Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi sync problem

philipstrauss

Hey guys,

it feels like I've read the whole internet twice, but I still did not find a solution to my problem.

I know that this topic has come up here before, but also there I could not find an answer. 

So, maybe anyone can help me:

I got a few patches with heavily time-based FX on them like pattern tremolo, seeker, etc....

Now I need to time sync these effects to our playback loops and Click coming from cubase.

First I tried sending Midi-Clock to the POD which made me find out that the POD recognizes the Tempo but it is slightly offset.

Also it seems like the POD does not recognize the position of the Beats... Meaning that when I run the playback the TapTempo might have the correct speed, but it is not sync...

I also tried sending TapTempo commands via Midi. This also does not work. First off all the Time based FX are reset to 1 when the Tap Tempo command is coming in so I can not simply keep a TapTempo-Track running with a command like every 1/4th... When I send a few TapTempo-commands before the song starts it drifts apart too much already after 20 seconds. I tried to retrigger with a single TapTempo-command every 4 bars, but this also gives weired results, sometimes it's slightly ahead, sometimes a little behind....  

Does anyone know if it is possible to fullysyncronize the POD via MIDI?

(Cubase 8 on 2017 iMac HS 10.13.6, Steinberg UR44, POD HD500X)

On 10/21/2018 at 5:54 AM, philipstrauss said:

Hey guys,

it feels like I've read the whole internet twice, but I still did not find a solution to my problem.

I know that this topic has come up here before, but also there I could not find an answer. 

So, maybe anyone can help me:

I got a few patches with heavily time-based FX on them like pattern tremolo, seeker, etc....

Now I need to time sync these effects to our playback loops and Click coming from cubase.

First I tried sending Midi-Clock to the POD which made me find out that the POD recognizes the Tempo but it is slightly offset.

Also it seems like the POD does not recognize the position of the Beats... Meaning that when I run the playback the TapTempo might have the correct speed, but it is not sync...

I also tried sending TapTempo commands via Midi. This also does not work. First off all the Time based FX are reset to 1 when the Tap Tempo command is coming in so I can not simply keep a TapTempo-Track running with a command like every 1/4th... When I send a few TapTempo-commands before the song starts it drifts apart too much already after 20 seconds. I tried to retrigger with a single TapTempo-command every 4 bars, but this also gives weired results, sometimes it's slightly ahead, sometimes a little behind....  

Does anyone know if it is possible to fullysyncronize the POD via MIDI?

(Cubase 8 on 2017 iMac HS 10.13.6, Steinberg UR44, POD HD500X)

Currently I am using a Selah Quartz Midi Clock, where I have a list of presets (each one with a different tempo) and send this clock to my POD when playing live, during song changes (in the church mostly) Knowing that this device is different than cubase, I can tell you that the tempo in my POD is slightly ahead/behind when using this MIDI Clock, there is a little difference of 1.xx- 2.xx bpm... it is not perceivable I can tell, at least for me. I have tried also a L6 M5 with this MIDI CLOCK and the result is the same. 

Now, I have learned some things. For example, keep sending the clock every 4 bars or constantly is not a good idea. I have configured my Selah Clock to send it only two times when I change every preset, that is enough to set the time for a song. Not sure if cubase can change this.