Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Eleven Rack vs Helix after using Native. Buyer help please...underwhelmed! Possible tech issues?

Griffo_

So I have had an Eleven Rack for a pretty long time and like the sounds I get from it.

I keep hearing awesome demos of the Helix so I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger, BUT...

I’ve been using my Eleven Rack as an interface to try Helix out using Helix Native (meant to sound the same, right?) and I’m feeling massively underwhelmed by it, even when using impulse responses.

I’ve purchased some Helix presets and they just don’t sound anything like they do in the YouTube videos, even when using a similar guitar and the same IR. Is this because I’m using the Eleven Rack as the interface? I boosted the input too.

Will it improve when using the Helix LT interface?

Cheers!

This has come up before and I step in doodoo every time I talk about Native not sounding like Helix does (to me),  using the "same" expensive UAD Apollo Audio Interface. In other words, I use my Helix Rack every time I record guitar and use Native only when I am inside a DAW just playing around noodling for sounds. Many others swear by Native, however, so this could be just me and or my setup. I "also" had an Eleven Rack, and liked the sounds it produced. That said, I dont think it holds a candle to Helix (or my Kemper Profiler).

On 10/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, Griffo_ said:

I’ve purchased some Helix presets and they just don’t sound anything like they do in the YouTube videos, even when using a similar guitar and the same IR. Is this because I’m using the Eleven Rack as the interface? I boosted the input too.

You're always gonna have difficulty with patches created by someone else, and it's largely the result of what you're monitoring through, and the volume at which you're doing it. Speakers are 50% of your tone, if not more. There's no way to tell from a YouTube video what was used to dial in the sounds you're hearing...studio monitors, headphones,  a traditional guitar amp, etc. etc....it all matters. The volume at which it was done is also a complete mystery, and an absolutely critical part of the equation. I've tried both free stuff from Customtone, and some purchased ones...99% were a complete waste of time and/or money. You will always have to tweak them to your rig and personal taste. 

Took delivery of my Helix LT - even the stock presets sound good. Using the unit got the feeling back when i plugged in and played. I guess I didnt have my 11R set up properly for Native. Feels like an amp when i play now, not just a VST!

It's hard to explain the feeling/sound. Sounds/feels "spongy" like a real amp. Looking forward to getting the presets i enjoyed with Native onto this and seeing how awesome they sound now I have the proper interface :D

With Native, you have to deal with round-trip latency of the audio interface and computer. Depending on how good all that is, you might experience some delay, making it feel "wrong." The hardware units don't have this problem as there is virtually no latency. There's also the issue of the input. The 11R also has a variable impedance input, but if it's not set up right, you might be getting a duller tone from the guitar than you are used to. The Helix hardware units set that up automatically by default, so you don't really have to think about it.

• 1 year later...

As someone has posted before, the volume has a huge impact on how your preset will sound. There is a simple trick in native to double split the signal to gain more overall presence and  volume increase without clipping. I had a helix flor and sold it. I bought axe fx 3. I was upset with helix not giving me the sound I want. I got my axe 3 and was happier but still could not nail my tone. After some learning curve I managed to dial it finaly. Now I am on holiday with my scarlet 2i2 interface and helix native. I realised it can sound just like axe fx 3..... Whats the trick? your ears... and knowledge on how to dial a tone from the tools you are using at that moment. What also worked for me? loading good irs and giving them around 70% to 90% into mix settings. This will give some tube air to your speaker irs. Amp settings are pretty good as they come. Maybe lower the sag, and please remember to use matched irs! What I mean by that? Grab one ir with bright sound and other with bassy/muddy and mix corectly.... on fat speaker cut around 70hz and 6khz, and bright around 120hz and 15khz. Also use some proper EQ on top of that. Honestly I have been and still am an axe fx 3 fanboy. I hated my helix. but as I wrote, after I learned some stuff I can make Helix to sound as real as a real amp cabinet setup or axe fx3. The only difference which might be hard to match are reverbs and delays. Axe has done it so much better, however if you mix some multi stereo in front of your amp befor apliting the patch and than ad some separate dealys to your splited aignal.... it will sound decnet. Im not using helix reverbs though. cheers!