Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MXR Phase 100 sound?

Phase100

Hello. Has anyone created an MXR Phase 100 patch for the Helix?

I'm awaiting an HX Stomp, due in November, and one of the first sounds I'll need is this classic pedal.

Looking to re-create the first and third voicings (see attached image).

Thanks for any beginner tips or existing patch downloads.

Phase 100.jpg

Sorry to say this... but the Deluxe Phaser is by far one of the worst effects in the Helix... Sounds nothing like a vintage phaser nor like those digital new ones offered by competitors such as Boss or Digitech... IMHO the Phaser is the most neglected effect in the whole unit even though the addition of the Legacy Effects brought some of the magic back.  I really like how the modulation in the Jet Fuzz and the Searchlights reverb sound... but there`s no way you can use both of them without added distortion or overtones while trying to play some clean funky 70`s disco music. I`m still expecting something like the Boss Ph1-r or the Roland Jet Phaser with feedback and mix controls to be added in future updates. I already have a Boss PH-3 but it`s not able to reproduce the magic of the old Ph1-r without sucking tone. It seems most musicians don`t enjoy that swooshy trippy sounds as much as I do... And it has become impossible to get a hold of those old green pedals down here in South America... Ben Adrian has a nice challenge there... opening up that little box and model it until it sounds super groovy.

I already own the Small Stone reissue, the Bad Stone reissue and a Dedalo Mod-5 Lunar Phaser, but can`t still believe that a $1500 multi fx processor doesn´t have a decent digital multi-stage phaser such as the ones available in the Fractal AX8.

I don`t mean to go overboard with my comments... But I have never seen anyone using the Deluxe Phaser in any of the videos posted on Youtube by renowned Helix users... 

Do you forum people agree? 

Sorry to hear the Deluxe Phaser is weak. I have seen the HX Stomp manual and agree there should be more vintage phasers in the pedal. I just joined the Helix Ideascale forum. Would it be worth requesting more phasers there? Or are users on their own for creating new sounds?

4 hours ago, BAmartin said:

Sorry to say this... but the Deluxe Phaser is by far one of the worst effects in the Helix... Sounds nothing like a vintage phaser nor like those digital new ones offered by competitors such as Boss or Digitech... IMHO the Phaser is the most neglected effect in the whole unit even though the addition of the Legacy Effects brought some of the magic back.  I really like how the modulation in the Jet Fuzz and the Searchlights reverb sound... but there`s no way you can use both of them without added distortion or overtones while trying to play some clean funky 70`s disco music. I`m still expecting something like the Boss Ph1-r or the Roland Jet Phaser with feedback and mix controls to be added in future updates. I already have a Boss PH-3 but it`s not able to reproduce the magic of the old Ph1-r without sucking tone. It seems most musicians don`t enjoy that swooshy trippy sounds as much as I do... And it has become impossible to get a hold of those old green pedals down here in South America... Ben Adrian has a nice challenge there... opening up that little box and mod it until it sounds super groovy.

I already own the Small Stone reissue, the Bad Stone reissue and a Dedalo Mod-5 Lunar Phaser, but can`t still believe that a $1500 multi fx processor doesn´t have a decent digital multi-stage phaser such as the ones available in the Fractal AX8.

I don`t mean to go overboard with my comments... But I have never seen anyone using the Deluxe Phaser in any of the videos posted on Youtube by renowned Helix users... 

Do you forum people agree? 

I'll admit I'm not a huge phaser fanatic.  Most of the stuff I play only requires the MXR 90 at the most and that was always more than satisfying. Before I suggested it I fiddled around with the Deluxe Phaser and it seemed to allow for a lot of unusual solid sounds, but again, where I'm not a phaser nut I wouldn't claim to be the best judge of sound here.

Certainly ideascale is always a great starting point. I did a quick search and it looks like you're not the first to wish for this. The more who request it I suppose the more likely it happens.

I added my request to the phaser thread in Ideascale. It's the first phaser request in more than 2 years, so I'm guessing it won't be fulfilled anytime soon. When my HX Stomp arrives, I'll do the best I can with what's in it. If I don't like it, the pedal will go back. Lack of a great phaser would be a deal breaker. 

44 minutes ago, Phase100 said:

I added my request to the phaser thread in Ideascale. It's the first phaser request in more than 2 years, so I'm guessing it won't be fulfilled anytime soon. When my HX Stomp arrives, I'll do the best I can with what's in it. If I don't like it, the pedal will go back. Lack of a great phaser would be a deal breaker. 

If it doesn't work, come back and explain what it was missing/couldn't do if you can.  I'm always interested in learning more about what people are creating, how, etc. To me a 16 stage phaser like the deluxe has is mind boggling. I couldn't even figure out why I'd want so many choices or what choices might be missing,  but to others that's preschool.

• 2 weeks later...

My HX Stomp arrived yesterday. I actually like the Deluxe Phaser. It's not the same as a Phase 100, but set on 10 stages it's close enough for gigs and practice. I might keep the MXR for recording. I'm using it for bass, and the Deluxe Phaser retains the low end. The Script phaser doesn't.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 11:44 AM, Phase100 said:

Sorry to hear the Deluxe Phaser is weak. I have seen the HX Stomp manual and agree there should be more vintage phasers in the pedal. I just joined the Helix Ideascale forum. Would it be worth requesting more phasers there? Or are users on their own for creating new sounds?

The Deluxe Phaser being "weak" is purely subjective. I really like the Deluxe Phaser and use it in most of my presets. I would wait until you hear it yourself before you come to your own conclusion. 

I agree... Being the author of that comment I know that good or bad quality effects are entirely subjective. Thing is I always compare Line 6 models with other pedals or modelers available in the market. I tend to like over-the-top modulation effects mostly digital like the ones offered by Roland and Digitech. The Boss PH-3 is considered useless by many musicians for being "other worldly" and plain unusable in a band context. Nonetheless, I love it. I've been targeting the Digitech Hardwire during the last month, but it'd be my fifth phaser and I running out of room and storage in my little apartment. I'd be really happy if the guys modeled the Roland Jet Phaser or the Boss Ph1-r. Two classic beauties from the 70's that would put an end to the Phaser discussion on the forum.

Greetings to everyone of you!!!

3 hours ago, jbuhajla said:

The Deluxe Phaser being "weak" is purely subjective. I really like the Deluxe Phaser and use it in most of my presets. I would wait until you hear it yourself before you come to your own conclusion. 

FYI: In fairness.... the OP came back when he received the unit and said he actually really likes the Deluxe Phaser. That post is directly above yours!

OP here again. After messing with the Deluxe Phaser some more, I still like it. Set at 10 to 12 stages, it gets close to the middle settings on the Phase 100. Around 14-16 stages it gets deeper like the most extreme setting on the Phase 100.

Here's what I have:

Rate 0.3Hz | Depth 3.0 | Offset 4.0 | Feedback 25% | Wave: Sine | Mix 50% | Stages 10 | Spread 10 | Level -1.5dB 

Again, this does not sound exactly like a Phase 100, but it's in the ballpark. I also found a setting more like the Retro-Sonic, which is 4 stages like a Phase 90. I'm not really all that picky. I just like a fat phaser sound that retains the low end. 

For the record, I rather like the Boss PH-3 too on its 10-stage setting. Not quite enough low end for bass, but it's a great phaser. Another unsung hero is the old TC Electronic TC XII. I had one in my guitar rig back in the '80s and got lots of swooshy mileage out of it.

• Like 1