Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WHY we see noone using just helix in premierguitar rig rundowns?

tearitupbaby

I suspect that those they interview had taken some time to develop their unique "tone identity" and that this was prior to the advent of the Helix.   Once developed, it tends to be "why mess with a good thing" or "don't fix what ain't broke".    Some love to reinvent their sound periodically and others may want to update to reduce gear complexity, but this might be more of an exception rather than the rule.   Also it's a point in time review, it may be that many are already embracing Helix but had not yet fully utilized it in their performances yet and so spoke of their earlier gear.

I suspect you'll start seeing more Helix as players working with Helix move into the famous and not so famous recognition from PremierGuitar and other publications.  

18 hours ago, tearitupbaby said:

many of these bands dont have that from what i see on premierguitar rig rundown-many are smaller acts

I hate to break it to you, but you don't see roadies in that video series because they're not exactly what you'd call the "featured attraction"... Now for me, the only thing I like better than watching my favorite players talk about their gear, is meeting Jeff The Roadie for 4 1/2 seconds.. I think I'm in the minority on that one, but I digress. 

Just because you didn't see any roadies on camera, doesn't mean they're not there. And while I'm sure there's the odd exception, any band doing significant touring has somebody helping haul gear, even if it's just a buddy from high school who's getting paid in free beer.

On a side note, I would like to extend my compliments for what is a very refreshing and imaginative approach to beating the "modelers aren't good enough yet" drum... Without actually saying it, you manage to get the point across clear as day, while simultaneously leaving the door wide open for instant "That's not what I said!" backpedaling...that's tough to do convincingly. Cloaking the underlying sentiment inside a separate "innocent" question is a sound strategy, but in this case it's a bit too transparent. "A" for effort, though.  ;)

thanx phill i missed that one.  I wish the helix effects were good enough to lose the big sky/big theory though. And why not just the hx effects if he isnt using the models of amps?? What i was looking for is a player on these rig setups that just has the helix FOR EVERYTHING.  That would be interesting to see is all i am saying. Right into the FOH.

You also have to remember something.... 

2 things, actually. 

1. Guys in "famous" bands, usually have a 'tone' they are known for. They don't need to model 20 amps because they are known for their tone from X. In some cases, they do model, but they use the brand specific model - like a Marshall preamp that runs into a flat system instead of using an actual Marshall amp. I mean, would Slash ever need to use a Fender Amp tone? Seems like a waste of money for him to buy a modeler. 

But, probably more importantly is: 

2. Money. Budweiser and BC Rich. They are the reason I can afford to buy things that sparkle. 

I was paid to play BC Rich guitars. They quit paying me, they quit giving me guitars for free, I quit playing them. It has been over 20 years since I was paid to play them, and in those 20+ years, would you like to know how many I have bought or owned ---- NONE. I have not owned a single BC Rich since 1990-whatever year it actually was. Probably 94 or 95. But for almost a decade, I played BC Rich guitars 90% of the night. And I was seen drinking from a Budweiser bottle while standing in front of Budweiser banners... but I hate beer. Always have. Beer is nasty. I would never be able to hang out with Justice Kavanaugh. But the advertising made me a rich man. 

If you want to see who plays modelers, particularly multi-effect modelers, you need to come down a level of famous. Come down to the guys that you go "oh, yeah, ok, I remember them now". Because no one is paying them to play anything anymore. 

And you need to look at the guys who back the famous solo artists. 

Who plays guitar for Lady Gaga? Who plays guitar for Justin Timberlake? I don't know their names. But they are required to have a ton of different tones and effects, and they need to be 100% accurate every night, and they need to run IEMs instead of amps. 

Mid-level has-beens like Tantric or Trapt. They no longer play large venues or travel with large trucks or huge crews. They use modelers. 

Those guys that play in touring "revues" - like when the 50's Doo-Wop comes down to the local theatre. All of the big "shoo be doo wah" bands sing 3 songs and then the next great act comes out - the backing band stays the same all night while the singers change. They are using modelers. 

American Idol. Dancing with The Stars. All digital. Maybe some little amps as monitors or just for looks, but you hear the direct tone. 

2 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

You also have to remember something.... 

2 things, actually. 

1. Guys in "famous" bands, usually have a 'tone' they are known for. They don't need to model 20 amps because they are known for their tone from X. In some cases, they do model, but they use the brand specific model - like a Marshall preamp that runs into a flat system instead of using an actual Marshall amp. I mean, would Slash ever need to use a Fender Amp tone? Seems like a waste of money for him to buy a modeler. 

But, probably more importantly is: 

2. Money. Budweiser and BC Rich. They are the reason I can afford to buy things that sparkle. 

I was paid to play BC Rich guitars. They quit paying me, they quit giving me guitars for free, I quit playing them. It has been over 20 years since I was paid to play them, and in those 20+ years, would you like to know how many I have bought or owned ---- NONE. I have not owned a single BC Rich since 1990-whatever year it actually was. Probably 94 or 95. But for almost a decade, I played BC Rich guitars 90% of the night. And I was seen drinking from a Budweiser bottle while standing in front of Budweiser banners... but I hate beer. Always have. Beer is nasty. I would never be able to hang out with Justice Kavanaugh. But the advertising made me a rich man. 

If you want to see who plays modelers, particularly multi-effect modelers, you need to come down a level of famous. Come down to the guys that you go "oh, yeah, ok, I remember them now". Because no one is paying them to play anything anymore. 

And you need to look at the guys who back the famous solo artists. 

Who plays guitar for Lady Gaga? Who plays guitar for Justin Timberlake? I don't know their names. But they are required to have a ton of different tones and effects, and they need to be 100% accurate every night, and they need to run IEMs instead of amps. 

Mid-level has-beens like Tantric or Trapt. They no longer play large venues or travel with large trucks or huge crews. They use modelers. 

Those guys that play in touring "revues" - like when the 50's Doo-Wop comes down to the local theatre. All of the big "shoo be doo wah" bands sing 3 songs and then the next great act comes out - the backing band stays the same all night while the singers change. They are using modelers. 

American Idol. Dancing with The Stars. All digital. Maybe some little amps as monitors or just for looks, but you hear the direct tone. 

Thanx for that info.         I expect the same is here on these forums and thegearpage forum and others with regard to line 6/fractal/boss ect giving some of the posters  free gear ir somehow being affiliated with the company whether diectly working for them or indirectly as beta testers or given free gear.That would make a huge difference as even if they werent thrilled with the item they would likely say so just to stay in that loop and get free gear and perks. Its sad but its true. Not only in guitar gear but across the board. 

So i understand this last posters points and they make sence. Also know this post will get the "known "" posters here to deny and likely not admit if its true or if they work for line 6 in any capacity or are affiliated in any way. Some are upfront about that and to them thanx for being upfront. Now this is across companies and not just line 6 I speak of. I am sure boss and fractal and fender and others have their "plants" and hidden agenda posters too. Hec its even on youtube in many diff topics there are shills and fakes and cointel posters skewing everything. 

I think by the manner of replies by these people you can tell over time . Anyhow thanx for that last post. I remember when b.c. rich was hot stuff back in those days- I had a mockingbird but it was just too heavy for me but a decent guitar.