Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Those The Mic Input On X3 Or Hd500,or Hd500x Really Works?

xaelgt

I don't know if there are videos specifically on the mic inputs, but here's how they are used:

- you need to use dynamic mics, not condenser mics. None of the devices you list provide the phantom power required for condenser mics.

- connect the mic cable to the MIC input on the device

- select Mic as an input for the preset on the device. For X3 select Mic as either Tone 1 or Tone 2 input. For Pod HD select Mic as Input 1 or Input 2.

- adjust the Trim knob on device to get a good signal level. This knob is beside the MIC input.

- apply your desired amp/FX processing for the mic channel on the device.

• 8 months later...

I wonder if this would generate a nasty feedback loop. We know that feedback for vocalists occurs when the vocal mic picks up its own signal from the PA speaker; just try standing in front of the speaker with the mic pointed at it when singing!

I know the setup you describe is different in the sense that the mic is not picking up its own signal through the amp's speaker, but the same sort of signal double-processing could occur in the HD500 preset setup. You may be able to avoid it by ensuring that you use a dual-path setup in the HD500 that keeps the mic and guitar signals completely separate.

I wonder if this would generate a nasty feedback loop. We know that feedback for vocalists occurs when the vocal mic picks up its own signal from the PA speaker; just try standing in front of the speaker with the mic pointed at it when singing!

This is true but it will only be a couple of offending frequencies that cause it. With a Specetral Anaylizer (you can get them on a tablet or phone) and good EQ (31 band perferred to get to narrow Qs) you can lower just the problem frequeices and get so you can just about lay the mic on the speaker and have zero feedback. 

You'll only get feedback if the signal coming out of the HD ends up coming out the amp (only to be fed back into the HD again). I think the main issue will be some comb filtering if the two signals are ever combined due to different delays - guitar thru an external amp and guitar straight into the HD. If you keep the signals separated L/R all the way thru then this should go away as well.

• 2 years later...

I am still completely confused on how to do this. I have a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with a Marshall 412 cab. I have a chain set up for a good rhythm tone and wish to record onto my recording software. I just bought a Shure sm57 mic. and have plugged into the MIC IN and when I record there is nothing. No sound at all. I only want to record guitar and bass, I have EZDrummer2 so drums are no problem. I have looked at every forum many times and watched all relevant videos many times as well and still nothing. I dont know what I;m missing.

p.s. I know this subject is like 2 years old but I would like some help please. 

I am not a DAW master but the normal trip is forgetting to set up a separate track for the vocals. Its been a while but IIRC I had to go into HD Edit and route two chains too #1 for guitar and #2 for vocs. Hard pan left and right to keep them separate. The mic should be picking up the amp now - watch your levels. :)

Plug headphones into the POD to see if you can hear the vocals there. That will tell you if the POD is setup correctly. If you hear the vocals then it's a DAW problem. If you don't hear vocals then it's a POD problem. That will at least narrow down the focus for a solution.

Thanks to everyone. I have realized that when I tap on the mic the sound goes right back through the cab. But, my grandfather said that he might give me an old mixing board, that he doesnt use anymore, which has the capability of doing a lot. So, that could be my solution. Thank you again for your input I will keep it in mind.

It should work if you keep the Guitar as input 1 and the mic as input 2 adjust the trim knob for level.

In your DAW it is important that these be separate tracks and pan these two hard left and right as mentioned and when monitoring as well as you could get phasing due to timing differences between the

Guitar and the Mic round trip into your DAW. 

The Mic'd signal will be milliseconds behind the HD. It may be necessary to mute the mic'd side while recording.

You will need to either record in your DAW via the s/pdif output into your interface or use the

balanced outputs into your interface.

Also the USB into your DAW should also work and be the easiest. Make sure in your DAW preferences under audio you select POD HD Left for one track and on another track select Right.

Once recorded you can shift the mic'd Amp track on the time line by matching the wave forms up.

Then you can mix and pan as desired.