. Neural DSP, Fractal, Boss, Kemper.
Not to mention all the free guitar hack software you can get these days.

I am having difficulty understanding how anyone would not see my point. 2 chips Helix-lt 32 blocks - 1 chip HX-stomp 6 blocks.

I do not want a large pedalboard or pedalboard replacement device. What I want is HX stomp to be unlocked to its full potential without any "governers" slowing it down.
 

Edited by delok25
Spelling
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, delok25 said:

line 01 - "Firstly, I was not looking for high school like call out's from power users."
line 02 - go to line 01 // lol
 
Secondly, I don't like hearing an hour of namm talk hype including top secret block talk just get another music companies pay add on store.

I am not here for brand allegiance. I am not here for cars. I am talking about a firmware updateable device with the current potential of the fractal audio fm3.

Great, so here come's the "why don't you just get pod-go, we have many beautiful products for you to choose from" argument.
I am just stating my opinion and I am sure some people have to agree.

6 blocks is not enough for 599.99 to me. Sometimes you need to get gear and try it for a while to find out what is best for you.

As far as new people looking for the smallest and most powerful I am not sure I can recommend hx stomp as a complete kit.

With 12 blocks it would be perfect.

There are many choices to choose from. I even just got word that Native Instruments is getting serious about guitar rig 6. Neural DSP, Fractal, Boss, Kemper.
Not to mention all the free guitar hack software you can get these days.

I am having difficulty understanding how anyone would not see my point. 2 chips Helix-lt 32 blocks - 1 chip HX-stomp 6 blocks.

I do not want a large pedalboard or pedalboard replacement device. What I want is HX stomp to be unlocked to its full potential without any "governers" slowing it down.
 

maybe you should just stop making music until someone makes exactly the product you have determined is the best one possible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, delok25 said:

I am talking about a firmware updateable device with the current potential of the fractal audio fm3.


Current potential of what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, codamedia said:


Current potential of what? 

Something that currently is not available to purchase and will cost at least $350 more than Stomp...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Something that currently is not available to purchase and will cost at least $350 more than Stomp...

 

 

yep... that was my point :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  Lots of ways around the 6 block limitation via effects loop 

2.  Send output to an external reverb, eliminating the need for a reverb block

3.  Make a purchase based on a product’s current capabilities, not its theoretical potential

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumor has it that 2.9 HX Stomp will have 8 blocks! This will really increase the utility of HX Stomp for me and make it a more viable option or backup for gigging. 8 blocks will allow me to add an always on compressor and Wah to my existing patches. Very wonderful news.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amsdenj said:

Rumor has it that 2.9 HX Stomp will have 8 blocks! This will really increase the utility of HX Stomp for me and make it a more viable option or backup for gigging. 8 blocks will allow me to add an always on compressor and Wah to my existing patches. Very wonderful news.

 


DI confirmed over on TGP that this will be happening with 3.0 and not 2.9. So hopefully later summer/early fall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

8 blocks is better but still not enough, especially since the looper does not work correctly.

Honestly, the looper is half of what I got this device for at the time.

6 blocks and a looper block that wont delete audio correctly?!? hmmmmm…….. I am still not convinced HX Stomp is the swiss army knife of ultimate power I have been promised.

Now that pod has all the power of helix you have to realize that pod is helix, its all just writing code mostly copy and paste.

599.99 is not even a point for me currently.

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, delok25 said:

8 blocks is better but still not enough, especially since the looper does not work correctly.

 

If 6 (or 8) blocks aren't enough, then perhaps you bought the wrong tool for the job. 

 

2 hours ago, delok25 said:

Honestly, the looper is half of what I got this device for at the time.

 

I wouldn't expect a full-featured looper in a product that's advertised primarily as a modeler.  Especially if a looper was the cornerstone of my setup.  It is like buying a car and expecting the cup holder to accommodate every size of cup/mug.

 

2 hours ago, delok25 said:

I am still not convinced HX Stomp is the swiss army knife of ultimate power I have been promised.

 

Who promised you HX Stomp was the swiss army knife of ultimate power??  It was pretty obvious from day 1 that HX Stomp is a stripped down version of Helix.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, delok25 said:

Now that pod has all the power of helix you have to realize that pod is helix, its all just writing code mostly copy and paste.

 

Why is there any indication that this is the case?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if 6 isn't enough, get the floor / LT / rack  ............. it's simple, when you bought stomp it had 6 blocks...... 

you are spending to much time worrying about what it doesn't have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im going from an XT Live which embarasingly died Live, to a more serviceable all Compact pedal type pedalboard...But was unwieldy to haul and still is....Im up to 23 pedals....but with a signal looper I can pull out any defectives out and not loose a beat (maybe one), so this is where this HX Stomp would help me...A smaller footprint...without the huge expense of an equal redundant BU.....   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess maybe every one here neglected to notice that the looper block does not delete audio correctly, never mind the embarrassingly small available loop memory.
No, I do not think under 60 seconds of looping time is acceptable.
 Never mind the random freezing of the footswitches in the middle of performances requiring a full reboot to recover from.
6 blocks is not enough, 9 blocks would be decent, 12 blocks would be perfect.
There are constructive ideas and comments here but a lot of the conversation has seemed to turn destructive.
I am an HX Stomp owner, influencers promoting HX stomp as the ultimate toolkit that fits in your pocket have not seemed to put this thing through the paces at the time.
Has anyone got the looper block to delete audio correctly? Nope.
I'm pretty sure we all got told to direct our firmware update requests to a private group where dev's/software-devotees can see it.
What is wrong with airing out the issues here? 
I am not sure how any of you have gotten through any 6 hour session with no freeze ups ever.
I use the HX Stomp almost everyday for months almost a year, occasionally it freezes at the most inopportune time, the looper does not delete audio correctly, 6 blocks is not enough, under 60 seconds of loop time is not enough.
I remember when the very first boss looper single button stomp pedal came out way back in the dark ages, decades ago, it had 60 seconds of loop time, big wow.
I see a lot of comments implying the HX Stomp is a perfect and flawless product that can use no improvement whatsoever.
In my usage HX Stomp has many glaring issues that would probably not be noticed if it did not get put through its paces by its users, like me.

Like I said it, and I got it, a "we have many beautiful products to choose from" comment which could be way more constructive.

HX stomp has half the processing power of the Helix but a 1/6 of the utility and I am tired of the power it contains being capped, in my opinion you should be too, lol.

We do not need to defend this product, you should not have to defend any product because there are many available products to choose from in this saturated market place, but we can bring to light the things we feel this product needs to stay current.

I love my HX Stomp like i said but Like I also said I am not sure that I can recommend it in its current state.

p.s. if you want to learn code you could dip your toes in the water at code.org/learn and if you want to get into guitar hacks like free vst's you could start at bluecataudio.com 
 Or you could check out this article on free vst's at hiphopmakers.com/free-guitar-amp-vst-plugins-best-guitar-amp-vst-instruments 
Many of the people in the "we make plugins, with code" camp are down to share their secrets if you are polite and like to go down rabbit holes.
Hopefully you find this helpful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:20 AM, DunedinDragon said:


Car Buyer:  I think this car really needs cruise control.

 

 

30 minutes ago, delok25 said:


I'm pretty sure we all got told to direct our firmware update requests to a private group where dev's/software-devotees can see it.
What is wrong with airing out the issues here? 

 

There's nothing wrong with "complaining" about a product you bought. Human history is proof that doing so often improves products. Clearly the car analogy is not really applicable here - this is something that can be changed with software. Hardware changes (like cruise control) are always prohibitively expensive for free, but in this case, the hardware is powerful enough to do it. The costs involved are not going to be exceptionally high (because software just isn't guys - that's why the biz is so profitable and why companies like Microsoft, Apple, Android, Sony, Line 6, and on and on are always rolling out software updates with new improved features because it takes the same product and for a relatively small investment makes it retain or gain relevance!) ESPECIALLY if said software tweak actually makes your product more desirable (which in this case, you have to be proud of being full of lollipop if you honestly argue a Stomp that has more blocks isn't a better buy). 

 

There IS a point where if you are angry and mad enough about stuff that was made crystal clear to you when you bought it that it makes you look . . . whiny at best? I am NOT saying that's what I think delok25 looks like, but I have personally been annoyed by how much people complain about some things that they knowingly went into. So I get to some degree telling Stomp users that are foaming at the mouth over 6 blocks to take a chill pill. 

 

Besides, the proof is in the result! Eight blocks is coming! Is it as good as what I envisioned? Hell no. Will it cover and solve most of the issues I ever ran into with the Stomp . . .absolutely, because the number one problem was FX blocks eating up the damn available blocks.

 

At the end of the day I went on and got a full Helix and haven't looked back . . . much . . . but still, this is a win I say. The Stomp will be a lot better with 8 blocks than 6. Clearly it was doable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...