Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix software causes BSOD

Karrayon

Hi,
so I wanted to update helix today, but after installing 2.7 updater, every time i try to enter updater/edit i'm getting blue screen with error: l6podhd2.sys. I tried to:

• reinstall software
  • check all usb cables in house
  • make sure that any unnecessary usb decices are unplugged
  • check processes in windows
  • manually deleting all files that have pod in name and are in line 6 folder

Since i can't use edit, I would really appreciate any input.

• 2 months later...

Why did you install the Updater?  That gets installed along with all the appropriate drivers when you download and install HX Edit.  Follow the directions regarding FW upgrades:

Download and install the HX Edit version that matches the FW you intend to install.

Run the Line 6 Updater that was installed with HX Edit.

• 5 weeks later...

***Before comments with the usual obvious reply... have you uninstalled - using latest software ect ect... YES***

Also having the same issue after the 2.71 update with a few different errors each time but the most common is

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 

l6Podhd2.sys

I believe this has something to do with releasing the audio focus from the DAW to and from other apps, it seems to get stuck say jumping from the DAW to chrome then back again. It will then sometimes crash the software OR BSOD... or instant BSOD.

Tested in both Studio One & Cakewalk and the same issue happens, I can almost replicate this each time

• 2 months later...

Still getting this issue and Line 6 have resorted to " Try reinstalling the OS.." which is not an adequate response, im certain there is bad code in the driver but im not clued up enough on these sorts of issues on windows.

The exact cause of the error based on the fault code is

"A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high" 

Attached is some info from the last BSOD mini dump using BlueScreenView, it confirms this cause.

Here is some further information I found regarding this error

=================================================================================

If the first parameter has the same value as the fourth parameter, and the third parameter indicates an execute operation, this bug check was likely caused by a driver that was trying to execute code when the code itself was paged out. Possible causes for the page fault include the following:

• The function was marked as pageable and was running at an elevated IRQL (which includes obtaining a lock).

• The function call was made to a function in another driver, and that driver was unloaded.

• The function was called by using a function pointer that was an invalid pointer.

Resolution

To begin debugging, use a kernel debugger to get a stack trace. 

If the problem is caused by the driver that you are developing, make sure that the function that was executing at the time of the bug check is not marked as pageable or does not call any other inline functions that could be paged out. 

BCCode: d1   0x000000d1  <-- read this link
http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_error/DRIVER-IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL-0x000000D1-*1210.html?order=votes

Capture.JPG

• 3 months later...

From my own experience, this appears to be due to an issue with the Logitech GHUB software, likely an IRQ conflict. 
Exiting the software from the system tray before plugging the Helix in stopped this issue from occurring. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I also had the BSOD recently but it was related to a version difference between HX Edit and Helix. I had previously updated my helix to 2.7x but my HX Edit was something like 2.6x. If I started HX Edit with the Helix's USB cable connected to my computer, instant BSOD. Happened three times in a row. I then updated to HX Edit 2.7x and eliminated the BSOD, and then I was able to do the backups suggested for upgrading to 2.8. Just my recent experience.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently having a very similar issue to those in this thread too. I use my Helix as a full time sound card for my Windows 10 PC. When using it as normal in Windows I never experience crashes or BSOD and everything works fine, this extends to talking in discord with a mic I have plugged into the Helix.

However whenever I play games (Experienced this in Dota 2 and CS:GO), all my audio and the game will occasionally stutter. Sometimes very briefly before returning to normal, and sometimes it will grind to a halt and I will get a BSOD. This has happened multiple times within the past two weeks however the problem has been ongoing since I got the Helix. Originally (a few months ago) games would just stutter and then occasionally completely freeze up (requiring computer restart), however it has now started giving me BSOD. So far this issue seems to be isolated to when I am playing games on the PC. I am yet to experience it when using the Helix within Ableton or any other program.

I am certain that this issue is something to do with the Helix driver and some kind of driver conflict with something else. I downloaded BlueScreenView recently to view the past 2 BSOD that I have experienced, and the first one says that the cause driver was L6PodHd2.sys and the second one was L6Helix.sys (or something similar). Between these two BSOD I updated my Helix firmware from 2.7 to 2.81, as well as installed the latest version of HX Edit (along with all the drivers). So I believe I was using older drivers when the first one occurred and newer drivers when it occurred again. I also completely reinstalled Windows between these two BSOD, as I happened to be migrating from one SSD to a new one. I was really certain that a brand new windows install would fix the issue but alas. At present, the only USB devices I have plugged in are my mouse and keyboard, which I am fairly sure should not be experiencing compatibility issues? They don't have any extra software installed on the PC to support them they just plug in and go. 

When I experienced the first BSOD, BlueScreenView said that it was caused by L6PodHd2.sys and was something to do with ntoskrnl.exe much like what BeforeTheStorm posted further up. The second BSOD instead said that it was caused by Wdf01000.sys but that it was something to do with the L6Helix.sys. I have googled both of these associated files however found no real answer.

The logical thing to do here would be to post these dmp files so that you guys can have a look, however since getting that second BSOD, I attempted to run the built in Windows Driver Varifier to  see if it could give me any useful information. After doing this it stated that it required a reboot, which I did, which caused a bootloop where by windows would BSOD every time it attempted to start, displaying the error DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION, which was just brilliant. One system restore later and I was back to where I am now, relentlessly trying to google and find a solution to this incredibly annoying issue.

However, within BlueScreenView I can see the dmp file created during this bootloop BSOD, and both the ntoskrnl.exe and Wdf01000.sys files are mentioned, as well as l6Helix_AvsFilter.sys which I haven't seen before but is clearly linked to the L6Helix.sys driver. Here is a screenshot of the program and i'll attached the dmp file if that is something I can do for people to look at.

image.thumb.png.20c27abcc6de3af2851e26442a39d854.png

So something is clearly going wrong here with the Helix drivers and it is driving me insane. It seems like there is a very small number of people also experiencing this kind of problem and as a result troubleshooting is hard. I have also seen talk of people saying that they have had compatibility issues with the Helix and their Asus motherboards, which I have, so maybe the problem lies in MB compatibility? I have updated all of my motherboard drivers as well as graphics etc, I wonder if I should try to uninstall the audio drivers that have come with the motherboard although I don't think they are the issue.

I would love some help in fixing this, surely we can pool our resources and try to get to the bottom of the issue. I haven't yet contacted L6 support however it does seem like people's experiences when doing this hasn't been very good...

My system specs are listed below:

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Intel I7 4770-K Processor

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Nvidia 660ti Graphics Card

Corsair CX600M Power Supply

Zowie FK1 Mouse

CM Storm Quickfire TK

LINE 6 HELIX EXTERNAL SOUND CARD

Helix Problem.dmp

However whenever I play games (Experienced this in Dota 2 and CS:GO), all my audio and the game will occasionally stutter. Sometimes very briefly before returning to normal, and sometimes it will grind to a halt and I will get a BSOD.

Hey I'm a gamer as well but I would "never" ever set up a PC for gaming and use it for music too, or vice versa. They are set up different audio-wise and background running-wise. Lots of info online on how to do this. Now, this may not be your current problem, but I suggest NEVER use your music/DAW OS for anything else but music. Play your games on a different bootable partition (or whole other PC) is my advice. 

8 hours ago, spikey said:

Hey I'm a gamer as well but I would "never" ever set up a PC for gaming and use it for music too, or vice versa. They are set up different audio-wise and background running-wise. Lots of info online on how to do this. Now, this may not be your current problem, but I suggest NEVER use your music/DAW OS for anything else but music. Play your games on a different bootable partition (or whole other PC) is my advice. 

Hello,

I am very keen to try and keep this thread on topic about the issues I, and others, are having. I have seen a few other threads on these forums where someone mentions "gaming" and everyone seems to lose their minds about it and the thread gets off topic.

Having said that, I don't really understand why using your PC for multiple disciplins would have any kind of detrimental effect on the system, and it certainly shouldn't be leading to issues like the ones I am having. Its not like I am editing music whilst gaming, I am obviously only ever doing one at a time. I have been gaming and making music on the same pc systems for over 10 years now and have never run into issues like this, this is clearly something to do with the L6 drivers in particular having some kind of problem.

The fact that it happens during gaming may point to the cause of these BSODs but I don't think a solution should be "don't game and make music on the same PC". There must be a better solution to this problem.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Colossal_Chaz said:

I don't really understand why using your PC for multiple disciplines would have any kind of detrimental effect on the system

There must be a better solution to this problem.

•  

Not trying to hijack the topic Chaz ; ) I just wouldn't game on my DAW. One is because I'm using a MAC for music, and game on a powerful set up for gaming PC.

Yes things have changed a little since the early 2000's I admit, and so I am stuck in the old ways of doing things (waiting for Cru to jump on this one LOL)- that said, have you looked at how to set up audio for Recordings and DAW optimization for Windows? Both systems are set up differently and optimized differently because they both have different needs. Ina DAW the video is not mission-critical as it is in gaming. You set up parameters (setting background resources for one) in a DAW that is not optimal for gamers, and the same thing is done for increasing FPS and graphics for games. Also, there is a difference in NOISE from a gaming PC versus a quiet water-cooled DAW. AND, the gaming software itself "may" cause conflicts with your music software, just like the Line-6 drivers right seem to be having issues it seems with Windows 10. Optimizing one may conflict with or slow down the other, so to speak.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to-optimize-your-windows-10-pc-for-music-production

Please understand, I'm not saying you are having issues with Windows 10 and L6 drivers strictly because of gaming on the same system. What I am saying is that every "little" thing you do "put together" will increase the performance for your audio work station.   Hope this helps a little. ; )

• 3 months later...

Had the same trouble... Just built a new PC for music production, but the helix crashes the pc every time, even without the mouse and keyboard (Rapoo, not logitech).

Tried to reinstall all the drivers but didnt work.. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:48 PM, zeller99 said:

From my own experience, this appears to be due to an issue with the Logitech GHUB software, likely an IRQ conflict. 
Exiting the software from the system tray before plugging the Helix in stopped this issue from occurring. 

Thank you mate, this fixed the issue for me on the current firmware update(2.82). wish I saw this before doing a full system wipe and clean install.

• 4 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 4:48 AM, zeller99 said:

This finally fixed it for me as well, THANK YOU 

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2019 at 7:48 AM, zeller99 said:

I know this is a year later, but you saved my Helix from going under a truck tire and BSOD on my freaking desktop. :D Thanks.

18 hours ago, jimwoodard said:

I know this is a year later, but you saved my Helix from going under a truck tire and BSOD on my freaking desktop. :D Thanks.

Now why would you take it out on the Helix?  It sounds to me like your Logitech GHub might need a couple of tire tracks across it...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 2:48 PM, zeller99 said:

This worked for me, yet to find out how to use my Ghub related headset while using Helix LT which is essential to me. I guess I'll try to work on the launch order if there is no ready made solution.