Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest version of Variax Sounds??

48 minutes ago, soundscore said:

I have a jtv-69 I bought 5 years ago. I figured Line 6 must have created new models in

the interim. All I see is a 2012 update...so any suggestions? I thought there would

be new better sounds.

thanks in advance...

They debuted in 2010...for a tech- heavy product, that's ancient. Haven't been any new models in 4+ years... so don't hold your breath. Without knowing what firmware you have installed, it's impossible to tell if you've got the latest HD models or not. So there may or may not be stuff that's "new" to you... but even if there is, realistically it's still old news. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klangmaler said:

...found version 2.23 (released 4/26/18)...

Yes, but aside from a bug fix or OS compatibility update, there's nothing in it...they didn't even bother with release notes because there's nothing to talk about. Last time the models changed was 2014, and that's not  a criticism... it just is. Like the POD, the current Variax platform is getting old. It doesn't surprise me that there hasn't been anything new for a while. It's a virtual certainty that whatever will dethrone the current Variax stuff has been in the works for some time. 

Newbie, so sorry if dim . . . . quote from notes on updating: " Be sure to backup any custom presets that you may have for future reference; however, note that Variax 1.X presets will not work with the 2.0 firmware."

I want to update a JTV59 from 1.71 to latest HD/workbench - surely the above can't mean that my own presets (being presumably 1.X) won't work any more??

I guess it means the factory preset sounds won't work, and will be substituted by the new HD ones - I'm not going anywhere near any monkeys until I know I'm not going to be redesigning over 80 presets (!) . . .  help please?

Cheers, Weedsy

Edited by weedsy
this is a "doh" moment - presets as above is the same name as all my Helix settings - confusion reigns (unless the new Variax sounds are so different I'll have to redo the Helix patches?) Sorry!

On 10/24/2018 at 10:58 PM, soundscore said:

I have a jtv-69 I bought 5 years ago. I figured Line 6 must have created new models in

the interim. All I see is a 2012 update...so any suggestions? I thought there would

be new better sounds.

thanks in advance...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24065.0

A total better new world

weedsy,...

Afraid that is the case. There is no portability of original model patches to the HD world. Once you

update to v2.00 or higher, the old patches won't work.

Save the old Workbench to an archive medium, back-ups for the back-ups, as a general rule of thumb. 

Many thanks for that, psarkissian - sadly, I don't have the "old" Workbench (it was three computers ago, and I never used it) but I downloaded the 1.73 Workbench and 1.77 Line Monkey (didn't have that one either) apps the other day - only because I couldn't do the update without them (!).  

Can I download the "old" one just to take backups as you suggest before I use the current one as the second stage of the update? Or will the 1.73 make the backups? On the other hand, as this gets more complicated, and as an elderly bear of little brain, I may just soldier on with the old patches . . . . . . love what computers can do - hate doing stuff that could mean they never work again!

Old Workbench is available for PC up to Windows 8, and Mac up to 10.8 Mountain Lion.

When updating, a message comes up asking if you want to save patches. Unfortunately,

it's just the patches and not the Alt Tunes. If the patch itself has a different tuning other than

standard tuning, that would be saved as part of the patch.