Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Class Compliance (Linux Audio Interface)?

lavadisco

I see that the Helix is fully audio/midi class compliant, but I have yet to find a definitive statement from Line 6 that the HX Stomp is as well. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? And if so, has anyone successfully used one as an audio interface in a Linux environment?

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

A better question would be has anyone ever done anything successfully in a Linux environment? ;)

I understand why you'd ask that question, but in fact Linux audio has been quite doable for some time now and has been my *only* music OS for about 4 years. There is a significant community of Linux audio users as well. I'm running Tracktion 8 with multiple audio interfaces, USB midi connections to multiple hardware synths, using any existing VST plugins in addition to quite a few Linux-only plugins. And all with low latency. There are definitely some quirks, but once you sort it out it's rock solid. Pretty much any audio interface that's class compliant will work for low-latency recording on Linux; just gotta figure out if the HX Stomp can do it!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lavadisco said:

There are definitely some quirks, but once you sort it out it's rock solid. Pretty much any audio interface that's class compliant will work for low-latency recording on Linux; just gotta figure out if the HX Stomp can do it!

And therein lies the devil in the donut shop.

"Sorting it all out" is fun for Linux fans, but the reason that most musos use Windows and Apple is that someone else already sorted it out for us. Not that our systems don't have problems, but getting the basics up and running doesn't require a lot of technical reading on subjects that differ from distro to distro. And the community of users willing to help out is HUGE!

Don't get me wrong, if it works for you, great. But every time I've looked into it (going back to mid 90s, and I'm a former IT guy), my takeaway is always "STILL not ready for prime time!"

When a non-technical user can install any major DAW or standalone audio program he wants and be up and running in a couple of hours, I'll dump Windows in a heartbeat! The reason that ain't ever gonna happen is inherent in the heart of Linux - the OpenSource model. There's no money in writing SW for Linux that would create a market for it, and the difficulty of using what the community creates further restricts the market to people who like to tinker with the internals and SW idealists. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not a commercially viable model.

Trust me when I say that I WISH it were different- every time MS does a major update I'm holding my breath.......!

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, mellowtone said:

Making the Stomp class compliant would be very much appreciated indeed. I got mine in January and while I love using the unit in itself I was quite disappointed when I realized it wouldn't work under Linux.

Pretty sure it IS class-compliant.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to debug this.

when I connect the HX stomp (or helix) I get

[  322.404503] usb 1-6: new high-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[  322.531804] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=0e41, idProduct=4246, bcdDevice= 2.00
[  322.531806] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=2
[  322.531806] usb 1-6: Product: HX Stomp
[  322.531807] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: LINE 6
[  322.531808] usb 1-6: SerialNumber:    3021888
[  322.535789] usb 1-6: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to retrieve number of sample rates (clock 16)
[  322.535907] usb 1-6: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to retrieve number of sample rates (clock 16)

There's a beginning of a patch here

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10113121/

I also raised the question to line6 support (not hoping to get anything) and on alsa mailing list

If someone has some ideas I'm here

Cheers

Nick

Here is the response that I got from Line6 regarding Helix / HX Stomp Linux support (nice quick response!)

Customer Service

09:02 (13 minutes ago)

========= Message from  =========

Hello nick83ola. Your Line 6 Support Ticket was updated with the following message:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in our products. In order for your feedback to reach the right people, we ask that you submit your comments, ideas, and suggestions to our IdeaScale site where ideas are voted on, with commentary, sometimes by the Product Managers themselves:
http://line6.ideascale.com/.

We take your feedback very seriously and we appreciate the time you take to help us create quality products.

Best regards,

I suggest everyone that is using Linux and want t use HX Stomp / Helix on it to register there and open ticket for Linux support :-)
Edited by nick83ola
Updates
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello. I just tried Helix Stomp with Ubuntu 19.10 and it worked great.  In Ardour 5.12, I set sample rate to 48k and the interface to the stomp.  Did a quick multi-track audio recording of guitar through headphones, all in sync. 

After a few more minutes of messing around I was also able to get midi clock to sync tempo from ardour to stomp.  So for me it works and I’m happy with this and it’s good to know this is an option if my 2015 Macbook ever kicks it.  

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I managed to get sound out of my HX Stomp using kernel 5.4.0-0.

The recording quality is very good but somehow the playback sound is plain horrible: lots of distortion and other artifacts.

I didn't dig much into in, its great to see that it's possible to make it work :)

I'll stick with my HD500X for now: I love the input versatility.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...