Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi controls yet ?

rsvette12

Found this from another forum - might be worth a try

A much simpler method to control Helix Native (and no other plug-ins required) if your DAW supports controller assignments, is to simply assign controls to plug-in parameters. Logic Pro X supports this, for example; here's how:
Set up your channel strip with Helix Native as a plug in. 
Set up your Helix control assignments (e.g., Knob 1 for Wah position), then return to Helix Edit mode to show the parameter controls.
Go into Logic’s Controller Assignments, Easy Mode (under Logic Pro X pull down menu).
Select Learn mode, move your HN Wah Position slider (Logic will learn and show “Parameter: Helix Native Knob 1â€
Move your expression (“wahâ€) pedal. (Logic will learn the MIDI channel and CC for that pedal. Use Expert view to edit min/max, etc).

Had a play with this, and Logic's Controller Assignments window is, I think, a better place to set up your MIDI controller mapping than Smart Controls. I find Smart Controls limiting in terms of layout for Helix Native Switches (its OK for Knobs, though). And, as mentioned, I've only use Snapshot Index with automation, so haven't actually tried direct MIDI control via a CC momentary switch — but it should work. 

• Like 1

soundog: I think you're correct here. I have tried both ways but ultimately felt that I needed to place the greatest emphasis toward the Controller Assignment window as you could see in my attached image.  I still get virtually the same poor results each time I try a different combination of settings. I will either get the situation where only one button cycles through the Snapshots with each click, and none of the other buttons do anything, or I may happen to use a setting that yields zero results. I just can't find a way to get an action out of each button for each Snapshot, and I'm still here working on it.

I did notice (as I'm sure you did) that when I program it through Smart Controls (as you do) it very neatly divides a knob into 8 sectors. I really thought I was onto something when I noticed this but there is just no apparent way to translate that to the foot controller switches. It's just not fair that rsvette12's setup is working while mine is not!  After all I am a much better person than he is!  I'm kidding. He has been a real trooper and has gone above and beyond in trying to help me get to the bottom of this.  We need more guys like him (and you of course) who are willing to take an active interest in helping others and sharing their knowledge. Thanks again for your continued help! Happy New Year.  

39 minutes ago, Petes63Strat said:

soundog: I think you're correct here. I have tried both ways but ultimately felt that I needed to place the greatest emphasis toward the Controller Assignment window as you could see in my attached image.  I still get virtually the same poor results each time I try a different combination of settings. I will either get the situation where only one button cycles through the Snapshots with each click, and none of the other buttons do anything, or I may happen to use a setting that yields zero results. I just can't find a way to get an action out of each button for each Snapshot, and I'm still here working on it.

I did notice (as I'm sure you did) that when I program it through Smart Controls (as you do) it very neatly divides a knob into 8 sectors. I really thought I was onto something when I noticed this but there is just no apparent way to translate that to the foot controller switches. It's just not fair that rsvette12's setup is working while mine is not!  After all I am a much better person than he is!  I'm kidding. He has been a real trooper and has gone above and beyond in trying to help me get to the bottom of this.  We need more guys like him (and you of course) who are willing to take an active interest in helping others and sharing their knowledge. Thanks again for your continued help! Happy New Year.  

You are better than me Pete :) and Soundog of course - thanks for kind words Pete

*Update: This works but can be finicky in Log Pro since the DAW will often forget these controller settings from project to project. Still not 100% happy here.

soundog:  I finally got my HxN Snapshots to properly change via the Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 floor controller with Logic Pro DAW. It working!  In the end it was a simple but counter intuitive step that made it work. I first had to experiment for hours with the midi settings within the Rig 3 unit. Then I added one step to the way I was using the learn feature in Logic Pro. I have a feeling that it was this step in Logic that made it work as many of the midi settings in the Rig 3 should have actually worked sooner:  While in the Learn mode of Logic Pro, I would choose the Snapshot drop-down from within Helix Native. This would then be reflected in the Logic Learn window and was waiting confirmation with some action on the controller. The next step should be to simply hit one of the switches on the controller, look for it to confirm in the Learn window and then disable Learn but, this never worked. So, out of frustration, I tried it this way: While in the Learn mode of Logic Pro, I chose the Snapshot drop-down from within Helix Native. This was then reflected in the Logic Learn window. Now, instead of hitting just one switch on the controller, I hit all 6 switched (those that I wanted to use to control 6 snapshots, one right after the other) and THEN closed out of the Lean mode. It worked. It shouldn't but it did.

To be sure, I cleared all the settings, went through it 3 more times and it worked each and every time. I then saved my Rig 3 midi file and sent it to rsvette12 to load into his unit and it worked for him. He even found improvements over his original settings. I know this is an odd combination of parts that might not apply to many other players out there but I must say that I love this setup, just as rsvette12 suggested that I would. Its built in audio interface, expression pedal and 8 lighted switches in a rock solid case for the price is a deal.

Here is a screen-shot of my Rig 3 controller settings. For those interested: Just replicate these settings for as many switches as you will be using for your HxN snapshots but with one change. The value fields (both) must be set like this for the individual switches:

4  for switch #1

20 for switch #2

36 for switch #3

52 for switch #4

68 for switch #5

86 for switch #6

etc.

Thanks again for your help along the way. Happy New Year. 

Screenshot 2019-01-06 07.29.54.png

• Like 1

soundog: This may be off topic so if you can, please point me to a proper discussion about this as I can't find one:

I understand that Helix Native has a given amount of processing power as a plugin. This is evident when I start to see some features greyed-out as I try to add one too many blocks.  My question is this: If I have several guitar tracks in their raw form (not mixed down), and I have the Helix plugin FX on each track, does Helix see this as 'one big plugin' straining Helix, or is it only a strain on my Mac's ability to process multiples of the plugin?  I have a Mac Pro with 2x 2.66 Ghz 6-core Xeon, 48 Gb 1333 Mhz DDR3 Ecc Ram with all SSD drives so if it is the computer that suffered the load I would hope that my setup can handle it. I might know the answer to this but I want to confirm it with someone who is experienced in these matters.

I am loving my Hxn so thanks again for your early assistance with setting me up! 

Separate uses of HXN on separate tracks will create a bigger load on your CPU. Your computer is pretty powerful though, so can probably take the load — but it will, of course, depend on how many tracks you're running and what plugs in you're using in addition to HXN (especially virtual instruments). If you start to run low on horsepower you can do the usual Logic Pro tricks and workarounds; e.g. increase your buffer size when mixing, select a blank track when in the arrange window, freeze tracks if necessary, etc.

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2018 at 3:53 AM, russ5254 said:

hi rsvette12,

i am using helix native v1.6+ reaper + line6 fbv shortboard+ iD4 interface

My FBV footswitches are programmed to change snapshots (see the MIDI CC# and values assignment in the pic).

I use only 6 switches  because some of the others are used for changing presets and arming/selecting tracks.

I use this rig live.

1. So you need to program your footswitches by  assigning each of them to CC#69  (i used to use CC#50 and it works too) and send out a single value.

e.g. assign:

footswitch1 CC#69 value:4 - this calls up snapshot 1

footswitch2 CC#69 value:20 - this calls up snapshot 2

footswitch3 CC#69 value:36 - this calls up snapshot 3

footswitch4 CC#69 value:52- this calls up snapshot 4

and so on... because snapshot1 CC values range from 0 to 15, snapshot 2 values is from 15 to 31... etc... interval of 16 (128values/8snapshots=16)

From your screen shots it looks like Rig Control editor may allow you to custom assign CC3 and values.

2. in reaper, on your track1 FX window go to "param"->"learn"->"snapshot index",  and the MIDI learn window will appear .

3. step on any of the footswitches so that reaper detects CC#69.

4. your footswitches now control snapshots depending on how you programmed them.

i guess some of the steps above you probably know (like the MIDI learn part) but just thought i'd share it for completeness sake.

hope this works for u.

fbv-helix-assign.PNG

Russ let me know if your around please few questions - thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas why my Logic Pro X is not detecting my HX Effects and auto assigning controllers?  I have tested the midid signal using MIDI monitor and all signals are being detected.  If I go through the learn process in Logic's Controller assign window it detects a button press but HX Native is not receiving any midi.