Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Brad Paisley

perhenning5

Hey Guys,

I trying to get that typical Paisley sound (ex. All i want was a car) that song and many others he has that typical kind of sound. (Dr. Z) I have tried all kinds of sounds on the board, but they are a little bit to crunchy, how do i get that dry punchy sound...?? I have an Fender Telecaster Paisley road worn on this. 

Well you might describe that as a "dry" sound - but most of us wouldn't!

I just put up a Interstate Zed - pulled the drive down to around 3  - using the default cab and it started to be in the ballpark - I pulled the bass down and then stuck a Cali EQ in front of the amp - but that part was to make my Strat sound a bit more Tele. 

So you will need to make your Drive so that it's got just that bit of bite - I needed to pull the Bass down a fair bit too.

Then you can clearly hear compression on the notes - so I stuck a compressor - I used the Kinky Comp - but some of the others might squash your Tele better - I'm doing this quick and dirty.

Then I can hear what is almost slapback echo - so I put a Simple Delay after the cab - time maybe 200ms Mix to taste - say 20%

It's already getting close for me.

You're playing a Tele - playing around with that should get closer.

I have standard High and low cuts too - but we haven't discussed your rig, so I can't comment on how that should be set for your system.

Pretty much the same configuration for me as what rvroberts describes, other than the corrections to get his strat more tele like.

Using a Tele Elite I had similar drive and lower bass requirements.  The trick was getting the compressor correct.  I used the Deluxe compressor with fairly aggressive compression which is really necessary to get the hybrid picking technique he uses to sound consistent volume-wise.  I did use the parametric EQ at the end of my chain to slice off some highs and lows and to take a notch out a small area around 4.2 Khz by about -2 db (Q of about 4) which gave it some fullness rather than all twang, but this was going through a Yamaha DXR12, so your results may be different depending on your setup.

4 hours ago, perhenning5 said:

Hey Guys,

I trying to get that typical Paisley sound (ex. All i want was a car) that song and many others he has that typical kind of sound. (Dr. Z) I have tried all kinds of sounds on the board, but they are a little bit to crunchy, how do i get that dry punchy sound...?? I have an Fender Telecaster Paisley road worn on this. 

Also, make sure you’re using a warmer mic setting, or warm IR, then pull frequencies back as needed via EQ.  The helix mic model placements are all centered in the cone I believe.   A ribbon mic would smooth out the highs for less of that crunchy sound you’re talking about. 

As another amp option, try the derailed ingrid model too.  Drop the master and the drive to around 4.  Put a pretty strong compressor in front of it too. Then use eq’s to smooth everything out.  

3 hours ago, rvroberts said:

Well you might describe that as a "dry" sound - but most of us wouldn't!

I just put up a Interstate Zed - pulled the drive down to around 3  - using the default cab and it started to be in the ballpark - I pulled the bass down and then stuck a Cali EQ in front of the amp - but that part was to make my Strat sound a bit more Tele. 

So you will need to make your Drive so that it's got just that bit of bite - I needed to pull the Bass down a fair bit too.

Then you can clearly hear compression on the notes - so I stuck a compressor - I used the Kinky Comp - but some of the others might squash your Tele better - I'm doing this quick and dirty.

Then I can hear what is almost slapback echo - so I put a Simple Delay after the cab - time maybe 200ms Mix to taste - say 20%

It's already getting close for me.

You're playing a Tele - playing around with that should get closer.

I have standard High and low cuts too - but we haven't discussed your rig, so I can't comment on how that should be set for your system.

Thanx a lot. I got the sound i wanted...and i had to tweek the treble as well to get the right sound i was looking for, and i was pretty satisfied with the 57 mic. Back home, i run this through a JBL active monitor, just to get the sound. Live, straight into the mixer, and we have such a big JBL PA system, so I'm not worried about that. Simple Delay works just fine for a slapback delay. 

I got the picture of how i should do it now to get that kind of sound, so thanx again