Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

NFX Day - My First Hour With Helix Floor

DrBonkersSndLab

I finally jumped in the pool and was able to get my Helix Floor from Alto Music. It arrived with no issues. L6 really did a nice job with the packaging design.

Right out of the box, I hooked up some phones and plugged in my Squier VM Jazzmaster SS and my Jaguar SS bass. I use those two to test any new piece of gear out because they are the noisiest instruments I own and the Jazzmaster pickups can be brutal if the preset makers go a little crazy adding mid range or treble.

Really nice job with the factory presets as I could cobble together a few and do a gig today with total confidence. There's no insane volume spikes between presets on the meat & potatoes tones and the factory IR cabs are not super dark or have a mid range honk like with some other modelers I have either auditioned or owned in the past.

The interface is great too, once I got the feel for the joystick. The capacitive buttons and expression pedal will seem to hold up to my clod hopper-like feet. The UI is pretty intuitive.

I can't wait to get more under the hood and see how to hot rod things, but the UI does not have a steep learning curve at all.

As a longtime Fractal Audio Axe-FX II owner, color me very impressed in terms of bang for the buck.

• Like 1