Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Footswitches for MIDI CC

smeet

I have an HX effects, so of course there are 9 blocks but only 6 footswitches to assign them to.

I want to get external footswitches that can be programmed to send MIDI CC, so I can toggle the 3 blocks that I can't get via the 6 built-in switches.

So they will need to be able to send a CC with value 127 on one click (to turn the block on) and value 0 on the next (to turn it off).

I would also like to be able to send CC 69 messages to switch snapshots while in stomp mode.

Is there a MIDI footswitch controller out there that can do this for not a lot of $$$?

Thanks!

The best combination of price, programmability, and dependability, is going to be the FCB1010 with the added UNO chip and ControlCenter Editor. There are others, some more powerful, but for your stated needs, The FCB is more than enough. With the UNO mod and editor, you're looking at $200 NEW. They're almost always available used on eBay for less.

Don't be put off by detractors who say that it's hard to program. With a basic understanding of MIDI, the UNO chip  and the ControlCenter Editor it's a piece of cake.

The biggest drawback to the FCB is size. the 2 expression pedals make it longer than the Helix, so if floorspace is limited that could be a problem. If the FCB doesn't get it for you, keep in mind while you're researching alternatives that any device without a SW editor is going to be a PITA.

34 minutes ago, soundog said:

Tech 21 Midi Mongoose. Or for cheap, build your own if you're handy and a nerd (plenty of plans online for arduino or raspberry pi circuits).

Has inputs for expression pedals, but doesn't send CCs via the buttons, therefore does little more than change programs. and so fails OP's basic requirements.

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Has inputs for expression pedals, but doesn't send CCs via the buttons, therefore does little more than change programs. and so fails OP's basic requirements.

Too bad.  But I really like the idea of building one for myself.

An Audiofront MIDI expression would do it. They take a variety of footswitches (latching or momentary) or expression pedals and turn them into MIDI controllers with programmable cc’s. The inputs are TRS so the single input version can take a two button footswitch. If you need 3 buttons you gotta buy one with more inputs. Ive used one one a Helix rack  so it’ll work for you.

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I stand corrected ... thought the Mongoose could do CCs, but no! It really surprising to me there is not a decent inexpensive programmable MIDI footswitch that will do CCs as well as PC#s.

Hadn't heard of the Audiofront stuff .... it looks decent though very limited for the money.

Years ago I bought a little circuit board (Highly Liquid's MIDI CPU) for $30 that you can configure with dozens of programmable switches, LEDs, encoders, and potentiometers and program to send just about any MIDI commands imaginable. I've used it for all sorts of projects.They aren’t selling them anymore, but a company called Livid sells a similar Brain Jr. Its USB powered and easy to configure. I think it accepts up to 16 buttons or switches. Only $50. Or if you want to dig deeper, there is a lot of info online for building Arduino controllers.

You might be able to find Version 1 of Keith McMillen's Soft Step on flea-bay for cheap (Version 2 is more popular). Its really versatile and uses a soft pad instead of *click* footswitches. But its highly programmable and has, I think, 12 buttons.

The Audiofront stuff looks good, but only one has 5pin connectors, and that has only 3 inputs. I can't find the user guide, and after installing the app it appears to do nothing without a device connected. It would be good for controlling the 3 extra blocks, but with 4 snapshots.....I also had a quick look at the forum, and I see no indication (again, I can't find the user guide) that it supports Bank Change messages, or the ability to send multiple messages with a single button press. That means that you'd have to first select the Preset on the HXFX before you could send a CC through the Audiofront to change the snapshot (lots of tap dancing) and again, only three inputs. That device alone is $139, and by the time you buy the buttons it's getting pretty expensive and still won't do what you want.

If you like to tinker, soundog's suggestions are quite do-able. Personally, while I could handle the programming, I'm hopeless with a soldering iron. Then, after you've built the board and programmed it, there's the problem of a sturdy enclosure....

The McMillen Softstep is worth looking into, smaller than the FCB, highly programmable. But a while back I had a quick look at the manual. It didn't look easy, and I don't trust the buttons. I wish someone would gift me one so I could check it out....  :-)

On the other hand, I've been using the FCB/UNO for almost 15 years, and I can tell you positively that it will do everything you specified and more. Plus you get 2 free expression pedals!

I could even provide you with an example sysex to show you how to set it up, programming is that easy. The only real problem (apart from the size) could be that while the HXFX has 128 presets, the FCB/UNO is limited to 95, configured in 19 banks of 5, plus the 5 "Stomps" which send the same messages in every bank. Do you really need more than 95 presets?

The FCB is really popular and a good deal. I owned one for awhile, its easy to set up and it for sure will never break! The only negative for me was the size and weight, so I sold it (I'm my own roady). After that I used the Softstep (still have it, actually). Its not as hard to program as it looks once you get the hang of it (plenty of online help), very versatile and its amazingly portable and light. I put little round stick on "bumpers" (like for the bottom of chair legs ,etc) on the bigger square pads to make the foot contact area smaller and more like footswitches. Never had a problem with it, but eventually replaced it with the MIDI CPU because i needed something for desktop use and linear fader pots (with a cable running to a floor footswitch box). These days I use my HX Effects for MIDI footswitching and its surprisingly programmable!

The FCB looks great, but it's pretty large - one of the reasons I got the the HX was to reduce my effects footprint.
I can change presets on the HX.  All I need is something with a few buttons that send CC messages to either switch snapshots, or toggle blocks in the HX.  The Softstep seems nice, and maybe there are some other options.  But all are somewhat too large for me.  I want to add them to the few inches of remaining free space on my pedalboard (which currently houses a Cali76 CB, HX, a Future Impact, and an SA Aftershock).  I'll have to look into all this.

I'm in the same boat as you rd2rk, I'm a programmer so the software end is fine, but hardware is more scary for me.  My daughter has done a few Arduino projects so maybe I'll enlist her help.

I can't help thinking that Line 6 should have included some inputs for extra footswitches to control the functions which they didn't have room for. 

The problem that you're always going to run into where size is concerned is that your needs call for at least 7 buttons, or 4 and a Bank switch. Unless you have teeny tiny feet, there needs to be a significant space between the buttons. That doesn't change with a DIY solution. The McMillen is 18 inches long and 4 inches wide, much smaller than the FCB, but still not tiny. How do they fit 10 buttons and a directional pad and still allow for control via normal adult size feet? Soundog's button mod sounds workable, and the McMillen website has a picture of the unit being run over by a car, so it may be sturdier than it looks! That may be your best bet. But, if real estate is as scarce as you indicate, you may be S.O.L.

As far as extra footswitch inputs go, that's what the MIDI input is for. With the stock FCB, that provides the potential equivalent of 100 additional footswitches! Plus 2 expression pedals (potential of 4 total with the 2 HX connections) and amp channel control switches. That's a lotta control!

If you can live with only being able to call 3 of your 4 presets from your external controller, here's another posibility:

https://smile.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-MIDI-over-Controller/dp/B002YL81RW/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1540327848&sr=1-2&keywords=midi+foot+controller

Programmable via app, and 2 can be used at once, giving 6 buttons and 2 exp pedal inputs. Total footprint 12"x3".

Another FCB/Mcmillen alternative:

https://smile.amazon.com/Source-Audio-Soleman-MIDI-Controller/dp/B01IO4YQUS/ref=sr_1_15?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1540327848&sr=1-15&keywords=midi+foot+controller

Has editor app, 10.5"x3.75"

Coming soon to a Bio-Tech clinic near you! MIDI control via Brain Implant! :-)

Maybe not, but why not a heads up display? Go all Top Gun!

I'm getting silly now.....

Good Luck!

I've just been having a closer look at the manual for the Source Audio Soleman:

https://media.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/SOR_SOLEMAN_manual.pdf

https://smile.amazon.com/Source-Audio-Soleman-MIDI-Controller/dp/B01IO4YQUS/ref=sr_1_15?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1540327848&sr=1-15&keywords=midi+foot+controller

This is a very interesting unit that I somehow never saw before. If it's not too big - 10.5x3.5 - it could be your solution!

I might have to get one myself!

HX Effects accepts MIDI via USB or 5-pin DIN, but it looks like a USB B port on the Logidy, though. No hosting, only a peripheral. You could use it with a cheap USB host module, but that would add $30 or so, and gets more complicated.

35 minutes ago, smeet said:

Sadly the Logidy only has USB output, and runs off USB power.  I don't think that will work with the HX, will it?
The Soleman does sound good.  Source Audio does some great stuff, I'll have to check it out.

You're right, I didn't notice that.

31 minutes ago, soundog said:

HX Effects accepts MIDI via USB or 5-pin DIN, but it looks like a USB B port on the Logidy, though. No hosting, only a peripheral. You could use it with a cheap USB host module, but that would add $30 or so, and gets more complicated.

Would require something like this:

http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

to make it work.

EDIT: Where did you see a midi host for $30? I want it!

....this is the midi host board I use. Works great. Just add power, a DIN connector and a couple of resistors: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-mini

or this newer version:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v2 

be sure to order the "MIDI Device" version (boot loader).

other handy stuff at hobbytronics:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter